.410 and 28bore game guns ?

Just want to see what you think .

Do any of you know anybody or use your self .410 or 28bore regularly at game ???

There are loads of guns set out in that description but iv yet to meet anyone that uses them ?

I would love to think I was brave enough to Unsleave one on a formal driven shoot but in reality I don't know if I would and leave the 12bore at home .

Any of you done/do this ???

Or would you say they are marketed at dads that want there children to shoot and get the miniature versions of there guns ?

I have a fascination with small bore and I intend to invest in a collection over the years .

If you can shoot well enough with one to feel confident at doing it then go for it. I've decoyed/roosted crows/pigeons with various .410's but not sure I'd feel confident on really fast low flying game but that's down to my limitations not the guns.

I intend on getting a .410 o/u multichoke as my next shotgun, I would love a nice beretta but think a yildiz is more my price range. I miss having a .410 in the gun cabinate.

I use a 28 for just about all live quarry shooting, clays do become a little expensive though.

Also, I use 25gm on game, kicks no more than a 12 using 30/32 gm loads.

Don't want the pattern discussion, a hit is a hit.

I use a 28 bore for most of my shooting now great gun and patterns very well I use 21 or 23g loads for most things and towards the ends of the season I used 25g loads I played with 28g but there was no point I find I can kill normal birds very cleanly with 23g of 6s.

I shoot driven game, over spaniels on field trails and walk the hedgerows as well as decoying. People have raised an eyebrow but that's their lack of knowledge IMHO.

Oh if you ask the wife it is my sons gun I bought it for his christening (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

I use a 28 bore on game. Like others have said it's equally as good or better than 12 , as long as you point it in the right direction.

It is expensive to shoot clays but I take it out every now and then to remember it's feel . Had a good day yesterday 25 straight on the skeet and 2 less on sportrap

I use a 410 for squirrels,close rabbits and roosting birds.And recently started using a 20 bore.Hands down my favourite shotgun gauge.I think that a 20 is capable of everything my 12 bore did but is much lighter with less meat damage.Winner!I love the 410 for stalking the hedgerows though!

I too have used .410 on driven and walked up days, in the good 'ole days ducks and geese!

I miss having a .410 too.

I have seen about three 28g being used on driven days and they match the other guages present.

There is imense satisfaction in using the small bore and small guages, I have lost count of the head of game taken home with a .58 smoothbored muzzloader!

Flight lining woodie's and decoying crows have been many an outing in the past with a .410.

U.

Thank you fellas , it seems there's is a good diversity of shooters that also enjoy the small calibre too .

The comments that say you guys feel as confidant with 28g as you do 12g is an eye opener .

Iv yet to shoot a 28g gun but I know I want one .

I know I'm not good enough to shoot .410 consistently at game , so I don't think I would be that hardcore , well not on driven anyway .

Leys hope I can earn plenty this year and join the club and enjoy the little 28g guns with you guys .

All the best , matt

Edited by matt . simmons

Is there much difference between a 20g and a 28g? I've shot a 20, but never a 28. It hit the clay, and there was noticeable less recoil. The drawback to my eyes is that 28g cartridges cost a bit more compared to 20g.

20gauge also has a more versatile range of shot weights, from 21-32gram.

However you look at it pattern density kills and a short shot column would always be preferable to a longer one.

Just my opinion :good:

Edited by sitsinhedges

our first shoot of the year is a small bore day, the numbers of game in the bag to cartridge ratio is not that different to any other day, only may be the birds are a touch closer

236.jpg

not a 12 gauge case in sight

What are those two in the middle then :whistling: and the 20gauge case with 32gram printed on it :lol:

I'm not knocking the small gauges, not at all, but to claim a 12gram .410 load will kill at the extended ranges that a 12gauge 32gram load will is clearly wishful thinking baring a fluke shot.

Put it this way, apart from the number of pellets in the cart they should be equal, velocity and shot size is equal therefore range is equal, there is a difference in the shot length which may cause a few flyers, but at the end of the day the hitting power of a single pellet is the same

With the limited number of pellets obviously your chances of hitting a target are much lower, which tells most people to shoot at closer ranges

The funny thing is many people make up for this by increasing the load which makes a bit of a mockery of the reason for the light guns, if you are going to shoot 24-28 gram you are probably better using a 12 than a 20 or 28 gauge as the recoil is far larger

From history you would get something like 410 =9- 14 gram, 28 = 18-21 gram and 20 gauge - 21-24 gram, 12 gauge 28-36 gram

the only way to determine the maximum effective range for ANY gauge shotgun is to pattern it.

i do a fair bit with .410, and the pattern with 2 1/2" carts will kill reliably @ 20yds, but wound reliably @ 25yds.

using 3" eley carts the pattern is ok out to 25 yds. anything after this range will result in more wounding than killing.

thats just my gun/cart combination though, and i'm trying a few different 3" carts at the moment.

think its just a matter of being honest with yourself and accepting the range at which your pattern begins to fail.

Put it this way, apart from the number of pellets in the cart they should be equal, velocity and shot size is equal therefore range is equal, there is a difference in the shot length which may cause a few flyers, but at the end of the day the hitting power of a single pellet is the same

With the limited number of pellets obviously your chances of hitting a target are much lower, which tells most people to shoot at closer ranges

The funny thing is many people make up for this by increasing the load which makes a bit of a mockery of the reason for the light guns, if you are going to shoot 24-28 gram you are probably better using a 12 than a 20 or 28 gauge as the recoil is far larger

From history you would get something like 410 =9- 14 gram, 28 = 18-21 gram and 20 gauge - 21-24 gram, 12 gauge 28-36 gram

Thing is that the range isn't the same because of velocity and shot size. Lethality requires a number of strikes from pellets containing sufficient energy not just one and that requires a working pattern at range. You will also find that the heavier loads for a given smaller calibre will probably be travelling relatively slowly to keep breech pressures within proof limits.

the only way to determine the maximum effective range for ANY gauge shotgun is to pattern it.

i do a fair bit with .410, and the pattern with 2 1/2" carts will kill reliably @ 20yds, but wound reliably @ 25yds.

using 3" eley carts the pattern is ok out to 25 yds. anything after this range will result in more wounding than killing.

thats just my gun/cart combination though, and i'm trying a few different 3" carts at the moment.

think its just a matter of being honest with yourself and accepting the range at which your pattern begins to fail.

Good post. Agree 100% :good:

What are those two in the middle then :whistling: and the 20gauge case with 32gram printed on it :lol:

I'm not knocking the small gauges, not at all, but to claim a 12gram .410 load will kill at the extended ranges that a 12gauge 32gram load will is clearly wishful thinking baring a fluke shot.

16 bore those 3 blue ones