bedroom tax

peejay

I like the idea because it annoys me to see people who aren't working in houses that are bigger than mine. I'm sure it will save us some money somehow so I'm all up for it.

Oh and for the fella who was on the radio the other day having a grumble because his kid stays over at weekends and he'll lose money because of the room the kid needs, when I was little and my parents split up my dad only had one bedroom. I had his bed and he slept on the floor. There you go - the honest working man's answer to the problem. We can't always have it all - unless we're on benefits it seems?!

But it will also affect say a couple who have lived in a house for 50+ years the man worked all his life brought their kids up there now only the old lady is left but with the new tax she cannot afford to keep the home

So chuck her in a home and give the house to a scrounging family with 4 kids a couple of huskies (seems to be the dog taking over fromthe staff) and a broken shogun to chuck on the drive or maybe a family of freeloading immigrants

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only people this affects are those claiming HOUSING BENEFIT and are under occupying.

Thats good enough in my book!

If you pay your rent yourself you have nothing to worry about!

The bit that made me laugh was singlebpeople ARE willing to give up their 2+ bedroom house to move into a single.bedroom property "BUT" there is a huge shortage of such properties!

So! There you have it. You can't move into a smaller property, But you will still have to pay for your spare room reguardless :lol: The Government have this WELL sown up :yes:

I know a few people who were interviewed by the local council and asked if they would consided taking in a Lodger?

Oh yeah! Not a problem, I am happy to share My home with some strange person off the street and trust him with my kids!

But it will also affect say a couple who have lived in a house for 50+ years the man worked all his life brought their kids up there now only the old lady is left but with the new tax she cannot afford to keep the home

So chuck her in a home and give the house to a scrounging family with 4 kids a couple of huskies (seems to be the dog taking over fromthe staff) and a broken shogun to chuck on the drive or maybe a family of freeloading immigrants

Think I'm right in saying that if over state pension age then it doesn't affect them

it effects anyone on housing benifit.

so for example ~ if youve got a 65 year old lady who's worked all her life but is now struggling to get around for health reasons and she is now claiming housing benifit she will be hit with the bed room tax, even if she's surrounded by relatives/naibours who go in to help her daily she will either have to move and loose her support network or pay the extra out.

I agree it needed looking at to stop people getting 4 bedroom farm houses on housing beinift but also common sense needed to be used which i dont think it has.

this will lead to the old and disabled who used to have a support network from naibours being lost in the system with possible terrible results

Pensioners should be moved out though after a time, as long as its done sensitively. There is no reason to say a house is for life.

Near where I grew up there was a big council estate built in the 60s. Most of the houses were given to young families and in the 70s and even into the 80s the place was really buzzing with life as the kids grew up.

Later the estate had loads of retired couples still living in the three bedroom houses after the kids had gone. There are still several old widows living there although they are dropping off their perches one by one. A friends mum only died about a year ago. They have lived there since the houses were built but for most of the time the houses have technically been underoccupied.

Other people bought them for £15,000 and they are now worth £300,000. The council rent lots of them back for a lot more than they originally sold for.

Edited by Vince Green

it effects anyone on housing benifit.

so for example ~ if youve got a 65 year old lady who's worked all her life but is now struggling to get around for health reasons and she is now claiming housing benifit she will be hit with the bed room tax, even if she's surrounded by relatives/naibours who go in to help her daily she will either have to move and loose her support network or pay the extra out.

I agree it needed looking at to stop people getting 4 bedroom farm houses on housing beinift but also common sense needed to be used which i dont think it has.

this will lead to the old and disabled who used to have a support network from naibours being lost in the system with possible terrible results

Sorry - this is wrong

Read the link. Only affects those of working age.

With regards to disabled people disabled tenant or partner who needs non resident overnight carer will be allowed an extra bedroom

Pensioners should be moved out though after a time, as long as its done sensitively. There is no reason to say a house is for life.

Near where I grew up there was a big council estate built in the 60s. Most of the houses were given to young families and in the 70s and even into the 80s the place was really buzzing with life as the kids grew up.

Later the estate had loads of retired couples still living in the three bedroom houses after the kids had gone. There are still several old widows living there although they are dropping off their perches one by one. A friends mum only died about a year ago. They have lived there since the houses were built but for most of the time the houses have technically been underoccupied.

Other people bought them for £15,000 and they are now worth £300,000. The council rent lots of them back for a lot more than they originally sold for.

