Why you shouldn't tailgate and Oh the irony

Peskyfoxs

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Few cars in the middle lane are doing 70-most are faster.I would be interested in a courts view,however, of how anyone doing 70 in the middle lane is causing any motorist any harm-you need to break the law to overtake.

I think the point is not that you are speeding or not. If lane 1 is clear, you should in there, whatever speed you are doing. I agree that the average speed on most motorways is now around 80.

I do not have a problem with the speed being 90 as long as the correct spacing and lane discipline is maintained.

Speed does kill, speed at the wrong time and place does.

doing 70 in the middle lane is causing any motorist any harm-you need to break the law to overtake.

as my works van is limited to 71mph, and we get lots of numpties in essex hogging the middle lane, probably thinking they are doing 70mph, but obviously not, otherwise I wouldn't catch up, so I asked a few traffic coppers that I know, if undertaking is breaking the law, for which I got a NO reply, its ok as long as your not zig zagging, as those numpties may not realise that using the thought "I'm doing 70, if they want to overtake they can" idea, is putting my life at risk, expecting me to pull out of the inside proper lane to the third lane, overtake, which they then normally put their foot down a little as they own that middle lane and somewhere in that pea sized brain think no one should overtake, that is the reason for cutting back in early,

far simpler to undertake, you'll notice they will never look at you while you mouth that word, as they know they are in the wrong

as I work nights up london it amazes me the amount of drivers, I'd say 98% that dont know how to read a bus lane sign, blue signs means mandatory, so it'll give you information as to when the inside lane is a bus lane and when it is NOT, you'll get a mile of cars in the right hand lane at 2am in the morning, all driving on the right, because the left is painted on the floor BUS LANE, I suppose I shouldn't moan on that one really, it makes my travel time quicker as I have my own lane all to myself, have even passed coppers that dont read the signs

rant over for today

that is one of my pet hates..drivers that just stick in the middle lane.... :shoot::mad: :mad:

Remember driving down the A1 one morning at 5am after work...doing a nice and steady 70-75 :innocent: when a car in front in the OUTSIDE lane doing 50 mph at a push...little flash of the lights and still there......so I slowed down and waited..then went to use the near side lane...just as I am nearly past I get all the gestures in the world and then he starts flashing me after I go past...muppet

I did that years ago on the M2 coming into Belfast when a women was so busy talking to her passenger (at 65 in the outside lane) that she didn't see me behind her (mirrors badly adjusted).

I flashed politely a couple of times, then flashed again but she still hadn't seen me so I undertook her.

There was a roundabout above the motorway at this point and just as we passed I realised the police car that had been sitting on it was rolling. I was ****ting myself

but they came down the slip road and pulled _her_ in.

:good:

Nial.

The problem with moving into the nearside lane, especially on motorways, is that you are only there a few seconds before pulling out again to go round the next HGV so I can see why people sit in the middle lane right or wrong.

The problem with moving into the nearside lane, especially on motorways, is that you are only there a few seconds before pulling out again to go round the next HGV so I can see why people sit in the middle lane right or wrong.

the trouble is, people then tend to sit there, even if no lorries on inside lane, its as though they believe that lane is for lorries only, or turning left, you have to feel sorry for the muppets, all behind each other, inside lane nice and empty for me to slip up, but even worst, they don't think, "I'm getting undertaken" they just happily sit there like lemmings

the trouble is, people then tend to sit there, even if no lorries on inside lane, its as though they believe that lane is for lorries only, or turning left, you have to feel sorry for the muppets, all behind each other, inside lane nice and empty for me to slip up, but even worst, they don't think, "I'm getting undertaken" they just happily sit there like lemmings

I see your point 955i and I think that your are right. As Stubby says, it's when a driver sits there for hours. My view has always been, 30 secs or less, no point in moving over, anything longer then move back.

Certainly, if you are getting undertaken, it means that driver had more than enough time to pull into the left-hand lane, go past and carry on with their day.

That indicates the driver sat out in that right-hand / middle lane had absolutely no need to...

last week i joined the m62 at Whitefield as i came down the slip road the car on my right in the lefthand lane driven by an old woman,,,,wait for it,,,,,,slowed down and stopped to let me join the carraigway....i was gobsmacked...not as gobbed smacked as the drivers behind her who all came to halt...

mikky

i had an old boy drive down the dual carriageway the wrong way straight at me the irony for me was i didnt see him until the last min as i was following an ambulance in the outside lane and it pulled in then there he was !!!! as he passed me i couldnt help thinking of mr magoo . i guess there will always be bad drivers.

I've always been taught (by ex police instructors) that if you could pull over and sit in the left hand lane for more than 20 seconds before needing to pull out again, then you should do.

I have done nearly 500 motorway miles in the last 2 days and did a little survey, as I always do, on the physical appearance of the middle lane hoggers I came across. I only count the ones i could happily undertake and stay in my lane for at least 30 seconds before i need to move out again. There is always a common theme. Well over three quarters fit into one category. It is nothing to do with gender. Try it yourselves.

I don't tailgate because it's dangerous but when it's clear and safe I under take all the time now and just get past, get on with it and get on my way - I used to think it wrong and feel a sense of embarrassment but round here they made the M25 into 5 lanes and it's like driving back to front - the outside lanes are clogged solid and the inside lanes open and clear.

Frankly, if I had £1 for everytime I had undertaken a Nigerian in a world of their own or an angry 50+ year old with a sense of entitlement doing 55 mph in the outside lane (and for their entire journey) then I could hire a Chauffeur.

If someone wants to go faster than me, I get out of their way - it's a simply matter of pulling over, it's not a big deal. I normally think "brilliant, I'll follow them at a distance and the police can nab him first for speeding" :lol:

Edited by Mungler

Only drove on it a few times (25) can understand why people undertake on it as its bonkers compared with driving further north last time I was on it I had wipers on full lashing it down proper bad Im in the Middle lane doing 70 as the 1st lane was partually flooded when cars started undertaking me doing 100+ at least , I also remember driving to gatwick and seeing 2 minibuses in collision with several fatalities they must be a box at each end to place your brains in , boils down to lifestyle and rushing I suppose :(

I got told off by the missus recently for having an in car rant at a pensioner, she said I would be old too someday which is fair enough, but I was following this guy down the motorway slip road and he was joining at 35mph.

I explained to her it was bloody dangerous and should carry the same penalties as speeding!

Edited by 955i

but I was following this guy down the motorway slip road and he was joining at 35mph.

I explained to her it was bloody dangerous and should carry the same penalties as speeding!

Jeezzz!

TBH its alright for you lot with 3 lanes to use. The A9 by me is horrendous as it is single lane. People toddle along at slow speed admiring the scenery holding everyone up, then the stupid overtakes happen. PLEASE PLEASE use your mirrors and allow people to pass, even if you think that they are breaking the limit. YOU ARE NOT THE LAW.

Sorry feel a bit better for that. Driving is such a prickly subject as everyone thinks they are the best. All I would like to see is a little more awareness and courtessy. Actually, that goes for almost every aspect of modern living. Sadly.

You will be surprised how many people genuinely dont know how to drive properly, with things like slip roads many people think they have the right of way over people already on the motorway or even something as simple as maximum speed limits. You would think that people would need refresher courses every 10 years or something, an old boy probably doesnt know how to use a slip road because there wernt any when he learnt.

You will be surprised how many people genuinely dont know how to drive properly,

tell me about it, people driving with rear fog lights on, when it aint foggy, now that is against the law, but never see them getting pulled