AA for the Fox

Highbird70

Gents,

Last night, was the perfect weather condition to go out with the shotgun......hunting for the fox, lambing as started last week and the farmer was a little worried, due to many fox sighting.

Weather Conditions were perfect, lots of snow on the ground, strong wind...for once the right direction.

Unfortunally the use of rifle its practically impossible, far to many houses on the edge of the fields that the foxes use as a motorway, I keep seeing 5-6 foxes every time we go.

Placed myself by a small pond, , we with a big oak to my shoulders to blend in, lots of activity, but for some reason every time that we tried to squeak them in, they ran away, patience paid off last night, we waited 2 hours and after several tries to attract one to us....bingooo...a really nice fox, came charging in from 150 yards...a little squeak...more running to wards me...100 yards..stops, another squeak...more running, the fox arrived in the kill area still running (I was using AAA last night, it gives you a little more range when shooting them, aprox-30 yards), at 30-40 yards, it slow down, I was thinking....c'mon don't stop now....I tiny squeak...it started to walk at pace again....25 yards.....small cough...fox puts bum on floor...it looks to the right of the field......NOW.....1 really nice fox in the bag.

I was really happy, it took me several attempts, to be in the right spot at the right time.

post-60442-0-73487900-1364113972_thumb.jpg

I prefer to use BB's - they give a better pattern.

I have to agree with Browning123 here! While AAs do a hell of a good job on foxes (At sensible ranges) I prefer the pattern and stopping powed of Alphamax BBs through full and 3/4 choke. When you hit a fox with Alphamax BBs out to about 30 yards they simply do not get up again or run on!

The most important thing is not what shot size or choke you used, it is that you killed the fox quickly and cleanly.

Well done mate! :good::good::good:

Ty Gents, really appreciated.

Jdog...It wasn't my first fox, I have shot many, but its a bigger challenge if you can only use shotguns in this particular ground.

About the pellets size and pattern, I used BBs and AAA lately, both 1/4 choke, When shot the one in the photo, it did drop on the feet cleanly...I don't think it suffered at all, last thing I want its to see an animal suffering due to a wrong decision or pellets size. I did check the carcass, 2 hits in the head and several between the front legs.

I might go out tonight, there is 3 left, hopefully I will manage to bag another.