full choke

Liam-1990

Does anyone use full choke for decoying just bought a full choke semi auto and used it for abit of roost shooting and did pretty well so goin to try it decoying but will take my beretta with 1/2 and 1/4 in just incase I really cant get on with it.

If you mean , you bought a fixed full choked semi auto , then you have no alternative but to use the full choke , if not a 1/2 choke would be ideal.

Maybe using 8,s , would be an idea.

Actionpigeons, I`m afraid to say that Motty is more correct than your good self. It`s a complex subject and you might want to take a look at the BASC website. Type "steel shot" into the site search engine.

There are a number of sources of recommendation about the use of steel shot but the one most often misquoted is about the use of half choke. The bit that most people miss out, which Motty is obviously aware of,is that that recommendation only applies to shot size of 4mm or larger, so he is quite correct.

I can`t quite figure out why you would think that it is O.K. to use steel shot through an old gun carrying more than half choke, and not a modern one. Be interesting to hear your reasoning.

Catweazle, If you don`t know the official classification of "high performance" steel shot then you really need to read the BASC information on steel shot as a matter of some urgency.

I`m unsure why a reloading guru would know any more about a subject, the technical facts of which, have been in the public domain for years.

Catweazle, If you don`t know the official classification of "high performance" steel shot then you really need to read the BASC information on steel shot as a matter of some urgency.

No urgency at all, I don't use it. However if I did feel the need to go wildfowling, the chokes for my Beretta are HP proofed and marked as to whether they are suitable for steel or not.

Excellent. Thats the beauty of Pigeonwatch. A thread like this can help us all expand our knowledge.

I wrote that some manufacturers call large shot "high performance" in case a shooter buying some was not sure what it means. It doesn't seem unreasonable to make that comment.

If you really want to "expand our knowledge" why not post the HP shot information that you say is widely available ( and I'm sure it is ).

No need to post. It`s readily available to members and non members alike on the BASC website.

When one has read the available information one realises that blanket statements such as "It`s recommended that you use no more than half choke when using steel shot" are technically inaccurate and, unless challenged and placed into context, soon assume a truth of their own which is at variance with the facts.

It is merely this that I`m attempting to draw peoples attention to.

:hmm: :hmm: BB

Maybe should explain, when I say "If you have an old gun that has a fixed choke you may get away with it"

I am talking about some thing like an old Baikal that you can shoot rabbits with or dig them out with it, not an old English gun.

I did use an old Baikal some time ago myself that was 3/4 choke with steel.

Edited by Actionpigeons

Actionpigeons, I`m afraid to say that Motty is more correct than your good self. It`s a complex subject and you might want to take a look at the BASC website. Type "steel shot" into the site search engine.

There are a number of sources of recommendation about the use of steel shot but the one most often misquoted is about the use of half choke. The bit that most people miss out, which Motty is obviously aware of,is that that recommendation only applies to shot size of 4mm or larger, so he is quite correct.

I can`t quite figure out why you would think that it is O.K. to use steel shot through an old gun carrying more than half choke, and not a modern one. Be interesting to hear your reasoning.

he may be right but I am going by what my gunsmith says.

As for using an old gun Maybe should explain, when I say "If you have an old gun that has a fixed choke you may get away with it"

I am talking about some thing like an old Baikal that you can shoot rabbits with or dig them out with, not an old English gun.

After chatting with my gunsmith I did use an old Baikal some time ago myself that was 3/4 choke with steel while I was waiting for my good gun to be repaired.

Edited by Actionpigeons

i use for all my shooting a 1974 Eibar SxS , full and 3/4 choke, i put this in to the gunsmith for a service and on getting it back off him,he (the gunsmith) told me i can use any steel shot in it as long as it is no 4 and smaller ie 5s 6s 7s and so on, was gutted to say the least as i had just been given a slab of gamebore 3s in steel plastic wad,i have use steel through it without any problem at all but was thinking of getting it adjusted to 1/2 and 3/4

it will take no 5s all day long and as said i have never had a problem with it at all

Edited by evo