selling pigeons

evening all

Iv shot and sold pigeons to my game dealer for many,many years , sending on av. 600 a month into him frozen in the feather, today I had phone call from him asking for my hunters id number :sad1:

he tells me that I need now a licence and id number so that he can take pigeons from me,,

has any 1 else had the same phone call???

looked on the net and licence is a days course and costing £120, , thought only needed licence to sell game , or have I got it all wrong :no:

thank for you help guys

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More EU instigated madness no doubt.

evening all

Iv shot and sold pigeons to my game dealer for many,many years , sending on av. 600 a month into him frozen in the feather, today I had phone call from him asking for my hunters id number :sad1:

he tells me that I need now a licence and id number so that he can take pigeons from me,,

looked on the net and licence is a days course and costing £120, , thought only needed licence to sell game , or have I got it all wrong :no:

thank for you help guys

evening all

thank for you help guys

So you shoot over 7000 pigeons a year? That's some going.

If you shoot that many, doing the course sounds worthwhile.

theres 3 guns in my area that do this already mate,doesnt matter if they shoot 20, or 200 in a day they are just thrown in the ditch, , personaly I think before your granted sgc and shoot pigeons the rules should be that you have made arrangements for them to sold , given away, and not just wasted :yes::yes::yes:

Dont take this the wrong way but it could make folk think ah well Ive got way to many birds freezers full and i wont be able to get rid of the surplus so im going to have to dump them in the hedge,

yes,no, what do you recon, i wont have that problem i dont shoot that many

In the main wood pigeon shooting is done to control the number of pigeons destorying the farmers crops. My primary job is to kill the pigeons in the most effective and legal manner - that is why the farmer allows me on his land. Secondly I love to eat pigeon so it is a good source of food and lastly it could be an income to off-set the cost of shooting - if I could shoot enough.

However, shooting the pigeons or scaring them off is the main priority. Would the farmer be happy if you shot six and called it a day because you could not eat, give away or freeze any more? I think he would be a little miffed to say the least. I have to be honest £120 is a lot of money and I am not 100% certain it is necessary as I have never been asked for one. Maybe the volumes you are selling is making you a primary supplier and therfore under a different category?

I have posted the question to the BASC for their input.

4 years ago I was getting 40 p frozen , now getting 25p, 20 year ago was getting 55-60p frozen, and was buying s&b cartridges a t£88 a tho.

so now cartridges are £180 a thou, and pigeons are less the half that they were

£120 is only £2.30 a week , how much do people sell their birds for then?

To be honest selling pigeons for 25p is such a **** take as it is without this extra expense. No wonder people dump them.

I tend to use mine as a starter for Charlie, second course are small rabbits I can't shift, third and final course 32 gr or 40 gr copper jacketed bullet.....

isn't to bad when farmers donates few slabs of carts, apart from when he come down to the hide when you packing up and says '' how da get on??? your reply is '' ya good day bagged 180 , and he says ' arr good and gives you 1 box [25] carts, lol :lol::lol:

To be honest selling pigeons for 25p is such a **** take as it is without this extra expense. No wonder people dump them.

• 2 weeks later...

We seem to have lost track of the original question ref pigeons,hunters certs and etc.

Have BASC sparked on NickB65 post Number 14 ?

Yeh like Pig Fly.... BASC are good but I never seem to get a reply from them..... I will give them a prod.

From the BASC......

Since the 1st of January 2006, new rules must be observed by shoots and individuals who supply game and venison (sale or gift). The rules are required to meet a European directive on food safety and are being supervised by the Food Standards Agency (FSA). The rules are changing in the interests of greater food safety and will help to maintain the reputation of game as wild, healthy and nutritious food. From January 2006, if you sell any amount of game to an approved game handling establishment – a game dealer approved by the FSA – you must be able to demonstrate you can satisfy these rules.

The only way to effectivly do this is gan formal cetification or by attwending the BASC training course which is endorsed by the FSA. The courses are running throughout the UK and last no longer than a day. Everyone who meets the course standards will be awarded a LV2 LANTRA Awards certificate from one of two independent awarding bodies.

This is not the cerfiticate you memtioned but is recognised.... still a day out and £120.... (£90 for the course and £30 for the assessment and award)