couldn't hit a barn door :(

Mr Rizzini

was out today with my new browning and couldn't hit a barn door all day although the pigeons were coming in well a must have hit 3 pigeons with 30 - 40 shots, 1/4 and 1/2 choke and using a mixture of 28, 30, 32 gram cartridges. Have any of you guys had a similar experience. I should have kept my bettinsoli at least I could shoot with it and would have saved a small fortune :(

Do you reckon it would take time to adjust to a new gun?

cheers all

Answer , the gun doesn't fit or you cannot shoot and need lessons

my fathers gun and my sxs are 2 different fits and i shoot well with both of them, my bettonsoli fitted like my browning and i shot well with it, it seems to fit well but something about it i just dont feel right.

I know what you mean about getting a new gun, I seem to feel we think about it to much.

I shoot with some very good shot's that can pick up any gun; it is as if they have owned it for 20 years.

I just stand and shake my head at how effortless they make it look, like golf in a lot of ways.

They never seem to know how good they are, when those around them are concerned about how they are shouldering their gun....they are phoning a mate, eating a sandwich while hitting a left and right....it looks that easy to them.

The secret may be accepting what the day brings and being happy with our limited abilities in the hope we will improve.

Not many of us on here will play in The Masters Golf this year, but we can and enjoy it when we play well, like shooting in a lot of ways

Sorry to hear fella, not a nice feeling not getting on well with a new gun. I'm 6' 1' and bought a Browning B525 as I learnt with a B2 many years ago and got on well with it. However, whilst I thought it fitted well in the shop, getting out onto the clays I only hit 42 out of 100 the first outing and walked away with an immensely bruised cheek. Second outing was only a little better with 59 and an even more bruised cheek. It transpires I was dropping and canting my head to get a sight line straight down the barrel and so getting a face full with the recoil. Several people suggested getting used (like most people) to seeing a bit of barrel and aiming accordingly, but the ingrained rifle shooting will simply not allow me to do that. I consequently took to a gunsmiths and he added a 1/4 cast and extra 3/4 inch butt pad (so I can get my head more down the barrel) and it shoots much better. I haven't taken back on the clays yet but it settled nicely for a dozen pigeons at the weekend and no bruised cheek. Don't give up with yours just yet, get the fit properly checked and shoot a few more sessions.

Likewise, I was gutted when I realised it didn't fit properly and already started to look at either adding a rib or chopping in for a different gun with a (much) raised rib. However, the 525 was already at the top of my budget and so I was most relieved when the gunsmith took a look and advised the steps he then took. Once you've had it looked at for fit by a proper gunsmith, try shooting at a large piece of carboard to see where the pattern falls. I was pleasantly surprised with Hull Super Fast 27g 7 1/2 shot, to find the pattern beautifully evenly spread over ~4-feet at 30-yds, pretty much exactly 60% above point of aim and 40% below as it should be. This was however looking straight down the barrel and only seeing the end bead, clearly if I was seeing any rib at all then it would be different.

i went out yesterday dog training took my 28g out for the 2nd time,only fired 1 shot with it months ago,had 4 shots over decoys witth it and got 2 of em, i use different guns to the same effect,i just like a change now and again,hence me haveing a300,medalist 20g,my revo 28g an a lanber 12g,i like em all.perhaps i,m just lucky i get on with all of em.just keep at it.

GREAT NEWS :)

Was out today at the clays and was hitting an average of 20/25, seems I was just rushing my shots and swinging to quick at the pigeons, I slowed my swing down on the clays and hey presto. well pleased that I can shoot the gun and it fits. I think the snap shot style from the bolting rabbits the last 6 weeks didnt help my swing any.

Edited by Mr Rizzini

GREAT NEWS :)

Was out today at the clays and was hitting an average of 20/25, seems I was just rushing my shots and swinging to quick at the pigeons, I slowed my swing down on the clays and hey presto. well pleased that I can shoot the gun and it fits. I think the snap shot style from the bolting rabbits the last 6 weeks didnt help my swing any.

Most clays travel in a predictable path….however pigeons tend not too!

Not the best training aid in my opinion..

TEH

Most clays travel in a predictable path….however pigeons tend not too!

Not the best training aid in my opinion..

TEH

I agree that clays are easy compared to pigeons but its a good confidence boost to be able to hit as many clays as i did with my old gun and that was my first visit with the new gun.

i went out three times last week with a mate. I was shooti g like a muppet, 2 of the days were really windy. day one hit nothing for about 27 carts, day 2 got one with 9 carts. on the third day, the not so windy one, shot 5 with 15 carts. while this was happening to me my mate who came with me was getting 11, 8 and 6.

some days are just not good days.