I think back then you were ckeckrd out before you got a house and had to be working

This built a community spirit on these new estates but now if you keep moving people around it will kill it

Just about to take the step into social housing after 7 years on the list, housing associations have made it practically impossible for me and mine to take a house in the past due to renting, they want me in next week type of thing and the house inevitably goes to the unemployed.

The fact I have been offered a family house now is directly related to the scheme the peoples who were living in the house before would be un able to meet the cost and moved on.

Won't affect me being a worker, missed my chance for mortgage many moons ago ****** it all up the wall and social housing is the option for me to find assured tenancy.

Most my neighbours will be long term unemployed who see the houses as a right. And something they have every right to mistreat and shrug there shoulders. Bout time they got made a tad more responsible.

Karpman

my other half is in housing for our local authority and thinks this is one of the best ideas yet, why should you be able to get a larger house each time you have another child till you work up to a 4 bed then never have to downsize. It means they have to keep building large houses while a huge amount of their housing stock of that size is occupied by elderly couples. If they want to stay it simply means they have to contribute a portion.

my other half is in housing for our local authority and thinks this is one of the best ideas yet, why should you be able to get a larger house each time you have another child till you work up to a 4 bed then never have to downsize. It means they have to keep building large houses while a huge amount of their housing stock of that size is occupied by elderly couples. If they want to stay it simply means they have to contribute a portion.

I'm keen on it for purely selfish reasons to be honest, and am glad for once it is not out to vettel the working communities. I feel a tad sorry for the decent folk it may affect negatively. I have two different sex children and me and my partner both work. And like I said it has opened opportunities for us were there were none

Karpman

The main issue is the fact you used to get into the system get given a house and then just got a larger one if you needed it and at no point did you get re assessed so if you got a house through genuine need then got a good job then woopee benefit from dirt cheap rent for life and no one would ask you to move out. I know people with joint incomes of 80k plus in social housing and that is just wrong with people in genuine need waiting for one to effectively be built. The cost to the tax payer is absolutely massive

After 31 years paying in to the system i now find myself out of work due to health problems I have lost both legs and have a number of complications.

I have just been awarded housing benefit ,and employment support allowance of £71 per week in April I will have to find £10.82 out of the £71 to pay the bedroom supplement as I have a spare bedroom I had to take this two bedroom property as otherwise I would have gone to the bottom of the list it doesnt quite seem fair to me

Deershooter

After 31 years paying in to the system i now find myself out of work due to health problems I have lost both legs and have a number of complications.

I have just been awarded housing benefit ,and employment support allowance of £71 per week in April I will have to find £10.82 out of the £71 to pay the bedroom supplement as I have a spare bedroom I had to take this two bedroom property as otherwise I would have gone to the bottom of the list it doesnt quite seem fair to me

Deershooter

No mate you are an unfortunate victim of the system. Maybe they will find you somewhere a little more suitable.

I can afford to live in privately rented accommodation, its long term tenancy that I lack. My landlords are selling up. I have been a faultless tenant for some 4 years and would the rent the property for a very long time but its not an option.

That's why I favour social housing for my needs nowadays.

Karpman

No mate you are an unfortunate victim of the system. Maybe they will find you somewhere a little more suitable.

I can afford to live in privately rented accommodation, its long term tenancy that I lack. My landlords are selling up. I have been a faultless tenant for some 4 years and would the rent the property for a very long time but its not an option.

That's why I favour social housing for my needs nowadays.

Karpman

I don't want another property I have the small bedroom as a gun room I also have spent £6000 on this council bungalow to get it how I wanted it (new kitchen fitted bedroom furniture redecorating and £1800 on carpet) I can not afford to move

Deershooter

All MP's that have another property in London receive an allowance for that property, this is from our money just the same as housing allowance if they have one spare room will they lose 14% or 35% of there allowance they only need one bedroom

is this not one rule for one and another for the MP's

Deershooter

I don't want another property I have the small bedroom as a gun room I also have spent £6000 on this council bungalow to get it how I wanted it (new kitchen fitted bedroom furniture redecorating and £1800 on carpet) I can not afford to move

Deershooter

Your just gonna have to suck it up and get on with it then mate unfortunately

All the best Karpman

All MP's that have another property in London receive an allowance for that property, this is from our money just the same as housing allowance if they have one spare room will they lose 14% or 35% of there allowance they only need one bedroom

is this not one rule for one and another for the MP's

Deershooter

I don't think London MP's get this subsidy any more. You are right though - they should only have a 1 bed flat or similar to do their work in Westminster.