Who suffers from recoil?

Harnser

Lots fo posts on here about the effect of recoil from certain loads . Some think the .270 and the .308 kick like a mule . I must be as thick as it gets as I do not think these calibres kick at all. although they both bark a bit. Some wont shoot over 28 grams in a shot gun because of the excessive recoil ,again I will shoot any load and not bother at all with recoil . The worst effect of recoil I have experienced was shooting full house loads through my .44 magnum pistol ,now they were hand stingers .

Still ,as my dear old mother used to say "were theres no sense theres no feeling "

I think we are turning into a bunch of woos es .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

my mate bought a baikal for £25 quid in the late eighties brand new from hes mate who had never fired it so off we went down the farm and i was the guinypig i fired a 32g 6 shoot baikal cart and the felt recoil put me on my ar** as both barrels went off at once gave me a black eye no body else had the ba88s to fire it that would have been 1987 never fired a baikal since

Gun mount/hold, experience and gun fit, all you need to know. No point in being a big man and 'taking the pain' if your mount is so crud you're missing targets.

When I very first started shooting clays I nearly gave it up, did 100 sporting with the lightest 12 bore ever, a terrible mount, and Kent Velocity. It hurt.

With the right gun, technique and experience you ought to be able to bang on all day.

Never understood the fuss about the .270, or the .308 for that matter. My old Parker Hale .308 was a horrible thing to shoot, admittedly, but only because at the end of its days it was a rattly old dog with a worn out throat, a cut down barrel and no moderator. The Tikka m595 I've got now (unmoderated) is a pussy cat, and I shoot heavier loads with it. Much depends on the condition and fit of the gun.

A mate has a .338 win mag and that is a bit snappy with some of his snorty loads. (That's unmoderated as well). It can sting a bit after a couple of hours on the range, but it doesn't exactly knock you off your feet. Low pressure dangerous game loads aren't too bad either. High pressure varieties like the .378 Weatherby mag are spiteful though. (80 ft/lb of recoil as opposed to 12 ft/lb with a .308).

As for shotguns - what recoil? If a shotgun is hurting you, you're holding it wrong or it doesn't fit.

I've found the .270 snappy in a light rifle too, I'm not a fan. Recoil varies a lot though and I found my .375H&H quite reasonable to shoot. My .338 Win Mag, well I had to give up on that before I'd got the sights set up completely as I was flinching them. In the field it's fine but on the range half a dozen shots and I've had enough of it. I have a fairly high pain tolerance and my shoulders take a bashing at work, but pain is pain and at the end of the day it's not nice.

I find fast recoil like the .300 Win Mag and .270 bothers me far more than slow thumps from heavier cartridges.

I hadnt been clay shooting for 7 months until yesterday, and 50 shots through my SxS was enough and i will admit i was a bit tender afterwoulds. Pigeon shooting i am fine with it, but with the clays just shooting one after the other and only wearing a t-shirt definitely got to me. I can definitely feel the difference shooting 32's through it aswell.

I bought a 26" Bettinsoli game gun. It was very light and ideal to use in a hide.

However, when I used it on 100 sporting clays then, after about 50 clays, my head would be spinning and I started getting trigger freeze. I tried 21g carts and it helped but still wasn't completely comfortable.

I changed it for a semi-auto with inertia action and it solved the problem.

I use a SxS with 30-30g loads for game shooting without a problem.

Shooting game and clays is different of course. Clays tend to be continuous shooting and game is more intermittent.

I would suggest to anyone suffering recoil problems, use a heavy gun. It will absorb some of the recoil

Perhaps why a lot of semi autos are used for pigeon shooting and clays, using the 'punch' to good effect. I fire 3 1/2 magnum 65 grams through mine and that rocks a bit. I agree with many above that how you hold the weapon at the point of pulling the trigger is key. If the recoil is directly into you, via a hard contact, its no problem but if you hold loose or slack it can be painful with a number of heavier loads.

I had a 20 bore beretta game gun once with 30 inch barrels and even with the smallest loads it kicked badly - wasnt fit but a light gun and a smaller area of stock on the shoulder.

I suspect the head ringing is from excessive noise and not recoil - get a semi and enjoy it again but wear the electronic ear defenders !

Having reffed three days of the Jack Pyke Open at Sporting Targets last week. I found it interesting just how many shooters placed the gun stock against either their arm or the front of the shoulder rather than the natural pocket approximately four inches in from the outside edge of the arm.

I suspect there was quite a lot of bruising after shooting 120 testing targets.

hiya, i have got a 682 gold e i havent had it long and i had it fitted , on friday i shot 200 clays and my shoulder hurts to say the least would you say it does not fit properly or my mount isnt right. i am considering putting a kick eez pad on it has anyone got any views on these, cheers

hiya, i have got a 682 gold e i havent had it long and i had it fitted , on friday i shot 200 clays and my shoulder hurts to say the least would you say it does not fit properly or my mount isnt right. i am considering putting a kick eez pad on it has anyone got any views on these, cheers

Do you regularly shoot 200 clays?

Guest cookoff013

Do you regularly shoot 200 clays?

not far off, i did go through a time when i wasnt shooting for 4-5 weeks, then i "make up" for the time.

I use a SP1 28" barrels, 13 and 1/3 stock - I'm 5 foot and not skinny but not big. I have regularly shot 200 in one day and in an extreme shot 550 cartridges at South Wales 2000 (husband shooting OT registered and left me alone to play on my own!) I use 21gm and 24 gm - absolutely no recoil, no problems whatsoever even the day of the 550 cartridges but if I have to use 28gm which I avoid like the plague but needs must occasionally I feel it and I don't like it - it's not painful it's just really tiring and annoying and I am sure it makes my head hurt a bit afterwards.