hmr accuracy

turbo33

The point of trying without a mod is that if the thread is a bit off, the bullet could clip the mod or pass unsymetrically through the hole. You needed to try it without a mod, not with a different mod.

Was the wind from the west? :lol:

We are all on edge...... desperate to know what the final outcome is.

Don't you dare just leave us hanging there.....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point of trying without a mod is that if the thread is a bit off, the bullet could clip the mod or pass unsymetrically through the hole. You needed to try it without a mod, not with a different mod.

Was the wind from the west? :lol:

We are all on edge...... desperate to know what the final outcome is.

Don't you dare just leave us hanging there.....

I agree totally! If the op has tried several different moderators then he really needs to try the rifle without any moderator on, shooting off a bipod in as windless conditions as possible. By doing so he can find out several things. If the rifle shoots a much better group without any moderator on then the chances are that it is the threading that is not right and the barrel will need recutting and threading properly. If there is no improvement then the chances are that it is the crown that is damaged which can easily be sorted out.

TBH, after everything else, there's no point. Its probably the only thing I haven't tried, Its had two different mods on so with the mod off it would only prove something is wrong with the rifle, which there clearly is. Its now gone!! :yahoo:

It was a lemon, I pity the poor chap who gets it.

The chances are that whoever buys it will identify quicker than me, there's something not right and will get the gunsmith to sort it out. After 9 months of it, frankly I had had enough and didn't want more months of it being backwards and forwards to edgar bros. Been there had the t shirt with too many british companies to have any faith left. Last time I dealt with them over some dodgy hmr ammunition, they were pretty un helpful, so on that basis I wasn't going to be married to their protracted investigation, lifes too short.

I agree with Bluebarrels, Frenchieboy and others that the next step should have been mod off.It would have proved the problem was between the breach and crown. As Frenchie says it will be an easy enough job to do. My other thought was, looking back over some of the targets, there were quite a few where out of 5 shots 2-3 were passable, but often there were 2 fliers. See pic in post 1 and pic post 28, As I don't have a spotting scope, I found this when I walked up to the target. So I don't know if it was the first two shots, last two shots or somewhere in between. My first thought when I discovered this, and its not totally consistant, is that it was the barrel getting warm after the first two,three and then touching the woodwork through expansion. I checked for this, but it was fine. My last conclusion is that maybe it has something to do with the way the rounds are sprung out of the magazine and presented into the breach. ie first two under more pressure from the spring or last two less pressure from the spring. It could be the bullet heads were being marked/scored/damaged in some way as they entered the breach. With hindsight, I

should have cranked a magazine load through without firing and checked them over for damage before being fired. I checked the crown with a good light and magnifying glass. I couldn't see any visible problem, but thats not to say there wasn't one. The wildcat mod is hmr specific and as such there was very little clearance for a miss aligned thread before clipping and there was no evidence of that. My money is on the bullet entering the breach.

The 455 is relatively new and I must say, I have been suprised at how many come up for sale that have only had a couple of hundred rounds through or only two months old, etc,etc. You very rarely see the 452's come on the market second hand or indeed for that matter, any other hmr's. I did some research and accuracy does seem to be an issue with the 455's. Maybe thats why so many come back on the market so quickly, obviously I'm not alone!!

Anyway, it would have been interesting to know.

Edited by turbo33

I was doing exactly that yesterday and I've only just got it. Makes a tremendous mess of a rabbits head aswell, really surprised me in more ways than one.

The first time I collected a head shot rabbit I was a little shocked by the damage it had caused to be honest, not something I got all squeamish about I was just a little taken aback by the damage caused by such a small bullet.

The first time I collected a head shot rabbit I was a little shocked by the damage it had caused to be honest, not something I got all squeamish about I was just a little taken aback by the damage caused by such a small bullet.

