Equestrian

scolopax

Horses- who needs 'em !! Whats the point of 'em!

They seem to be surely and steadily taking over the countryside. From a personal point of view one day I would like a little place out in the sticks with a couple of acres, now these two acres suddenly transform said property(ies) into an 'equestrian property' therefore sending already excessive prices to stratospheric heights. Its getting to the point where my previous dislike of horses, or more particularly 'horsiculture', has developed into a hatred.

On the same theme I know of a couple of game shoots starting to get seriously effected by the the horsey brigade and losing drives because of fear of frightening dobbin and his chums. I myself have lost a gem of a spot which gave us a drive on our rough days, owner decided to bin his few sheep and let out the paddocks to the horsey lot, end of shooting for us. Another shoot I am involved in looks like it may fold as horses are steadily taking over the farm and there is starting to be conflict between us and the horse owners(mainly when they insist on taking dobbin for a gallop down our game strips with a couple of jack russells in tow- then they get all miffed when we ask them not to).

Farmers aint exactly keen on them either, the issue is nobody cares when they are on the recieving end of selling such land. Personally i respect the fact that the Horse has been with us for a long time and gives many a great deal of enjoyment.

When one opertunity closes another opens though, my mate landed a great rabbiting permission for .22 and ferrets on the basis of quietness. Horses and rabbit holes dont get along so good

I'm quite biased against horses after a few bad experiences with horse owning partners.......but on my permission my uncle breeds horses (no money in dairy anymore!) and there are a lot about. I do all types of shooting there from clay pigeon to rimfire and my .223. Especially when clay pigeon shooting I am usually in a field next to maybe 10 -15 horses. I have never seen any of them get scared, indeed most are very curious about what is going on and you can see them sticking their muzzles over the gate to have a look.

A broken leg is a far worse enemy than a few bangs.

Edited by Livefast123

With horses if they are used to the noise of shot guns and shooting in general and have become uccustomed to it on a rugular basis since foals then i agree they may not be jumpy or get stresses. But on the other hand if it is new to them then they may very likely show signs of stress and be extremly jumpy and try to run away, which as a flight animal is there defence system in action,in turn it can cause untold damage and even death due to broken limbs.

As for game shoots i know of a few that actually give dates times and the location of shoots before hand to the local livery yards, so to try and avoid any unnessary upset.

And as for small pockets of land being sold off to horse'y owners, all i can say is the world aint getting any bigger is it.

Oh! and you may have guessed yes the Mrs has got horses, so did my mother & my sister, i have nowt to do with the horses but they enable me to spend as much time out shooting as i could possibly wish for.

My wife has a horse that is soon to become two and over the years going to events with her there are definately two types of horse owner. There are the ones that have the horses because they like having them and appreciate the countryside and that a little give and take such as asking the farmer if they can ride in his stubble field, even though the law in Scotland says you can do it anyway, or putting the horse in the stable for the night when the farmer asks as he has some fence work or something to do goes a long way. As my wife says being polite costs nothing and goes a long way with people. You also tend to find these people have grown up in or on farms and understand the way the countryside works.

Then there are the ones who are usually 'Townies' who have to have the latest gear, most expensive and cleanest (as its done nothing more than bump up a kerb) 4x4 they can buy and think that they can do whatever they please as they are Horse owners and have no understanding of even the basics of the countryside. They can be summed up as the ones that think Bacon and Milk comes from the supermarket and see the horse as a status symbol to boast about. Luckily most of the horse owners around me are the first kind but there are the odd one who can't understand why the farmer is going ballistic as they have just galloped over his field of 'Grass' that is in fact winter barley.

Havinng ridden professionally over the sticks many years ago, I don't have any problem with us all living side by side, I wouldn't expect any responsible shooter to let off both barrels whilst horse and rider walks past, neither would I expect any responsible rider to gallop over the game crop. Education! Education! Education!

My wife has a horse that is soon to become two and over the years going to events with her there are definately two types of horse owner. There are the ones that have the horses because they like having them and appreciate the countryside and that a little give and take such as asking the farmer if they can ride in his stubble field, even though the law in Scotland says you can do it anyway, or putting the horse in the stable for the night when the farmer asks as he has some fence work or something to do goes a long way. As my wife says being polite costs nothing and goes a long way with people. You also tend to find these people have grown up in or on farms and understand the way the countryside works.

Then there are the ones who are usually 'Townies' who have to have the latest gear, most expensive and cleanest (as its done nothing more than bump up a kerb) 4x4 they can buy and think that they can do whatever they please as they are Horse owners and have no understanding of even the basics of the countryside. They can be summed up as the ones that think Bacon and Milk comes from the supermarket and see the horse as a status symbol to boast about. Luckily most of the horse owners around me are the first kind but there are the odd one who can't understand why the farmer is going ballistic as they have just galloped over his field of 'Grass' that is in fact winter barley.

A very good summing up of some horse owner's.

Another good point to mention is that the vast majority of them are full of pomp on the money side- most dont have two farthings to rub together but would like to give the opinion they are loaded.

I had a good few run ins with a local so called equestrian center which opened up next to my shoot. I soon found with the horse mob when you give an inch they will take a mile and keep going for more in their provocative. In fact relations deteriated that much I had pens left open and general aggravating vandalism which I could only aportion down to them.

However they didnt have the boxes ticked on the planning side, local councils always a bit touchcy about agricultural land and change of use to equestrian as it is a quick buck on the sale for the landowner and it ended up getting closed down.

End result-My farmer buys the land and the whole lot goes under the plough and I get that to shoot and all.

I offered my services in the demolition line as well, it was more than a pleasure for me to stick a digger bucket through all the stables they left behind as a weekend favour.

Just remember they'll always love the horse more than you :hmm:

And I'll always hate them more than the horse.

We have fat women round here whose husbands have bought them nags to give them something to do and keep their minds off the tradesmen. They ride wherever they like and trample whatever they like. They'll buy a scrap of paddock on the edge of the village, fill it with junk and 4X4s, surround it with white plastic fencing till the place looks like a gyppo camp, add an eyesore tin shed, a **** heap and half an old van full of hay then hang a sign on the gate saying Home Farm. Then before you know it they want planning

permission to build a rustic dolls house under agticultural need.

There should be a rural fantasy tax for wasting good agricultural land.

They don't like unmoderated .308s when they trespass off the rights of way. I long to find one up to its knee in a badger hole with a broken neck. (The fat woman that is, the horse can be used for glue).

Edited by Gimlet

Most "equestrian" setups are unlawful anyway.....grazing is one thing, a full on livery is not agricultural use......most of them out there are operating without planning but they go un-noticed....

People wonder why rural roads are so busy with traffic etc, roads flood, the list goes on - change of land has a big effect on this and should be kept an eye on by local councils - but that's another debate!

Most "equestrian" setups are unlawful anyway.....grazing is one thing, a full on livery is not agricultural use......most of them out there are operating without planning but they go un-noticed....

People wonder why rural roads are so busy with traffic etc, roads flood, the list goes on - change of land has a big effect on this and should be kept an eye on by local councils - but that's another debate!

Correct. At the far end of the valley where I live there is ancient chalk downland, some of it open and some in steep combes with woods on one side. That land has been seasonaly grazed by cattle and sheep almost continously since the iron-age. The plant life there was glorious. The estate was sold a few years ago and a horse stabling business set up there. The old farm is 2 miles up a single track road. The village is a constant traffic jam of 4X4s and horse lorries. That beautiful downland is a sea of nettles and docks, all wild flowers gone and the pasture land is like concrete. Every inch of it needs sub-soiling. The site is supposed to be an SSSI but its been utterly destroyed. There is a shortage of grazing land locally and yet the downland which is too steep to cultivate and no use for anything but grazing is unused, neglected and ecologically derelict. Its criminal.

