4`s to big

hi all,

went out yesterday got wet as always but for the couple of hours i had shooting i desided to us a number 4 shot on crows for the first time i`ve ever used 4`s before on any birds,the crows i hit were dead in the air,is using 4`s over kill,i always get 6`s for pigeons and will stick with them for pigeon but i was impressed with the 4`s on crows and may try them on ducks as well.

the only thing i`m concerned with is what damage the 4`s will do to the meat on ducks, so anybody shot 4`s??

I use 4 as a 3rd shot or for high birds (pigeon ducks or crow) and is fine. If you plan to shoot them close in maybe is too big but it also depends on what tipe of shell you're using (36 gr with cup you could wast the quarry but 30-32 gr with fiber or bior should be fine). Though everyone has his idea...

Franco

When it comes to crows if it kills em dead 4s are good at range as are 3s when roost shooting.

Better to go big and overkill than too small and wound birds.

I won't use smaller than 5s when crow bashing,unless one comes over close when pigeon shooting then its a six as thats whats in the gun.

As for 4s on duck only non toxic in England if steel that's ideal for splashes inland shooting, ponds and most duck drives.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Use steel or other non toxic on duck or you put all lead ammo at risk in future. I have been using 36grm steel no.3 on crows as its my regular duck shell and its as good as 36grm 5's in lead. I have shot crows with 46grm of number 1 lead in the past and cannot say it killed any better than 36grn of no5 lead, hit them well and they are dead, just used them because I had plenty. Taken some seriously high crows out with steel BB from the ten bore for practice, they don't half take a while to hit the deck one disappeared into the mud that was a meadow before all this rain the other week - just the tips of its folded wings and tail was poking up, that's what you call "plugging a crow"

hi all,

went out yesterday got wet as always but for the couple of hours i had shooting i desided to us a number 4 shot on crows for the first time i`ve ever used 4`s before on any birds,the crows i hit were dead in the air,is using 4`s over kill,i always get 6`s for pigeons and will stick with them for pigeon but i was impressed with the 4`s on crows and may try them on ducks as well.

the only thing i`m concerned with is what damage the 4`s will do to the meat on ducks, so anybody shot 4`s??

If you are happy with 4s on crows stick with it,its not over kill as dead is dead I use Bismuth 4s on duck with no problems at all apart from the price.

Really?! Well I never knew that! I dont shoot duck so its not something I have to worry aboout :lol:

No disrespect but I notice you're a member of BASC, who do put out a lot of information about the lead shot rules.

The fact that you're unaware of the existing laws just reaffirms my opinion that for some reason the information isn't getting out to the masses.

I don't go deer stalking, so I have no idea about the laws surrounding that particular sport, and skip through any article in the BASC magazine concerning deer. Obviously you're not a wildfowler so in all probability skip through articles on non toxic shot?

As I said previously, no disrespect intended to you or BASC, but it seems clear to me that something else needs to be done to inform ALL shooters about the laws governing the use of non toxic shot alternatives. :hmm:

If I was going to get 'into' fowling, or stalking, or whatever, then I'd read up on it a bit more before I went out and actually did it. I joined BASC for the insurance - I get their quarterly magazines which to be honest I never ever read, the last 3 are on my bookshelf still in the wrappers.

My work commitments mean I'm away from home for at LEAST a week at a time, usually its 3 weeks to a few months on the road before I get home for a weekend and then my main priority certainly isnt to go and get a gun out of the cabinet :lol:

If I get time to have a walk round with a gun, its usually once every few months around my uncles farm and occasionally bag the odd pigeon, or a few crows and a squirrel. :good:

I get their quarterly magazines which to be honest I never ever read, the last 3 are on my bookshelf still in the wrappers.

Its like a right of passage from boy to man to read the BASC mag while on the throne. However,since you're a girlie this might be flawed on you. :whistling:

Seriously though,its a good read.

Like printing an information panel on the side of cartridge boxes ?

I'm not sure if anyone reads the info on cartridge boxes? I might be wrong though?

As Welsh Lamb has said she doesn't read the magazine, and many others I suspect skip parts they don't find relevant. I'm not sure what the answer is, but it's clear to me that the message isn't getting through at the moment.

How many people would hand on heart say that if a duck flew over within range while you were out decoying pigeons over rape, you would not take a shot at it with a lead cartridge? Honestly!?

Also assuming ducks were in season at the time

That's not the point though. It's illegal, in exactly the same way it's illegal to shoot game out of season, or protected species. You can't just break the law because you don't agree with it.

My original point though, was that an awful lot of people seem unaware of the law regarding non toxic shot, despite the shooting organisations publicising the issue on a regular basis. It was aimed more as a question as to what else could be done to ensure compliance.

How many people would hand on heart say that if a duck flew over within range while you were out decoying pigeons over rape, you would not take a shot at it with a lead cartridge? Honestly!?

I wouldn't!

I'd guess that if it flew over a wildfowler, they would leave it (or quickly try to change cartridge). There are alot of stats published in the shooting mags that shows non-toxic shot compliance to be well over 90% in most wildfowling clubs.

However the same cannot be said for game/rough shoots where compliance is terrible. And I don't think this is due to people not knowing the law, I think most just turn a blind eye to it. There's often videos/write ups posted on here with people use lead shot for wildfowl!!

I wouldn't be surprised if lead is banned completely in the future for this reason.

I wouldnt even think about shooting it with lead.

I would however do my best to quickly change to steel if i had enough time. If not i'd just leave it to fly past and observe it!

If I was going to get 'into' fowling, or stalking, or whatever, then I'd read up on it a bit more before I went out and actually did it. I joined BASC for the insurance - I get their quarterly magazines which to be honest I never ever read, the last 3 are on my bookshelf still in the wrappers.

My work commitments mean I'm away from home for at LEAST a week at a time, usually its 3 weeks to a few months on the road before I get home for a weekend and then my main priority certainly isnt to go and get a gun out of the cabinet :lol:

If I get time to have a walk round with a gun, its usually once every few months around my uncles farm and occasionally bag the odd pigeon, or a few crows and a squirrel. :good:

Well if you just want the insurance try the NGO. About half the price of BASC