Shooting Dogs

mickyh

If you read the OP again you will see that it is not his "farmer" but the next door neighbour.

Secondly I would imagine every sheep farmer has a gun otherwise how would he shoot his sick/injured sheep. I, like every other sheep farmer, shoot plenty every year for one reason or another.

In any event, it would be highly unlikly that the OP would be on the spot at the exact time this farmers stock was being worried.

Not every farmer has a sgc...! I know a few. As far as shooting your own stock, again, not every farmer does this either.

It was a genuine Q...maybe this particular farmer is asking as he doesn't have the means.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could be getting your self into a hole lot of bother for no benefit you could possibly end up with civil suit from the dog owner. If the owner is not keeping his dog under control should the council or police not be informed shooting dogs should always be a last option.

There seems to be no indication here that the owner of the sheep has notified the appropriate authorities, principally the police. Surely that would be a sensible step to take?

Furthermore, the OP states that the offender and his dogs are often around; that being the case, it can't be that difficult to establish identity and place of residence. Once that has been done it's a simple matter for the police to call round and have a word, or for the farmer to arrange for a leter from his legal agent threatening action and a compensation claim for damage done to his livestock.

Shooting the dogs is way, way at the extreme end of acceptable actions. I'm not going to go over ground that has been more than adequately covered by the moderate, sensible PW members who have urged caution; I'm simply going to say to the OP that he should shun the advice of the gung-ho brigade who seem to see no problem with potential confrontation whilst in possession of a firearm, or discharging said firearm whilst the owner of the dogs is present. It's ironic that their usually over-fertile imaginations can't extend to seeing how these things might be misconstrued or distorted should the whole episode end up in court.

Firstly... honestly did you really expect posting a question like that on here you was going to get a straight answer lol

It sounds to me like all the potential negatives in shooting this dog far out weigh the potential positives, remember your living in a world now where if it snows and you sweep your path, then somebody slips over you can be held liable! Let alone shooting a dog that's chasing sheep that don't belong to you on land that doesn't belong to you either, I think you make your deal with the devil on this one chap...

If the owner of said dogs allows them to behave like this then there is a good chance he is an undesirable fella waiting for his 5 minutes of fame on the Jeremy Kyle show.

Now I would happily go toe to toe with most, but I can see this one ending in tears when he finds out where you live !!!

I think my answer would end in something like

' xxxx that for a game of soldiers '

Have we just assumed that the farmer has a sgc?! He does a favour by allowing you to shoot on his land, pay him the same dues and help him when needed. Dogs hassling stock can be costly (I speak from experience!!) If shooting the dogs for him is the only way this continuing problem can be solved, it's just got to be done.

Agreed, but he (the farmer) has to put himself on a firm legal footing first and make it obvious that he has done everything else possible to stop the livestock worrying first before resorting to the gun

ie if he has spoken to the dog owner... made a complaint to police etc

could he not just have a word with the guy again and explain that he is trespassing on private ground or is there a public right of way.

Maybe even take video footage of the dogs worrying the sheep etc, and use this against the guy if he does not listen.....

Its the owner at fault here not the dogs...they obviously just need to be kept under control.

If the dogs were actually attacking and killing the sheep it may be a different story, but one to avoid to be honest

Firstly the OP states "two dogs which regularly chase and attack sheep,"the owner ignors the farmer, therefore warnings have been given he only needs to tell the police. Secondly if the farmer pays the OP then he becomes an employee and entitled to act on his behalf. If the OP is attacked after the event that would be a criminal act on behalf of the dog owner.

having said all that I would try the near miss first which in itself might result in an attack by the dog owner, just make sure that the owner isn`t threatened with the gun, and you only defend yourself don`t attack him, once he starts swinging then feel free to wade in.

if he did should the dogs and got payment he would not get be able to get help from BASC if it was needed!

andrew

having said all that I would try the near miss first which in itself might result in an attack by the dog owner, just make sure that the owner isn`t threatened with the gun, and you only defend yourself don`t attack him, once he starts swinging then feel free to wade in.

You would be getting into dangerous territory there. All the dog owner has to say is that you threatened him with the firearm true or not your firearms would probably be conceited while a investigation was happening. So basically have a bit of wit and tell the farmer to sort it out himself as i asked before whats in it for you only a lot of hassle.

I have shot afew dogs in the past for worrying poultry round the farmhouse /game farm where i use to work ,just phone the police straight away, police always came out but never had any problems as i was in the right,they were OUT OF CONTROLL . Never had exsperience of sheep worrying though.

I have shot afew dogs in the past for worrying poultry round the farmhouse /game farm where i use to work ,just phone the police straight away, police always came out but never had any problems as i was in the right,they were OUT OF CONTROLL . Never had exsperience of sheep worrying though.

The outcome might be different if the owner is there.

I think your moment of dealing with these dogs has past as it all seems a bit to premeditated now , and this thread would certainly not help your cause if it was to get in the wrong hands after you done the deed, a lot of unruly out of control dogs just seem to disappear From time to time ,

Quote. I think your moment of dealing with these dogs has past as it all seems a bit to premeditated now , and this thread would certainly not help your cause if it was to get in the wrong hands after you done the deed,

Whys that if he was doing nothing illegal.

I think your moment of dealing with these dogs has past as it all seems a bit to premeditated now , and this thread would certainly not help your cause if it was to get in the wrong hands after you done the deed, a lot of unruly out of control dogs just seem to disappear From time to time ,

There is no issue if he catches them in the act of worrying sheep then legally he can shoot them. Premeditated and going out to catch them in the act is no issue at all

Just saying to post on an open forum about shooting people's pets is risky no matter how much of a nuisance they are, and I feel that it should be delt with a bit more discreetly ,if he was to do the deed and all hell broke loose just imagine the press getting hold of such a story of shooting forum members advising people on the legalities of shooting pet dogs. I know it's extreme but these things do happen.

Just saying to post on an open forum about shooting people's pets is risky no matter how much of a nuisance they are, and I feel that it should be delt with a bit more discreetly ,if he was to do the deed and all hell broke loose just imagine the press getting hold of such a story of shooting forum members advising people on the legalities of shooting pet dogs. I know it's extreme but these things do happen.

A nuisance!!! Have you every seen what carnage a couple of PET dogs can inflict on sheep? You are perfectly within your rights to shoot dogs worrying sheep. I myself would try to be discreet about it, sadly most people in this country have an obtuse view of animals.

I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot them and I do appreciate the harm they might do , I just would not discuss it with to many people, also I think the thread title could be a little more tactful , (shooting dogs) how about problem with dogs.

Edited by jayDT10

A nuisance!!! Have you every seen what carnage a couple of PET dogs can inflict on sheep? You are perfectly within your rights to shoot dogs worrying sheep. I myself would try to be discreet about it, sadly most people in this country have an obtuse view of animals

So if i am on a farmers land and see some dogs worrying sheep i can shoot them.

on my fac it states i can shoot dogs if its worrying live stock,or if someone is being attacked by a dog,as anybody got this on there fac?

No but if someone doesn't have that on their certificate are they allowed to shoot dogs. If anyone can shoot a dog whats the point of specifying it on your certificate.