Thankfully, the majority of post on this thread indicate a sensible, intelligent and considerate approach to other country pursuits and participants. The other two posters are frankly as ignorant as it is possible to be. And the comment "They don't like unmoderated .308s when they trespass off the rights of way" is about as irresponsible and life threatening as you can get. I just hope that a couple of youngsters don't stray off the bridleway and fall foul of your narrow minded lunacy.

If you still don't understand my thought train, run your views past your FEO on your FAC renewal. :yes:

Some of the attitudes on this forum beggar belief.

Thankfully, the majority of post on this thread indicate a sensible, intelligent and considerate approach to other country pursuits and participants. The other two posters are frankly as ignorant as it is possible to be. And the comment "They don't like unmoderated .308s when they trespass off the rights of way" is about as irresponsible and life threatening as you can get. I just hope that a couple of youngsters don't stray off the bridleway and fall foul of your narrow minded lunacy.

If you still don't understand my thought train, run your views past your FEO on your FAC renewal. :yes:

Some of the attitudes on this forum beggar belief.

Get off your own high horse before you hurt yourself. One of the reasons we have clear rights of way markers on the grounds I shoot, and why there are signs reminding people that they must not stray off them, and why also we have signs up warning of pest control and deer stalking in progress is precisely because horses don't like firearms. What are we we supposed to do, give up estate management so we can show a considerate and intelligent approach to criminal tresspass? I do not deliberately discharge firearms in the presence of horses to alarm them but I have taken a shot from a high seat and heard a horse shy that I did not know was on the other side of the hedge in the field behind me hacking across spring barley half a mile away from the nearest bridleway. And its me who's bloody irresponsible is it?

I actually quite like them as an animal - if they are well behaved - what I don't like is the owners allowing them to dump all over the road and then they do nothing - also the look you get from them sometimes wjhen you come round a corner on a bike at 60 in a national speed limit road and they shake there heads and wave fists - if the bloody thing can't be trusted ion the road then it shouldn't be on the road! keep them in fields and woods!

I would however like to get my daughter into horse riding at one time as I think it would demonstrate the importance of taking care of something daily - but I wouldn't want my daughter on a road on a horse!

Regards,

Gixer

Like Gixer I also like them, they are a bit like beef really as the closest comparison but generally the steak is slightly more tender in my experience.

On the getting on with them well the fact the occasional one has a rider worth oogling then there is that side to things, on our shoot we get on fine they know where they can ride and we don't shoot in fields while they are in there.

I actually quite like them as an animal - if they are well behaved - what I don't like is the owners allowing them to dump all over the road and then they do nothing - also the look you get from them sometimes wjhen you come round a corner on a bike at 60 in a national speed limit road and they shake there heads and wave fists - if the bloody thing can't be trusted ion the road then it shouldn't be on the road! keep them in fields and woods!

I would however like to get my daughter into horse riding at one time as I think it would demonstrate the importance of taking care of something daily - but I wouldn't want my daughter on a road on a horse!

Regards,

Gixer

Agree with all of your post Gixer. Unfortunately the roads and users have changed over the years. Like you I'm a bike rider and I don't have the confidence of my youth to ride even close to the national limit now unless its 100% clear view. There are too many variables round the corner now, ramblers, cyclists three abreast are amongst them!!

There are a few arrogant horse riders that do as you say, the look, but they are frowned upon by genuine courteous riders. My other half is a rider, and nothing gets her goat more than bad manners, ie not waving a thanks for slowing down etc. Horses are a creature of flight and even the quietest ones can spook if suddenly frightened. I used to ride when I was a kid, and you had to use roads to get to the fun riding places. But its a different world now. No doodling A35's and Ford Anglias its all flat out on the speed limit or over. So I wouldn't ride on roads and your wise with your comments about your daughter.

I would say that its a very good direction to point children especially girls . Up at sparrow ****, responsibility for others, discipline, hard work, out in the fresh air and it keeps them away from the bus shelters and the binge drinking! Ok it can be expensive, but as parents we have to pay some sort of insurance to keep them on the straight and narrow. :yes:

Edited by turbo33