So what are the rules?

With regards to the 'so called friends' thread what do people think is acceptable.

We know if you take someone out as a guest and they then go and ask for permission from the same landowner behind your back that is not on but what about all the other scenarios?

An example is that I met another chap on one of my farms a couple of years back and he also has some permission on the farm next door though he rarely shoots. Because I have met him and know he has permission there does it mean I can never ask?

Where do the boundaries lie?

He hasn't took you their so go for it.

The way I see it, if someone has permission to shoot somewhere but very rarely bothers as they have 'better' land then you have no reason not to ask for permission

All farmers I know are happier with a regular shooter who keeps pests off his crop all year round rather then fair weather shooters who 'let the numbers' build to provide big bags.

Interesting one, I'm just getting into the sport and don't really have time to go more than once a month. I'm lucky enough to have a good mate with 1000 acres and he has said I can shoot it any time I want. I know he has other people shoot it but I havent been there at the same time as them yet.

Obviously I'm not going to tell my friend I'm not going to take him up on his kind offer for fear of offending a stranger but equally I don't want to pee anyone off unnecessarily. If our paths do cross I'll probably just go and introduce my self to the other shooters and explain i'm part time at best and no intention of trying to monopolise things. With a bit of luck I'll make some mates out of it.

He hasn't took you their so go for it.

The way I see it, if someone has permission to shoot somewhere but very rarely bothers as they have 'better' land then you have no reason not to ask for permission

All farmers I know are happier with a regular shooter who keeps pests off his crop all year round rather then fair weather shooters who 'let the numbers' build to provide big bags.

I'm not that bothered to be honest but just looking at what is acceptable. If an aquaintance says I shoot on X farm does it mean you can't then go and ask yourself. If you did it would probably make for an awkward situation but I would probably rather not know who is shooting where if it meant I was then excluded from approaching the farmer if an opportunity arose as a result.

If I see n ope.purtunity I ask. Regardless of who and how many have permission to shoot there. If the farmer is happy with his current guns he will politely say no, thats fine by me.

If someone gains permission to shoot on 1 of my permissions that is fine by me.

If i invite a stranger to help them out then they ask for permission I may be abit peed off but such is life. Get over it n get on wiv it. Life's too short to be moaning on a forum about people asking permission on 'your' land.

I'm speaking from a healthy position though.

I have sole access to approx 500acres..I don't tell the farmer not to let anyone else shoot it, he just doesn't let anyone else.

And i have access to a further 2500+ acres which i know other people (some of whom I have never met, others good friends) also have permission to shoot over.

I am more than happy to take people from this forum out for a day if they are struggling to find permissions.

And have also in the past put in a good word for a member to shoot a permission (which is a good patch)

Plenty of land and pests out there for us all to enjoy.

Edited by TJ91

I'm speaking from a healthy position though.

I have sole access to approx 500acres..I don't tell the farmer not to let anyone else shoot it, he just doesn't let anyone else.

And i have access to a further 2500+ acres which i know other people (some of whom I have never met, others good friends) also have permission to shoot over.

I am more than happy to take people from this forum out for a day if they are struggling to find permissions.

And have also in the past put in a good word for a member to shoot a permission (which is a good patch)

Plenty of land and pests out there for us all to enjoy.

I have several farms now but would have been happy with just the one until other shooters etc started turning up at various times throwing my carefully laid plans into disarray. The only answer was to get other land but it isn't the same as that first permission that I treated almost as an unpaid job.

The way that I see it is that there are no written rules, just common sense and good manners.

If someone were to chance upon and speak to a farmer whose land I shoot on and get permission to shoot there also then all well and good, as long as common sense prevails, i.e. The both of us contact the farmer to make sure that the other one is not shooting there when either of us want to shoot, purely in the interest of safety. This can build up good sporting relationships between shooters in my opinion.

However, if I take someone out on my permissions as a "sporting gesture" then I would be offended if they went to the farmer and asked for permission behind my back.

I am lucky in the fact that all of the farmers who I shoot for accept that I do a reasonably good job of vermin control and see no reason to want another shooter but are all (With the exception of one) happy for me to take a shooting guest out on their land with me. If however they ever felt that another shooter on their land would be an advantage then that would be their decision, I wouldn't have a problem with that, after all it is their land and it is up to them who they do or do not have shooting there!

swiss_toni.jpg

Keeping a permission is very much like making love to a beautiful woman, first you get her, then you get dirty with her, then you take pictures, then you show your mates the things you get up to together, you may even get your dog involved. Where I draw the line is when others see the fun you are having and want to get involved.....behind your back?

