full choke

Liam-1990

It might come as good news to you if I say that your gunsmith has misunderstood the regulations.

They refer to the shot size in millimeters. The 4mm they stipulate is roughly BB in old money.

Since your cartridges are no.3, which is significantly smaller than 4mm, you can quite safely use them.

I`ve just had a look at the Gamebore website where it quite correctly states that shot size no.3 or larger should only be used through a high performance steel proved gun.

The shot size in this instance is what puts the cartridge into the HP bracket and is something that I had completely overlooked when replying, my not having taken the age and level of proof of your older gun into acount.

Your gunsmith is indeed correct about the shot size for your particular gun, although this comes about by virtue of its level of proof rather than anything to do with the choke.

I got that wrong and I stand corrected.

Guest cookoff013

the british guntade assoc. suggests 1/4 choke max for steel,

-just to throw a cat among the pigeons.

i use full / full in my mk70 sporter with clay loads.

steel i tend to use a pump action set on 1/4

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I shoot full through my Hatsan semi-auto and shoot fine, I use it when roost shooting, Game shooting and when decoying. I find it gives me the range I need if birds arne't coming in close on certain days and it also results in alot more clean kills, I pace a shot out the other day that was 88 paces, not bad with a 28grm load!

Of course full choke will do the job,as would extra full,but you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.The vast majority of well decoyed pigeons will fall to a gun with no more than a 1/4 choke with average ranges of 25-40 yards.All a tightly choked gun will do is put more pellets into a smaller area meaning that birds are harder to hit and more like mincemeat when you do.If your fieldcraft skills are up to scratch then I dont see any need to use the limited advantage that a full choked gun would give you in increased range,my Browning(multi)is set at 1/4 and 1/2 for most of its life but I have used a gun with cylinder and 1/4 for many years with no problems.If I had a semi with fixed choke as my only gun I would get it bored out to 1/2 choke.

As you can probably tell from my signature tight choke is all I use. I work at a clay ground and the coach I help alot of the time insists that you never need tight choke on anything because range isn't effected. I personally disagree, well for starters the pattern remains alot smaller at a longer range with full and that's hat I use for pigeons, game and clay's through my semi-auto. He often wonders why he dosen't get clean kills at a longer range and I solely believe it is because his pattern is alot looser than mine is!

I use 3/4 and full from a 32" miroku trap gun. It works fine in close or out long,it's about getting the lead on the target. and as far as blasting a bird at 20 yards or so, for 15p to 25p from my local game dealer depending on time of the year, i really dont care. If you have a multi choke gun then half choke will do the job fine over decoys. If you learn to shoot with alot of choke in the gun you will end up better for it in the long run fact. when you clay shoot, you get to see the whole shot picture much clearer and more defined making better prcission and your mental picture becoming more precise. You can always shoot 28gram shells to reduce the lead if you need to.

• 2 weeks later...

Fully Choked Remmington over Decoys, does mince the close ones a bit though.

Interesting conversation on steel shot, I've got given a load of it & was going to use it on rabbits but dont think I'll bother now, the boy shoots an old Charles Boswell (about 120 years old!) I'll definately not be letting him near it

• 1 month later...

I believe that the shooting guru George Digweed shoots half and half for everything, I personally find half choke perfect for my semi auto when pigeon shooting. I use quarter and half for clays, I would use half and half had I another Beretta Optima half in the bag.

But in all honesty I think it makes little difference, other than reasurence for the shooter, I can hit a 45-50yd clay just as well with a 1/4 as I can with a 1/2.

My advice would be to pick a choke and stay with it.

I believe that the shooting guru George Digweed shoots half and half for everything, I personally find half choke perfect for my semi auto when pigeon shooting. I use quarter and half for clays, I would use half and half had I another Beretta Optima half in the bag.

But in all honesty I think it makes little difference, other than reasurence for the shooter, I can hit a 45-50yd clay just as well with a 1/4 as I can with a 1/2.

My advice would be to pick a choke and stay with it.

George uses full and full for everything, he did however have a new set of barrels made for a comp with 3/8 & 5/8 chokes because the clays were close and fast crossers.

I have started using full in my semi for walking around the fields as I was missing pigeons that are flying off out of trees. I'm having amazing success with this as I currently stand at 26 kills for 31 shots with it in.

I'm going to stick with 1/4 for decoying though

Used Berretta auto's for years until i sold last 1 a couple of years ago. Used mostly quarter choke for rough shooting full for foxing. Most of my shooting now is with a berretta OU bored quarter and half. Getting another auto soon and the quarter will be used i'm sure. :good:

I have had some spectacular kills with my autos with 3/4 and full chokes,and as we don't sell the pigeons or crows I don't care that some are hit hard.

Have even started using my 3/4 fixed choke auto for bolting bunnies also,although 1/4 and 1/2 will do the job even if hit from behind with say 32grm of 5's,but it is certainly best to hit them 'up front' when going away to ensure a clean kill.

Have done a lot of pigeon shooting over the years and mostly with an old browning auto 5, fixed full choke. I have also shot with a miroku 1/4 and 1/2 choke but sometimes found that the 1/4 would rattle high/long birds whereas the full choke would bring them down dead in the air or miss completely. Overall I found the full choke gave a better kill ratio and did not make a mess of closer birds.

That just my experience having shot thousands.

You know that is wierd I am sure I heard him say in one of his videos he shoots half and half? but I think he could use a frigging catapult and hit them!!!

:lol:

This is from his interview

GD : Well I use a Perazzi MX2000 Sporter, Gamebore White Gold cartridges and I use Pilla Hi-Def Glasses (Previously reviewed on ShootClay here).

My gun is 100% standard, full & full chokes, because I firmly believe if you cant hit it with full chokes and a White Gold 7.5, then it cant be killed! Last year, I asked Perazzi to make me a spare set of barrels because some FITASC targets were being set that were about 15-25ft away. Every target needs respect, but I felt that after shooting in Austria where I missed 3 or 4 of those and lost a shoot by 2 targets, that I was handicapping myself by having full choke. So Perazzi made me an exactly matched set of barrels, same weight etc. but with 3/8 & 5/8 chokes.

http://shootclay.co.uk/2011/07/30/interview-george-digweed-mbe-19-times-world-champion/