Simple Question - Dry Firing

Tom1989

This may sound a bit simple but just don't dry fire it? Their isn't normally a reason too and if a gunsmith wants to do it for testing then it's up to him to repair the pin what snaps. I do use snapcaps when storing tho, that might sound a bit hypocritical but it's my routine I've decided to follow...

Modern guns, I wouldn't think are a problem, especially from the bigger manufacturers. So, to the OP with a newish Browning - don't worry about it!

However, some older guns have tapered pins and if you dry fire these (without snap caps) the pin travels too far forwards, ramming the pin in to the point where it may stick or break. Likewise, if you use a used cartridge (not recommended!) more than a few times the dent in the primer will be too deep and either create the scenario I've just mentioned, or even puncture and hold the pin fast - then you have a gun you can't open! If you have an old gun, treat it with some respect and use snap caps :good: .

Update

I test fired the gun today and it's fine. However, I have noticed that the top firing pin is loose. When I tip the gun forward, the top firing pin pops out. I'm not sure if this was caused through the dry firing or before I had the gun (BTW my gun is 25 years old). Even though it doesn't affect the firing of the gun, should I get it looked at? Also, before testing the gun, I tried it with the snap caps. But I only heard one click (as though only one firing pin was discharged). This is what prompted me to test the gun with live rounds. Why does it only let me fire at one barrel with snap caps? Hope this make sense :wacko:

Tom

I know I'm deviating abit from the original post, but at one of my clubs I shoot at has banned snap caps , long story short some dumb dumb let off a cartridge in the club house thinking it was a snap cap and injured some people :no:

:|:|:|:|:|

What a pillock! Someone with that little common sence has no business owning a firearm!

Because the second trigger is reset by the recoil of the gun, hence why it fires 1 with snap caps and 2 with live carts. When you fire the first barrel on snap caps hit the butt pad firmly with your palm and the second trigger will probably fire.

You do really have to wonder with pillocks like that, I prefer my barrels to be empty so i know they are empty but if he had kept his gun in a safe direction them some injury would have been prevented.

Edited by Livefast123

I know I'm deviating abit from the original post, but at one of my clubs I shoot at has banned snap caps , long story short some dumb dumb let off a cartridge in the club house thinking it was a snap cap and injured some people :no:

How an earth could anyone mistake a live cartridge for a snapcap? They look completely different.

How an earth could anyone mistake a live cartridge for a snapcap? They look completely different.

Actually some don't, they are available in assorted plasic and colours, brass and stainless to my certain knowledge, and probably a lot of other flavours as well, on top of which you will no doubt have noticed using spent carts as Snap Caps has also been mentioned here!

....and nobody is perfect, there are times we all do daft things without thinking, he may just have thrown a wobbly! :good::good:

jackinbox99, on 17 May 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Its called an accident.

We all make them, that's why I eliminate any opportunity of making such a mistake, buy not putting anything other than live ammo in my gun when I'm ready to use it.

Update

I test fired the gun today and it's fine. However, I have noticed that the top firing pin is loose. When I tip the gun forward, the top firing pin pops out.

Tom

Sounds like the firing pin or spring has broken. It shouldn't drop forward on a modern gun unless something is amiss.

Because the second trigger is reset by the recoil of the gun, hence why it fires 1 with snap caps and 2 with live carts. When you fire the first barrel on snap caps hit the butt pad firmly with your palm and the second trigger will probably fire.

Might even need to bounce the butt on the floor, but agreed :good:

Just for clarity. Most semi auto`s and pumps have what is called a floating firing pin. It is mechanically unlike the firing pin arrangement in either a modern ou or an older sbs and dry firing cannot cause it any harm.

My old E Harrison (100yrs+) also has floating pins and I wouldn't let it off without something to prevent the extra travel on the firing pins. As you say though, my Beretta AL391 manual states to release the bolt part way and pull the trigger to release the hammer. All depends on what gun has floating pins :yes: .

Sounds like the firing pin or spring has broken. It shouldn't drop forward on a modern gun unless something is amiss.

Might even need to bounce the butt on the floor, but agreed :good:

My old E Harrison (100yrs+) also has floating pins and I wouldn't let it off without something to prevent the extra travel on the firing pins. As you say though, my Beretta AL391 manual states to release the bolt part way and pull the trigger to release the hammer. All depends on what gun has floating pins :yes: .

Just had a look at the owners manual. It seems that only the lower firing pin has a return spring. Strange :huh:

My Miroku MK38s don't have a return spring on the top barrel, as your 325 is to all intents and purposes the same action it's pretty certain not to have a return spring either. Don't panic it's highly unlikely anything is broken.

Probably to stop the new unfired cartridge in the bottom barrel from catching on it as you close the gun....

Good thinking. Just thought it usual as to why they didn't fit a return spring for the upper firing pin as they seem to do it on other guns.

My Miroku MK38s don't have a return spring on the top barrel, as your 325 is to all intents and purposes the same action it's pretty certain not to have a return spring either. Don't panic it's highly unlikely anything is broken.

Good to hear :) I do panic on times but I would never find out these things if it weren't for these forums.

I test fired the gun today and it's fine. However, I have noticed that the top firing pin is loose. When I tip the gun forward, the top firing pin pops out.

My 425 does this also, hope its nothing to worry about, there's no pressure in the pin though so can't see it setting a cart off.

Edited by Trevorevans

would it not be possible to use two empty cartriges in the chambers instead of buying snap caps?

Possible, but not recommended for two reasons.

1. The primer gets very dented after a few uses which defeats the object, or it may even puncture and snag the firing pin .

2. Leaving anything in your gun that looks EXACTLY like a cartridge is a disaster waiting to happen.

Possible, but not recommended for two reasons.

1. The primer gets very dented after a few uses which defeats the object, or it may even puncture and snag the firing pin .

2. Leaving anything in your gun that looks EXACTLY like a cartridge is a disaster waiting to happen.

Point 2 was my reason for posting, a complete and utter disaster waiting to happen.

Wouldn't worry about the odd dry fire, done it hundreds of times and it has never caused an issue ever, the only thing I wouldn't dry fire is a spring airgun or a bow without the arrow as it causes major stress.

Still if the only thing u have to worry about is thr odd dry fire I guess its all good.

My 425 does this also, hope its nothing to worry about, there's no pressure in the pin though so can't see it setting a cart off.

I would be careful with this - I would get it checked, as if you get dirt or grit in the top pin and close the gun with a cartridge in it - it might generate enough reisistance to fire, At least talk to someone who can absolutely confirm its not a problem - I may be being ultra cautious but there's no need to check after its gone off .