40gr or 50gr b'tip for fox

Evening everyone,

Further to my post on 222 rem reloading, could I get your thoughts on the question above?

I've always used 50gr Sako arrowhead and got on fine with this. But as I'm going to have a go at loading my own and some on here and other boards swear by Hornady 40's, I thought I'd ask for opinions!

I,d like to thank at this stage Hawkeye and Wymberley from here helping me out with some reloading kit.

I've also had reasonable results with 40gr winchester silvertip but the're getting a bit pricey for me now to be honest.

Thanks in advance for any comments

Really, there's such a wide range available, it's down to personal choice, what the barrel likes and economy if appropriate. As said the Nosler BT is cracker if it suits but does not do so well in the economy stakes.

Have a look at the BC for their 40, 50 and 55 gn offerings against the Hornady V Max range and there's one of those 6 that stands out; is one of the two weights that you mention and they won't break the bank. If it suits, that's my choice.

I shoot vmax 40gr with Vit n133 and 50 gr vmax with N130 I could recommend both Not had a fox missed with either or even move.

Shot a big dog running at 190 yds with 40 grns and absolutely no movement after.

How come you don't use n133 for the 50 gr mate.

Reggiegun

How come you don't use n133 for the 50 gr mate.

Reggiegun

Reggie, I could but I had a recipe given to me for the gun when I bought it and the chap developed this load over a fair time and I have to say its very accurate - even gave me an ogive attachment for his Mitoturo as part of the kit.

So on the principle if it aint broke, I've stuck to it. I am just running out of N133 so I shall be trying 40gr vmax with the N130 - faster burning but the external ballistics are quite similar (according to my book ).

Cheers

Reggie, I could but I had a recipe given to me for the gun when I bought it and the chap developed this load over a fair time and I have to say its very accurate - even gave me an ogive attachment for his Mitoturo as part of the kit.

So on the principle if it aint broke, I've stuck to it. I am just running out of N133 so I shall be trying 40gr vmax with the N130 - faster burning but the external ballistics are quite similar (according to my book ).

Cheers

I have just changed to n133 as I cannot get varget any more

heavier the better

you get minimal trajectory gain using 40's out of a 222 (22-250 is a different matter)

drop you can account for easily

wind is not so easy

when shooting predominantly in the dark, I dont want to be second guessing a 3" drift, i want to aim for upper chest and shoot knowing it will be there or thereabouts when it arrives

I use 50VMax, 52AMax(bought the postal and they are cheaper than VMax, bit messier on foxes) and 60gr SP (Roe) over N133

they all hit very hard

case in point.

to match a 50gr at 3100fps in energy terms a 40gr needs to be clocking almost 3500fps

Easily? not on a standard 23-24" barrel

you might (will) run out of case volume and be running compressed and max loads/pressures to get to it.... for what?

To deliver energy levels you can get for less powder with a bullet that has better BC?

The trajectory advantage isn;t there - its only when you start getting into the 4k mark that you see any significant advantage

a 40gr can be clocking 3500 all day long but still have a lower POI at 200yds with the same 100yd zero

similarly 50gr can easily be pushed over 3100- thats just what I run them at. there is no improvement on accuracy or reduction in drop trying to push them faster

both 40 and 50gr bullets do drift in the wind, one significantly more than the other. based on real world tests not online calculators

My point is the 40gr doesn't offer any significant advantage over the 50gr but it does have an obvious disadvantage,

one that most people would agree is the one variable that is more difficult to judge than drop

When lamping i don't want to be thinking:

"I wonder if that breeze is a little stronger in that gully I am about to shoot over than it is here?"!

"Am I going to drift an inch or so more than I first thought?"

"Will I be risking winging its head if I aim dead on?"

I want to see the target, aim and fire.

I gave up on 40's as a result of their poor performance not to get into a "mine is heavier than yours" contest.

just my 2p

Well all I will say is my findings were not the same as yours.

I just centered my foxs to in excess of 200yds back in the day and noted no difference in performance between 40 and heavier bullets.

Stick to standard loadings if you wish but I always maxamise a cartridge that can take it be. 222 is the equal to 223 except for less volume. The case head is the same. My old manuals have loads knocking on the door og 4grand. 3500 with a 40grn in 222 s) is hamstringing it.

Head shooting a fox at200 is not wise because of the risk of simply smashing a jaw. Bullet weight wont help that!

I have seen 222 on the 40's take plenty of distance shots in wind in two rifles near 4grand and never see any bad pressures. Good case life andnothing blew up. In fact one factory round did nearly blow my gun up but none of my reloads ever did!

U.

I am finding this thread very interesting as it saves me from asking a similar question in the future, so the more information that is offered the better for all of us concerned.

I am about to start my own reloading once I get all of the gear together (Another week or so) for both my .222 (to be used predominantly for foxes) and for my .243 (Predominantly for deer), but I will be concentrating on the .222 for now as I still have a good stock of .243 Partizan in my safe.

At the moment I have reloaded some .222 rounds at my mates using both Sierra 50g Softpoints and Nosler 55g BTs and tested them for grouping - 10 rounds of each - shooting 2 groups of 5 of each weight at fresh targets. The 55g Nosler BTs gave a slightly better group than the 50g Sierra Soft Points (A (Tight) 3/4 inch group with the Noslers as opposed to a (Large) 1 inch group with the Sierras) I then got hold of some Hornady V-Max in (As I recall - All the gear is still with my mate so I can't be 100% certain) 52g which gave an even tighter group - Much closer to a 1/2 inch 5 shot group over 100 yards so I have decided that it is those that suit my rifle best - It's now just a matter of working with different loads to optimise the performance.

These are fired through my CZ 527 which I believe has a 1-12 twist rate through it's original 24 inch (Including chamber) barrel!

I am finding this thread very interesting as it saves me from asking a similar question in the future, so the more information that is offered the better for all of us concerned.

I am about to start my own reloading once I get all of the gear together (Another week or so) for both my .222 (to be used predominantly for foxes) and for my .243 (Predominantly for deer), but I will be concentrating on the .222 for now as I still have a good stock of .243 Partizan in my safe.

At the moment I have reloaded some .222 rounds at my mates using both Sierra 50g Softpoints and Nosler 55g BTs and tested them for grouping - 10 rounds of each - shooting 2 groups of 5 of each weight at fresh targets. The 55g Nosler BTs gave a slightly better group than the 50g Sierra Soft Points (A (Tight) 3/4 inch group with the Noslers as opposed to a (Large) 1 inch group with the Sierras) I then got hold of some Hornady V-Max in (As I recall - All the gear is still with my mate so I can't be 100% certain) 52g which gave an even tighter group - Much closer to a 1/2 inch 5 shot group over 100 yards so I have decided that it is those that suit my rifle best - It's now just a matter of working with different loads to optimise the performance.

These are fired through my CZ 527 which I believe has a 1-12 twist rate through it's original 24 inch (Including chamber) barrel!

Good groups are always useful, but terminal performance is very important as well, different types/weights of bullet may give better overall performance even if the groups are not quite so good.

It's a BIG picture with ammo/loads/barrels/quarry/etc., there is no simple answer! :good:

as said by Dekers run them over a chrono as well to see what they are doing, groups can be affected by load and seating depth etc so there are heaps of variables to play with, but if you are getting half inch I'd just shoot them over a chrono and check velocity and then have a look at what they do in the field