Tailgating

Billy.

Yes dear Jonathan....you can pontificate all you like...the offence is absolute...too close to the car in front...and you really are a pain at the best of times !!

So, to clarify; you stamp on your brakes because a car behind is 'too close' (in your esteemed opinion). The driver of the car behind is always guilty of an offence if he hits you?

Yes or no?

J.

Edited by JonathanL

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, to clarify; you stamp on your brakes because a car behind is 'too close' (in your esteemed opinion). The driver of the car behind is always guilty of an offence if he hits you?

Yes or no?

J.

I would said years ago it was black and white, too close and too fast 100% your fault (assuming you are behind) regardless of why they braked.

With the 'invention' of whiplash and associated claims culture I would imagine this is no longer the case with van loads of people doing just that in an effort to get hit from behind to enable them to all file a claim.

Yes or no?

J.

YES you should ALWAYS be within YOUR stopping distance, its not that hard really.

KW

YES you should ALWAYS be within YOUR stopping distance, its not that hard really.

KW

A second answer to this.

The person in the following car was too close because he was having a heart attack/epileptic seizure/diabetic event/sneezing fit, etc, etc and so wasn't responsible for how close he was to you.

Does he still committ an offence?

J.

Edited by JonathanL

A second answer to this.

The person in the following car was too close because he was having a heart attack/epileptic seizure/diabetic event/sneezing fit, etc, etc and so wasn't responsible for how close he was to you.

J.

oh dear your barrel is no longer in need of scraping.

KW

Edited by kdubya

I was always taught to drive defensively at all times, never be aggressive, always back off and avoid any vehicular confrontation, dont ever get pulled into a 'tit for tat' situation. I like to think i have driven like this, i have let people get away with stuff that you wouldnt in a non car situation as the stakes in a speeding vehicle are massively high. Obvious stuff really, but i like getting home in one piece. :good:

A second answer to this.

J.

Classic. :lol:

To be honest I normally slow down and wait till I get to a set of tragic lights and if the car is still behind me walk around to the back of my car, at 6ft 3 and 16.5 stone they tend to poo themselves I then proceed to get any random bit of clutter out of my boot and get back in the car! At no point do I act or intend to be aggressive but its surprising how many cars tend to back off once they have actually seen who's driving!! And if its a really big bloke driving I send the misses out to get something!! Lol

I was always taught to drive defensively at all times, never be aggressive, always back off and avoid any vehicular confrontation, dont ever get pulled into a 'tit for tat' situation. I like to think i have driven like this, i have let people get away with stuff that you wouldnt in a non car situation as the stakes in a speeding vehicle are massively high. Obvious stuff really, but i like getting home in one piece. :good:

well this has been the most sensible post iv read so far on this topic

Yes or no?

J.

What an objectionable confrontationalist you are, is it your sole purpose in life to antagonise......Yes or no ?

and yes, if the car behind runs into the back of the car ahead, he is too close, have you got that this time ?

A second answer to this.

J.

Yes, if you can't fit in a sneeze before noticing the car in front has stopped you are too close.

And see section 5.8.3.4.9 of the highway code about pulling in if you are about to have a heart attack/ seizure/ diabetic event.

Nial.

:good: In fact the sort of behaviour you might expect from a mature, sensible sort of person who has been judged mature and sensible enough to hold firearms, shotguns etc.

The risks involved to other completely innocent road users in the situation being discussed here are horrific.

It is a salutary experience to read some threads!

What an objectionable confrontationalist you are, is it your sole purpose in life to antagonise......Yes or no ?

and yes, if the car behind runs into the back of the car ahead, he is too close, have you got that this time ?

That isn't what I asked though. He is quite obviously 'too close'. I asked whether he was always guilty of an offence.

So, yes or no?

J.

On the topic at hand it's strange how cars bring out the worst in most people, be it aggressive or passive aggressive behaviours. I guess it's because we think of them as an extension of our homes. If you were walking down the streat you wouldn't walk so closely to someone that you were doing the locomotive, equally you wouldn't just stop dead walking in the street to make someone walk into you.