The way the wind blows

JDog

DSC04336.jpg

Sir Alec Douglas Home, later Lord Home of the Hirsel, wrote an autobiography of his life in politics entitled 'The way the wind blows'. It was really a reference to the direction of the wind in and around his family estate. With the wind in certain directions sport with a gun or a fishing rod could be calculated. It has to be said that he was more interested in shooting and fishing than he was in politics even though he got to be Prime Minister!

I am a great believer in never missing a good wind for pigeon shooting and today was no exception. Although I had a full day's work booked I could not resist the lure of the strong wind and dry conditions and after half a day I loaded up the car with the dogs and my kit and set off.

When I got to the chosen field I could see immediately that I would never be able to keep a hide from blowing down even in the lee of a wall or a hedge so I made the decision to stand in a very tiny copse between two rape fields to see whether I could get a shot or not. One rape field had a banger in it which helped get the birds in the air at regular intervals.

I would defy anyone to achieve a high percentage of kills to cartridges in those conditions. The birds were blowing about all over the place. Sometimes when I pulled the trigger the pigeon was nowhere to be seen. This was pigeon shooting at it's best and in two hours I picked 33 pigeons. Not many opportunities to shoot in these conditions come along and they have to be taken when they do.

Please do not ask how many cartridges I used!

Edited by JDog

DSC04336.jpg

Sir Alec Douglas Home, later Lord Home of the Hirsel, wrote an autobiography of his life in politics entitled 'The way the wind blows'. It was really a reference to the direction of the wind in and around his family estate. With the wind in certain directions sport with a gun or a fishing rod could be calculated. It has to be said that he was more interested in shooting and fishing than he was in politics even though he got to be Prime Minister!

I am a great believer in never missing a good wind for pigeon shooting and today was no exception. Although I had a full day's work booked I could not resist the lure of the strong wind and dry conditions and after half a day I loaded up the car with the dogs and my kit and set off.

When I got to the chosen field I could see immediately that I would never be able to keep a hide from blowing down even in the lee of a wall or a hedge so I made the decision to stand in a very tiny copse between two rape fields to see whether I could get a shot or not. One rape field had a banger in it which helped get the birds in the air at regular intervals.

I would defy anyone to achieve a high percentage of kills to cartridges in those conditions. The birds were blowing about all over the place. Sometimes when I pulled the trigger the pigeon was nowhere to be seen. This was pigeon shooting at it's best and in two hours I picked 33 pigeons. Not many opportunities to shoot in these conditions come along and they have to be taken when they do.

Please do not ask how many cartridges I used!

Dear Sir,

For s moment I thought you were describeing you eating a bad tin of beans ....hence the bad shooting in the wind....LOL

That really is a good bag when you take into account the conditions mate, well done. Even more so for you braving the elements. I dread going out in strong winds for pigeons or crows in strong winds as all of my permissions are hill farms and when the wind is blowing on them it is like trying to shoot down exorcet missiles on steroids!