best fox calibre

Davyo

There has been a lot of debate previously about this, a look through history may help, it will also show there isn't one! :good:

There will only be a best one for your circumstances, but we don't know what your circumstances are!

Edited by Dekers

.223 = cheap to run, quieter, large range of factory ammo available most places, plenty of new/used rifles around.

.243 = a bit more expensive to run, a bit louder, large range of factory ammo available most places, plenty of new/used rifles around, legal for all deer if the occasion arises, the most adaptable caliber around in my opinion.

On pure balistics the .243 win 4000fps with a 55grn 3650 fps with a 70 grn, this takes a lot of beating and if its real windy you can now get some 80-90 grn 6mm varmint bullets.

That said its not always about balistic advantage if your going to be shooting under 200 yds and want a cheap to keep lightweight fox gun that moderates realy well the .22 Hornet takes some beating.

Whats most important is what you need as we dont all shoot the same ground or put them to use in the same way. I own the above two and find every base covered from rangey shots on the hill to cubbing time near the earths etc

.204 - 4250fps (so it says on the box) Hornady Varmint Express 32g Vmax Awesome fox round 1" trajectory over 250yds !! Virtually no recoil - easy to stay on shot.

I should add - It suits me - we're all different !!

HTH

Edited by V8 90

there all good. i like different calibres for different reasons. so have 17 rem, 22/250 and 243 as its deer legal. not had chance to use the 243 yet but a good bullet range choice.

3650 fps seams alot out of 70 grain bullets in 243 though ! didnt know they could be stoked that high and what barrel length is needed to get these speeds. i would have guessed it would have been in the 3450 to 3500 mark for this weight bullet.. but havent loaded any up to try over chrono yet. will do in the future.

not all forces will give 243 just for fox though. bear that in mind before picking. would be best to ask your force if you could have one just for fox

Unfortunately we go round and round with the regional lottery here yet again, the Home Office guide clearly states the .243 IS fox suitable!

there all good. i like different calibres for different reasons. so have 17 rem, 22/250 and 243 as its deer legal. not had chance to use the 243 yet but a good bullet range choice.

3650 fps seams alot out of 70 grain bullets in 243 though ! didnt know they could be stoked that high and what barrel length is needed to get these speeds. i would have guessed it would have been in the 3450 to 3500 mark for this weight bullet.. but havent loaded any up to try over chrono yet. will do in the future.

It will go faster but only if you are totally sure of what your doing. 24" barrel will do it easy, these figures are published data i do push them a bit harder myself

Dedicated fox round upto 300 YDS in the right hands get a 223, it's cheap to run, if you have deer also ,get a 243 it will drop both simples,

Atb flynny

My mate uses a .223 rem (indeed a few do) and i have total confidence he will drop any fox up to 300yds in reasonable conditions. If you aint a well practised shot or shoot in very exposed locations i doubt anything with more umph will help. Personally i fancy a .260 rem running a 95grn v-max perhaps? but i can see my local area being difficult over that ( i do live in a very exposed area) so as varmint 6.5mm bullets are not as quick and easy to obtain as 6mm i shall stick to what i have done fine with. .243 is a poor choice if your on a closed cert as most land is only cleared for .22 cf mind Lancs seem to like .223 max when clearing foxing land, it dont effect me but the buyer should note this

With North East as his location the choice of calibre will no doubt be decided by what firearms department he comes under. All the centre fires mentioned will work very well it is just to open a question to answer.

Plenty of good second hand rifles around so price should not be the issue, and with the backing of 2 farms and well written letters the reason to posses seems to be ok.

If they will allow a .243 for foxes then I would go for that as you never know what is around the corner because thing change and opportunities arise, in truth ask you department as it is a variation and plan ahead.

TEH

Thanks for all the advise lads, gives me something to think about, i will be speaking to both Durham (who i am licenced under) and north yorks (the area i shoot) on Monday.Reason being that the farms are in North Yorkshire area & incase of a land survey on the additional two farms has to be carried out by North Yorkshire FLO.

I've met the FLO from NY(nice bloke) before as he had a walk around and survey the 1st farm & pass it off as it had not been prevoiusly surveyed.The 2 additional farms are neighbouring farms so hopefully this will extend the boundries.

Again Many thanks.