its rookery time

about 2 weeks i reckon up here! the young are squaking but not seen any yet! going off last year id say there a week later this year! i was shooting em on the 12 last year so ad say week end after next give or take a day or 2!

anybody making rook pie?

Edited by fabarm gamma boy

Not wishing to troll or be contentious, as i have shot rookerys for years but i am increasingly feeling that whilst they take grain, rooks are not the same problem as carrion crows.

i am a traditionalist and wouldnt want the brancher season to be lost but i see fewer and less vibrant rookerys and have therefore avoided killing rooks for some years. anyone know any stats about the apparent decline in numbers or not ?

Not wishing to troll or be contentious, as i have shot rookerys for years but i am increasingly feeling that whilst they take grain, rooks are not the same problem as carrion crows.

i am a traditionalist and wouldnt want the brancher season to be lost but i see fewer and less vibrant rookerys and have therefore avoided killing rooks for some years. anyone know any stats about the apparent decline in numbers or not ?

I have a rookery on one of my shoots. Fired out the Larsen trap with just eggs,(no call bird) and the rooks were straight in. Crows are worse but rooks are still bad

Thanks for that wildfowler I havent caught one for a while, Jackdaws mainly round here and the odd carrion - there is a rookery maybe 200yds away but we dont seem to get them in the ladder trap !

I have never seen Rooks do any major damage-they will pick up grain but usually only if its on the surface where germination is unlikely anyway.As for egg predation I consider them more of an opportunist than a dedicated egg thief.I would say that numbers have dropped in the last 20 years and I only shoot Branchers now if we are going to eat them or a landowner demands it.

I have never seen Rooks do any major damage-they will pick up grain but usually only if its on the surface where germination is unlikely anyway.As for egg predation I consider them more of an opportunist than a dedicated egg thief.I would say that numbers have dropped in the last 20 years and I only shoot Branchers now if we are going to eat them or a landowner demands it.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

about 2 weeks i reckon up here! the young are squaking but not seen any yet! going off last year id say there a week later this year! i was shooting em on the 12 last year so ad say week end after next give or take a day or 2!

anybody making rook pie?

good stuff we (me and tom) went to find a rookery to shoot over but no luck. give me a shout if you want a hand over that rookery :good: