patterning a shotgun

tx4cabbie

I have had my Beretta 682 32" for about 6 years, and for many reasons, not least that it has a cheekeez pad on the comb, it has become the starter Gun for people joining our club who are new to shooting.

My Mate started shooting nearly two years ago, with my Gun, and his score went up gradually to the mid thirties out of fifty. Then he got his ticket, and got himself a bettinsoli diamondline o/u 12 with 28" barrels.

Obviously, New Gun, takes some time to get used to, but his scores are not improving, staying around the early 20s out of fifty.

its not the Gun, bettinsoli are good Guns, and digweed with a baikal would beat me with a kreighoff, it's not the Gun.

Eye dominance has been checked and is ok. Gun fit is ok. All I can think of is pattern- I know my Gun shoots about 50/50 above and below the bead, how I mount it. Does his shoot high or low, only way to find out is patterning it.

so how? Where do you get paper big enough to pattern a shotgun? Looked online, no-one sells patterning cards, where do you find paper that big? How do you all pattern Your Guns?

thanks in advance, leon

If you go to your local newspaper they often have "short rolls" of news print, I believe it is about 30" wide and I have had rolls--pretty long. I think these shortys are what is left before they change spools.

To get on with patterning place the target at an arbitrary distance-most use 40 yds- and put in the tightest tube to see precisely where it centers the charge. I use some marking paint or spray a small ball in the center and back off the distance. Have him throw the gun up and shoot as if it were a moving target- cheek on comb--eyes on ball. This will tell more about fit then deliberately aiming at the dot, all that tells is choke restriction which is important but a separate issue from fit.

Cut a piece of plywood or use scrap enough to staple your paper to. I employ an old hinge and some 1X4 for a leg.

Edited by coyotemaster

Cheers chaps, some great ideas, will look into knocking something up, it's gutting him to struggle on some easy targets, maybe a pattern session will help.

we are on the London/Essex border, bakerboy, don't know anywhere round here that does pattern boards or any clubs with pattern plates.

Will dig out some battens from garage, and see if any wallpaper or paper tableclothes about.

thanks again, leon

Its not necessary to go to 40 yards (which needs very large paper sheets) to see where the pattern is going. I believe a lot of places use 15 to 20 yards.

Personally, I would go to a gunfitter/shooting school because you will not learn much by treating the gun like a rifle and lining it up with 'sights'. Most guns when 'aligned' like this will shoot where expected.

What you need to do is to see where the gun places the pattern when mounted normally and instinctively - and this is quite hard to do. This is where someone with experience will be able to see what is happening.

Most sporters shoot 60% above and 40% below POA, Game are 50%-50%

I think most game guns shoot a little high as well, 60/40 being considered normal because most game is rising/incoming. I had assumed most clays guns were more 50/50, but no firm knowledge. The only gun I had formally fitted (Beretta game model) was about 60/40, but another I have tried on the plate (no fitting) was nearer 50/50 ish.

I never got my head round patterning.

For me it has always been going to the skeet range, and shooting a crosser, doesn't matter which one, and knowing that I can normally hit it. When I don't, with a new gun, I try shooting lower or higher, with the same lead, at the same target. One or the other will always hit it, and then I know how to adjust the gun.