heads up guys

mace1966

Just thought i would give you all the heads up on hide poles..home bargains are doing washing line poles that extend to 10ft in green just need a gentle push in the ground and are really strong as well, only down side they are a little heavyer but i can live with that only £1,99 as well i got 6 bargain at just under £12. regards macepost-63904-0-15402100-1366923812_thumb.jpg

im in warrington but if you havent got one near to wilkinsons do them but i think there a bit dearer around £3.99 but still cheeper, if you google home bargains find the nearest one and compare price and fuel ect

Wilkos are 3 quid. Best to check carefully they open and twist lock securely several times at different heights. It'll save you a return journey like I had to make after I found the weight of the camo netting gradually closing the poles down!

the ones i got are good but best to check your right, i have the middle and two end pole high so a cover net can be added for crows and keeps you covered but all in all its a saving when the normal poles are £10 each i think something can be done in the way of reducing prices of kit its a dear do to set up for some one who wants to get into the sport but are on a budget, any way rant over good luck to you all with the poles and happy pigeon shooting.....mace

I buy 5ft bamboo poles from the garden centre. They cost 15p each. I then put several rubber bands around the tops of them to hold the nets in place.

So far this has been working pretty well. However, I doubt they'll be that good in the summer months when the ground gets harder.

I buy 5ft bamboo poles from the garden centre. They cost 15p each. I then put several rubber bands around the tops of them to hold the nets in place.

So far this has been working pretty well. However, I doubt they'll be that good in the summer months when the ground gets harder.

Yeah, this can be a big issue when it's really hot, you'll find yourself carrying a mallet about with you!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some proper ones off the bay, but when your net is only 1.5m high, that's as high as you need is it not?

No. In certain situations you will want your hide higher at the back.

Sometimes your poles will need to be placed in a ditch and be pushed in below the level of your feet. They obviously need to be a bit longer if that is the case.

I got some of these poles from home bargains myself they work a treat, I formed the bottom into a spike to make it easier getting into the harder ground, removed the extendable pole from the middle and drilled a hole 6" up from the bottom through the outer pole, inseted a 8mm steel bar and use this as a foot plate to ease into the ground.

They work great and at nearly 75% cheaper than the hide poles on ebay and suppliers.

I use garden canes but would like something better, if you have problems with hard ground I use a hammer and metal spike, bash the spike in as deep as you can, pull it out and push the pole into the hole, the hard crust is usually only a few inches thick, works well on recently ploughed ground, just means carrying a bit more gear. :yahoo:

When I had some of these poles, I cut wedges out of 4"x3" wood, and drilled a hole in the top part, that was slightly bigger in diameter than the poles. I used to stamp the wedges into the ground and then insert the poles.

I've got a lathe B)

I make pointy bits that fit in the end :good:

I have a couple of good steel pegs and some Paracord guyropes.

Never need to stick them in the ground and get a good solid hide every time. :)

My solution to the hard ground is a cheap Dibber and a Rubber Mallet from poundland to dig a "pilot" hole. Works a treat.

I have some of ebay and they are great just too small. I am 6'5" and I like to shoot standing which means the hide comes just above my shoulders which at times is touch and go if they come in. If i sit down and lower the hide a touch then all is fine I just can not get on sitting down......

I have some of ebay and they are great just too small. I am 6'5" and I like to shoot standing which means the hide comes just above my shoulders which at times is touch and go if they come in. If i sit down and lower the hide a touch then all is fine I just can not get on sitting down......

Blimey! :no:

Both the Morrisons and Tesco extend to 7 or 8 feet. :yes:

Grant / Bigman is 6' 7" and they work for him! :good: