Optimum scope mag for an HMR

Thunderbird

Yeah, I know that, I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit by what compromise people go for on mag / sight picture, wobble etc.

This type of question comes round and round, the answer is simple, whatever works for YOU!!

It doesn't matter and you can't narrow it down, I know people who shoot at 32x at 25 yards with a 12 ft lb air rifle, I don't have any issue with 6x at 200 yards, I have shot Bisley at 600 yards with 6x!

whatever works for YOU :yes::good:

This type of question comes round and round, the answer is simple, whatever works for YOU!!

It doesn't matter and you can't narrow it down, I know people who shoot at 32x at 25 yards with a 12 ft lb air rifle, I don't have any issue with 6x at 200 yards, I have shot Bisley at 600 yards with 6x!

whatever works for YOU :yes::good:

Relax, dude ;)

I've got a Meopta Meostar 4-12 X56 R1 on my HMR. I never go above 8 power in the field. I only use 12 X to make zeroing easier with that tiny bullet, though to be honest the sight picture of the R1 is so much better than the Hawke Nite Eye that was on it before that even that is unnecessary now, particularly as I zero high at 70 yrds.

I shot my furthest rabbit with the HMR last week at 215 yards and that was on 8 power. Since changing to the Meopta I've shot plenty to 180 yds, all on 8 power.

Knowing what I know now, if I was buying a dedicated HMR scope tomorrow I'd be looking for a S/H S&B 8 X 56 or similar, or maybe a S/H 50mm Duralyt. Same money as a new far-eastern cheapie, far better quality. For me, image quality is far more important than mag.