I wont be putting them in my poachers pocket anymore unless they're wrapped in a carrier bag first :oops:

i bought a new cz 455 thumb hole 16 inch heavy barrel 4 weeks ago,im amazed at the accuracy,i zeroed at 100 yards,with hawke side winder,scope,have 33 rabbits to date,all head shots,closest was about 80 yards,longest about 110 yards,got a fox 3 days ago about 90 yards,shot half inch above left eye,dropped without a kick left in him,i also have a 22lr,have not used it since i got the 455,its a real tack driver,using v max 17 grain red tip,have not cleaned it yet,but will do soon,then will see how it preforms,so far delighted with it :yahoo:

i bought a new cz 455 thumb hole 16 inch heavy barrel 4 weeks ago,im amazed at the accuracy,i zeroed at 100 yards,with hawke side winder,scope,have 33 rabbits to date,all head shots,closest was about 80 yards,longest about 110 yards,got a fox 3 days ago about 90 yards,shot half inch above left eye,dropped without a kick left in him,i also have a 22lr,have not used it since i got the 455,its a real tack driver,using v max 17 grain red tip,have not cleaned it yet,but will do soon,then will see how it preforms,so far delighted with it :yahoo:

snipers eye, 0n 03 May 2013 - 20:50, said

Quote "i got a hawke side winder set at 16 mag,i can head shoot rabbits 0ut to and beyond 130 yards,but then again im an ace shot : :lol: :"Quote

That's one of the reasons I started this thread as the distances of head shot accuracy seem to change by the minute and trying to get the real story seems quite difficult :hmm:

Edited by turbo33

Quote "i got a hawke side winder set at 16 mag,i can head shoot rabbits 0ut to and beyond 130 yards,but then again im an ace shot : :lol: :"Quote

That's one of the reasons I started this thread as the distances of head shot accuracy seem to change by the minute and trying to get the real story seems quite difficult :hmm:

Yeah,yeah. :rolleyes:

yes i agree,easy

Next! :whistling::whistling:

Next :lol::lol: Claim your longest head shot is 110 yds on this thread, then on another thread its 130 yards, when rumbled, delete the post with the 130 yards claim, followed by head shots on hares at 140 metres are easy on this thread, :lol::lol::lol: A 40% improvement in accuracy in only a few hours on the keyboard. Spectacular!! :good::good:

Edited by turbo33

Next :lol::lol: Claim your longest head shot is 110 yds on this thread, then on another thread its 130 yards, when rumbled, delete the post with the 130 yards claim, followed by head shots on hares at 140 metres are easy on this thread, :lol::lol::lol: A 40% improvement in accuracy in only a few hours on the keyboard. Spectacular!! :good::good:

Another armchair shooter i think. :yes:

I wont be putting them in my poachers pocket anymore unless they're wrapped in a carrier bag first :oops:

my shooting buddy doesnt like my HMR because of the noise level (got a SAk mod on her) but i got a perfect head shot on a rabbit and it made one hell of a mess! sprayed bits of skull all over the place! took a picture and sent it to him to prove how effective the round is, so i could upload it but it would send the anti's off on one!

i read this whole thing waiting for the answer only to find you got rid of it! :oops: ive got a 455 as well it was a bit fidgety when i first got it, similar problems but nowhere near as bad grouping! :no: but these days she's bang on and always first out the cabinet for general vermin control, well only on the less noise sensitive permissions :lol: they do make a solid little crack!

reason i deleted the 130 yard head shot post was people like you cannot believe that sort of shot is possible,a person on youtube chest shot a rabbit at over 230 yards,was he lying?go look at the site,any hmr owner will tell it is very possible to head shoot bunnys from 50 t0 150 yards,and evan further,and they are not sitting in arm chairs,130 yards is not that far,and anyone that cant hit a bunny with a hmr at that distance should IMO not have a hmr,so put that in your pipe and smoke it :yahoo:

reason i deleted the 130 yard head shot post was people like you cannot believe that sort of shot is possible,a person on youtube chest shot a rabbit at over 230 yards,was he lying?go look at the site,any hmr owner will tell it is very possible to head shoot bunnys from 50 t0 150 yards,and evan further,and they are not sitting in arm chairs,130 yards is not that far,and anyone that cant hit a bunny with a hmr at that distance should IMO not have a hmr,so put that in your pipe and smoke it :yahoo:

I will back up the 130 yd head shot it is possible, but does involve a smidgeon of luck like any shot, ive pulled 120yd head shots out the bag before, and my rifle is zeroed at 100, aim 1/4 up from the centre of the head and drop the round straight into the centre, game over and job jobbed.