Removing birds from eaves

JohnFreeman1310

Leave them alone till young fledged, as I doubt we are talking anything but starlings and their like. You must clear all nest reminants once they have gone mind you and sort the area they got in.

I might add that I ruined a 6mnth old pair of breathable waders when swallows nested on the upturned feet a while back, its your issue for not maintaining the area not thiers for using it

Edited by kent

Leave them alone till young fledged, as I doubt we are talking anything but starlings and their like. You must clear all nest reminants once they have gone mind you and sort the area they got in.

I might add that I ruined a 6mnth old pair of breathable waders when swallows nested on the upturned feet a while back, its your issue for not maintaining the area not thiers for using it

he,s only just moved into the house,,

get them every year,every year i say will get rid of them......they have a habit of flying out and having a dump on my car.......maybe next year........just had anew satellite dish put next to where they fly out ...seems a shame to get rid now they have a new perch

mikky

Perhaps bird ID needs to be clarified...........

I'm not great on bird behaviour/breeding patterns, isn't it a bit early for nesting, certainly for young!

So, they are likely to be in the process of nest building.

Unless you have a VERY protected species, get rid and Proof the area!

Perhaps bird ID needs to be clarified...........

I'm not great on bird behaviour/breeding patterns, isn't it a bit early for nesting, certainly for young!

So, they are likely to be in the process of nest building.

Unless you have a VERY protected species, get rid and Proof the area!

Blackbirds one of the early ones, eve of a house is kind of usual for em mind lol. I'd give a little time a spell of cold weather and they will fail. Then remove and proof

The current legislation:

All nesting birds are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which makes it an offence to kill, injure or take any wild bird or take, damage or destroy its nest whilst in use or being built, or take or destroy its eggs. In addition to this, for some rarer species (listed on Schedule 1 of the Act), it is an offence to disturb them while they are nest building or at or near a nest with eggs or young, or to disturb the dependent young of such a bird.

A number of bird species are also listed as Species of Principal Importance under the provisions of the NERC Act 2006. The National Planning Policy Network document ‘ODPM Circular 06/2005’ gives guidance on the treatment of Species of Principal Importance and states that local authorities should ensure that they are protected from the adverse effects of development, where appropriate, by using planning conditions or obligations.

The current legislation:

All nesting birds are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which makes it an offence to kill, injure or take any wild bird or take, damage or destroy its nest whilst in use or being built, or take or destroy its eggs. In addition to this, for some rarer species (listed on Schedule 1 of the Act), it is an offence to disturb them while they are nest building or at or near a nest with eggs or young, or to disturb the dependent young of such a bird.

A number of bird species are also listed as Species of Principal Importance under the provisions of the NERC Act 2006. The National Planning Policy Network document ‘ODPM Circular 06/2005’ gives guidance on the treatment of Species of Principal Importance and states that local authorities should ensure that they are protected from the adverse effects of development, where appropriate, by using planning conditions or obligations.

EXCEPT

Those listed on the GL! :good:

I get them regularly, though my house is thatched and its usually sparrows. You don't need to evict them just block the holes while the birds are out during the day. Don't do it in the evening after work because they will return to the house at sundown and you trap them inside.

It should be early enough in the year to exclude them before they have start sitting. I've had them over winter before and left them be till early spring so they can survive the winter.