Christmas cheeses

Gimlet

Who's into a bit of cheese at Christmas?

I like to stock up with a few favouites:

Black Bomber chedder

Gorgonzola

Roquefort

Blue Vinney

Bit of goats cheese

Something smoked.

Etc..

And this year I thought I'd try some Stinking Bishop. I can't decide whether the dominant note is sour underpants or dog ****.

Dear God in heaven, what were they thinking of! I had to try very hard NOT to think of all the very worst things you could eat.

This stuff is cheese isn't it? Or am I not using it right?

:oops: :wacko:

And I will be having a selection of Goat, Sheep and Cow Cheese courtesy of Wobbly Bottom Farm. My favourite being a firm Goats cheese with chillies called "Hot Wobbly" and a Cow Cheddar with Black Pepper, Mustard and real Ale, great as a Welch Rarebit.

Merry Christmas to you all

I have been given some gorgeous chilli jam which will go very well with hard cheeses like Manchego.

One of my faves in the world is beaufort de montagne cheese, very very very expensive but beautiful stuff.

And a very ripe Epoisses is to die for.

Manchego! I'll have to go shoppimg again now.

Epoisses sounds like Stinking Bishop. Something died to make that. Perhaps the absence of alcohol is where I'm going wrong.

Edited by Gimlet

Epoisses sounds like Stinking Bishop.

Epoisses is a thing of beauty but it is rather gamey. Carrying one unsealed is, I gather, discouraged on French public transport.

It tastes a lot better than it smells, though in fact I like the smell too.

Get one in Waitrose and wait for the to go about a week past the sell by date and don't keep it in the fridge for the last few days.

Eat at room temp with crusty bread and a spoon and something like a Mersault.

I can take or leave any pudding / dessert, I am a cheese man (oo-er) The only reason to have dessert is for the Dessert wine.

Blacksticks Blue is one of my favourite cheeses.

That's true, I love dessert wine and it goes very well with cheese if you want an alternative to the port.

Just googled Blacksticks Blue, looks nice.

None of my family like the cheeses with add-ins e.g. white stilton with apricots, Wensleydale with cranberries. So this year it's plain & simple again:

• Montgomery mature cheddar
  • Blue stilton
  • A quality Red Leicester
  • A nice gooey Goats Cheese

Thats a fine selection, Montgomery mature cheddar takes some beating.

Stinking Bishop - yeuuk - smells like manure to me and tastes pretty much like it smells - never again!!!!

Try a piece of Manchego spread with a small smear of honey and sprinkled very lightly with fresh ground coffee - a Jamie Oliver concoction that is a favourite in our house.

Merry Christmas to everyone