Best Shave

fat_jay

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After the last big thread on shaving last year I bought a Razor Pit. Best money I spent on shaving ever. It keeps the blade on my Gillette power nice and clean making for a comfortable shave every time. I've had it around eight months and I'm still on my second blade saving ££££. I shave three times a week, that's a fair number of shaves.

I reckon I can get by with 3 or max 4 blades per year.

No rashes or irritations.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick one folks, Whats your shaving routine as in do you shave with the grain or against it or both ?

I had an amazing shave in Vegas at: The Art of Shaving and loved it. But I have battled the last 14 or so years to not get razzor burn and rash etc. I have both saftey razor and cartridge razor (gillette fusion power) i would say the cartridge shave has given the least redness and burn. The Art of Shaving place introduced me to pre-shave oil (which i now really recomend) so I am tempted to try the safety razor again but I may stick with just shaving with the grain as previously I shaved with and against and every other direction possible.

ATB

Matt

Just a quick one folks, Whats your shaving routine as in do you shave with the grain or against it or both ?

I had an amazing shave in Vegas at: The Art of Shaving and loved it. But I have battled the last 14 or so years to not get razzor burn and rash etc. I have both saftey razor and cartridge razor (gillette fusion power) i would say the cartridge shave has given the least redness and burn. The Art of Shaving place introduced me to pre-shave oil (which i now really recomend) so I am tempted to try the safety razor again but I may stick with just shaving with the grain as previously I shaved with and against and every other direction possible.

ATB

Matt

Shave in the shower or under steam, never second guess changing the blade when it needs it and take your time - put a mirror on the wall in the shower and put the radio on (LBC for me :lol: )

I suffered from razor burn and the only way to sort it is by pulling the hairs out with tweezers and applying TCP at night. The tweezering hurts like hell but it stops the hairs from growing in and going sceptic.

And make sure the collar on your shirts aren't too tight or rubbing.

You can accelerate the healing process with a sauna.

The end.

Edited by Mungler

I went for a haircut and cut throat shave at the barbers this afternoon. I had the works, the hot towel, head massage and all that shizzle.

If I had the time and money I would go to the barbers twice a week for a shave and **** off my razor :)

The landlord at my local when I was a young man, used to be a barber at Harrods in the 60's and while there he met Peter Revson, racing driver and heir to the Revlon cosmetics empire. He worked as a sort of valet for Revson and went all around the world with him cutting his hair and shaving him etc.

When I got married he gave me a haircut and a shave on the morning of the wedding. I've never had a close shave like it since. He used a standard double edged Wilkinson sword razor blade but spent more time on softening the bristle with a proper badger hair brush and natural Erasmus shaving soap. He always maintained that you could shave with a sharp sickle but should concentrate on getting the bristle soft with hot water and soap. A bit like painting he said the success is down to the preparation, and you should always shave in a downward direction starting at the top of the cheek.

He had some aftershave which was like lighter fuel it was probably 90% alcohol.

He used the cutthroat and a comb to cut my hair.

I remember even though it was 30 years ago how many people commented on my skin that day as the shave was so close and smooth there was no trace of any facial hair.

Try the old way with the soap stick and the badger hair brush it really works...and...there should be plenty of them about now

Shaving gels and foams seem to just reduce friction between the cutting edge and the skin and don't soften the bristle which is essential to the closest shave.

Treat yourself this Christmas

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/

I have recently got very interested in the whole shaving thing, the whole ceremony of it has really appealed to me. I always used to use a cartridge blade but now I use a shavette or a de razor with feather blades. I have binned the foam can and now use a brush and palm olive cream. Found that after a bit of practice you really do get a fantastic shave. Biggest mishap so far was when I was using the de blade under my nose and I managed to cut and scoop. Very messy and painful lesson learned.

Good tip on money saving with the shaving Creme.

I use sandalwood Taylor's of old bond street and I'm still on my first pot from months ago. You only have to dab the badger brush in and you have plenty ready to go!

In use a double edge and have a variety of different blades, Treet, feather, derby etc etc and all produce a great shave.

Biggest mishap so far was when I was using the de blade under my nose and I managed to cut and scoop. Very messy and painful lesson learned.

Oh yes, been there....

The biggest problem with a DE razor is getting under the schnozzola properly.

I don't know which eye wateringly expensive cartridge razor it is (Fusion plus?) but there one that has a razor on the other side of the cartridge for getting a straight edge on sidies and getting right under the nose - that is genius and a great invention, but at a fiver + a cartridge I now just take my time with a DE razor and save myself £4.98 each time.

Edited by Mungler

Seems to be a varied amount of views on this and after 5 odd pages I'm still un decided on this..

I use a Mach 3 and foam in a can.. But I'm looking at the shaving thing and would like to go down the route of the old wilkinson sord thing but remember my recruit training in the marines and only being able to use the traditional soap and blade routine and nearly cutting my face off on many occasion...so I'm still insecure about the whole thing, but we did have to use cold water and often we had Camo face coverings so I guess it's all in the preparation..can anyone post me a link to a recommended set of blades and badger brush and foam/soap..

Rich.

Any one else use a 'Razor Pit' ?

I've just Googled it and they look like a good way to save money.

i use one and it does extend the life of the blade,i tend to get 3-4 shaves out of a feather blades, for anyone interested i just got 50 blades of amazon for £7.80 delivered. link here-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0095OCWM6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rich..Try looking at the TSR (The shaving Room) Forum...loads of info on there for double edged shavers...or straight razors either.