I've often thought that going Shooting was very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First of all, clean and inspect your weapon, carefully pull back your slide cover, and remove any dirt or gunge that may have built up whilst not in use. Then, extend your weapon to its full length, and check that there are no dents or any wear. Particularly at the stock, where the grip is usually applied. Make sure you've got a decent cartridge, the appropriate flapper, and that there's plenty of shot in your bag.

Edited by The Ghost

Common sense and good manners should always prevail. If you know them and/ or have been invited to shoot on someone's permission, then politely ask if you can shoot with their consent, also ask if they would be prepared to share the permission. If they say no then respect their decision and look elsewhere. If you don't know who shoots the land, then by almeans request permision. Think how you would feel if it was your permission and act accordingly.

taking people on to your perm is a pleasure and involves TRUST,,

people trying to steal your perm behind your back is a definate NO NO,

TRUST is the main word and if someone did it to me i would not be happy but if i needed an extra gun on land then i would invite people i could TRUST

taking people on to your perm is a pleasure and involves TRUST,,

people trying to steal your perm behind your back is a definate NO NO,

TRUST is the main word and if someone did it to me i would not be happy but if i needed an extra gun on land then i would invite people i could TRUST

Too true ; couldn' t get on one of mine a while back, offered the opportunity for the day to someone I knew who had little ground, matey phoned landowner suggesting 'as it's a distance to travel would he mind covering some expenses ?' Landowner not impressed. Still have the land, don't know what matey is doing now, not much probably

its the farmers lands, its totally up to him who shoots, we've got no ownership or right to think its solely ours to shoot, if the farmer lets others shoot then its probably down to needing them.

I have no issues with asking a farmer for shooting and have no issue with a farmer saying others can shoot but what I wouldnt like is what happened on the other thread where the guy basically named dropped his way in a and shot earlier to have the birds to himself when he had already arranged to shoot with his "mate" the next day. Thats just being a **** friend.

As far as the farmers concerned in that senario and I were a farmer I'd want the birds shot today or as soon as possible as they damaging my crops every day someones not shooting it. Its no good having one guy who can only shoot the odd day at weekends or whatever so its best to have as many as you can.

Edited by thepasty

The way that I see it is that there are no written rules, just common sense and good manners.

If someone were to chance upon and speak to a farmer whose land I shoot on and get permission to shoot there also then all well and good, as long as common sense prevails, i.e. The both of us contact the farmer to make sure that the other one is not shooting there when either of us want to shoot, purely in the interest of safety. This can build up good sporting relationships between shooters in my opinion.

However, if I take someone out on my permissions as a "sporting gesture" then I would be offended if they went to the farmer and asked for permission behind my back.

I am lucky in the fact that all of the farmers who I shoot for accept that I do a reasonably good job of vermin control and see no reason to want another shooter but are all (With the exception of one) happy for me to take a shooting guest out on their land with me. If however they ever felt that another shooter on their land would be an advantage then that would be their decision, I wouldn't have a problem with that, after all it is their land and it is up to them who they do or do not have shooting there!

I think this sums it up perfectly.

I shoot clays with a number of older shooters on a Sunday and they will all stand there and tell you how much land they all have and they are sign of for here and there and my reply to them is always "do you get out much" and it is alway the same answer

" no I never get time"

What this means is they are just to lazy. This drives me mad because if I was to go down and ask to shoot there land it would be look like I have gone behind there back.

This particular question has just come up for me. Following information received which was a certain farmer had an obvious rabbit problem as his land was covered I was given a phone number to ring to speak to him. I rang yesterday and during the conversation the farmer said there were some lads who shoot but(his words)' they don't seem to be making much impression on them'. As soon as he mentioned there were others I said straight away that I'd leave it if he was happy with what they were doing as it wasn't fair to take others shooting and he said straight away that it was ok, I could 'go and have a pop at them'.

Going up tonight to meet the farmer and check out the ground so I guess that the moral is,if you've got permission, use it well and do the best job you can!

I'm not 100% happy with the situation really but if the others had done a better job I would never have heard about it and since one or two people have put themselves out over it I feel obliged to have a look at least.

GH

Thats the thing, the farmers are letting us pursue our sport/hobby but in return need a job done, if as a shooter you're not fulfilling the farmers needs he's going to ask someone or be open to someone who can do the job in full.

I've just been asked by one of my farmers to sort out some manky foxes who are bothering his animals, if I'm honest I'm not into shooting foxes but if I dont do the job the farmer will get someone in who will so shooting foxes I shall be.

Going out and asking permission to shoot is every ones perogative. However going out and asking to shoot on land that you know a friend shoots without prior discussion with friend, is not good. Even worse than that, is going behind a friends back to gain permission to shoot on his ground, or pitching up on your own at a later date having been invited out on a previous day buy said friend, is just not on.

Edited by Blunderbust