I use an old 7 o'clock open comb razor, thats older than me, 1940's vintage..and it gives a superb irritation free shave everytime with Gillette yellow sharpedge Blades and "proper" shaving soap (Mitchells wool fat )applied with a Badger brush...NEVER use canned aerosol glop with a DE razor...

For a BBS (babies bum smooth) shave use a three pass shave....

one pass down with the grain of the whiskers...WTG

Second pass across the grain of the whiskers..ie shaving from the ear inwards towards your nose......XTG

Third pass against the grain.....ATG

Remember DE razors are about gradual whisker reduction, each pass cutting the bristle a bit shorter..and not about trying to shave the whole lot smooth in one go...DON'T PRESS ON as you do with a cartridge razor, its all about lightness of pressure...

Rinse the soap residue off with warm water, and finish off with a cold rinse to close the pores and rub in a moisturising cream...Yeah sissy stuff, but it works.

If your bristles are very tough, (Mine are like steel wire)......apply a HOT wet flannel to the face first for a few seconds.....softens the whiskers.

I think I may have to get a new blade for me razor. It don't seem to be as good as it was in 1970. Just the thought of dragging a sharp blade across my throat when half asleep gives me the heebie, jeebies! Besides you lose the joy of being able to have seconds of every meal without being called a pig. What better place is there to hide the odd bit of bacon in for you to enjoy later in the day?

:sad1::sad1:

one thing that piddles me off is there's so many different types of razor out now that i keep forgetting which one i actually have back in the bathroom, i bought mach 3 blades yesterday, only to find out this morning that i have a sensor excell in the shave bag, the missus is shopping luckily enough so will pick me up a new razor body, but that's another tenner!

all because the daughter has moved back home and decided to pinch my razor, the bitch! her board and lodging rate has just gone up :lol:

I went for a wet shave in Clitheroe yesterday. All over in less than 15 minutes and blood pouring from my neck. Evidently, this was my fault for having a "sensitive" spot. I thought a decent barber would know how to account for varying skin types: they do at Trumpers, for example.

It cost £14 and I can't help but think that I got what I paid for. Trumpers costs much more, but it's a much more relaxing - and bloodless - experience.

I went for a wet shave in Clitheroe yesterday. All over in less than 15 minutes and blood pouring from my neck. Evidently, this was my fault for having a "sensitive" spot. I thought a decent barber would know how to account for varying skin types: they do at Trumpers, for example. It cost £14 and I can't help but think that I got what I paid for. Trumpers costs much more, but it's a much more relaxing - and bloodless - experience.

ouch!

that'd put me off for sure. something about having another bloke man handle my chops at close quarters with a ********** sharp razor in the other hand doesn't sit well with me.

i might just put off going to trumans xmas

Guest newarcher1

right after 40yrs I decided to use a de blade this morning, for the past 3 weeks I have been using shaving soap ,badger hair brush ,preshave , and a mach3 ,which I have to say as been very good. on my 1st pass I drew blood on my cheek bone,3 places on my neck ,on my chin , and under the nose . the small mole on my cheek ,well that's pretty much gone now. rinsed off with cold water ., and prayed the bleeding would stop before I ran out of styptic pencil . off to a army surplus store this morning to buy some dog tags and have my blood group inscribed on them!

right after 40yrs I decided to use a de blade this morning, for the past 3 weeks I have been using shaving soap ,badger hair brush ,preshave , and a mach3 ,which I have to say as been very good. on my 1st pass I drew blood on my cheek bone,3 places on my neck ,on my chin , and under the nose . the small mole on my cheek ,well that's pretty much gone now. rinsed off with cold water ., and prayed the bleeding would stop before I ran out of styptic pencil . off to a army surplus store this morning to buy some dog tags and have my blood group inscribed on them!

Persevere for a few shaves.. It DOES get better, believe me. It's just getting past all the blemishes that multi blade razors leave.

I had the full wet shave treatment at Trumans in norwich a couple of weeks ago, it was brilliant, the full treatment was great, massage, hot and cold towels, pre shaves and after shave balms, it was a real treat and had a good giggle with the fellas in the shop. My kit now for home shaves is a parker DE razor, feather blades, badger brush, Edwin Jagger shaving soap and after shave moisterising balm. I still manage the occasional "nick" but so far have avoided bleeding to death, although i often sport several pieces of bog roll on my face on the early portion of an evening out!!

I went for a wet shave in Clitheroe yesterday. All over in less than 15 minutes and blood pouring from my neck. Evidently, this was my fault for having a "sensitive" spot. I thought a decent barber would know how to account for varying skin types: they do at Trumpers, for example. It cost £14 and I can't help but think that I got what I paid for. Trumpers costs much more, but it's a much more relaxing - and bloodless - experience.

That's a bloody long way to go for a shave from Essex...??? Excuse the pun.

I have finally worked my way through the 15 assorted blades that I got on the bay (I had a spreadsheet and everything)! I now know the best blade for my face. However, only a couple were any good on a second use. But at the price of them, I think i'll just use a new one each time! It's still bundles cheaper that the cartridge route.

I'm almost out of the Bluebeards shaving cream and I think i'm now on a slippery slope to find the best cream for my face too. I'm going to use this as a guide but am fully aware it will be different for everybody and is completely subjective; http://www.shaving-shack.com/blog/the-worlds-top-10-shaving-creams/

Anybody recommend a good cream?