Advice please Small deer 10 foot away & didn't take the shot

kennym

Ok so while out shooting nothing about so I decided to check out the beck side I know there's fox there so I wanted to check out for fresh diggings,

Earlier on I had seen a deer in the field, I was tucked up & it didn't see me maybe 15 yards away untold I stood up. The. Later stomping down the beck side I saw a young deer jus 10 feet away I just looked at me I'd did think it looked loverly ..... Loverly & tasty that is I was loaded with 50g 3s which I think would of done the job at ten feet but admittedly not knowing if it would be a clean kill or if there was any legal implications I just enjoyed the view & took some pics.

For a opportunist kill was my load viable & would it of been a legal shot I had full permission & the farmer would of loved half a deer.

I always say if you don't know ask .

post-10492-0-66309500-1372687767_thumb.jpg

Well done on not shooting it! If it was a munty (which it appears to be fron what i can see on my phone) then .223 minimum and if anything else then .243 or bigger required but then it would have been a youngster and not shot. Your description of small deer implies you could not identify the species though and therefore know the season or sex.

Edited by oscarsdad

I suspect that you will get the full blast of your 50g 3's when others read this post.

Why would that be I didn't know if it was wrong or right so didn't do it ?

Instead I asked advice if I was to want to take up deer stalking I would be all over the rules & regulation to make sure I was doing it right

Well done on not shooting it! If it was a munty (which it appears to be fron what i can see on my phone) then .223 minimum and if anything else then .243 or bigger required but then it would have been a youngster and not shot. Your description of small deer implies you could not identify the species though and therefore know the season or sex.

Depending which country you are in would determine what caliber and bullet weight

shotuns can be used..not sure on exact laws as I have no interest in shooting bambi but it can be done. ..

.certain shot size etc.

Well done for not pulling the trigger

and you are right, it is better to ask, atleast then you know...but...prepare for the high and mighty members to have a go

Edited by TJ91

Thanks!

Picking up on your last point TJ91 If people think its appropriate to ..have a go at me For not shooting when I wasn't sure, and then for admitting I don't know everything about shooting & asking those who may know more for advice then I'm really not sure I would want to listen to such people as it says more about them and there commitment to furthering the shooting community than it does about me.

But you know how it is some people just want to feel good about them selves at any cost

Thanks!

Picking up on your last point TJ91 If people think its appropriate to ..have a go at me For not shooting when I wasn't sure, and then for admitting I don't know everything about shooting & asking those who may know more for advice then I'm really not sure I would want to listen to such people as it says more about them and there commitment to furthering the shooting community than it does about me.

But you know how it is some people just want to feel good about them selves at any cost

nice picture mate and well done for not pulling the trigger Edited by martyn2233

Thanks!

Yeah fair play to ya mate, you did nothing wrong. If you have deer on the land maybe look into you dsc1 and getting a suitable caliber firearm.

Sure there plenty of folks on here who can advice you on the right channels.

Fairly sure a shotgun with a large load would kill most things at 10ft

Karpman

It would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with The Deer Act, that will give you all the information that you need regarding the legalities of shooting deer.

Get it right first time, rather than taking advice from a few on here that have not much more idea than yourself.

Well done for asking before pulling the trigger though.

50 grams of no 3 shot would certainly have killed it stone dead at 10 feet . But you would have committed an offense by using a shotgun . A shotgun can be used under certain conditions with the permission of the land owner . The deer would have to have been eating a drilled crop or any other commercial planting and causing damage .

The cartridge that you had in your gun was totally unacceptable for the use on deer . You would need 00buck ,ssg ,or slugs to do a proper job .

Incidently I think the deer is a young fallow or roe deer . You did right not to shoot it ,in or out of season .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

You need a rifle and you are fairly unique in asking for advice - so just because you havent shot a deer before doesnt mean you merit criticism - far the reverse in my book and as some have said good on you for asking. To me its a young roe so you have others about. Get your farmer to confirm in writing you can shoot deer on the land and put in for a 243 or .308 - assuming the lands cleared you may get mentoring so take someone out with you and learn - meet the conditions and you'll be away with the mixer. Good man.

Harnser has spelt the law out and you did the right thing not shooting. However it's worth knowing had it been injured you could have shot it legally with what you had but that is the only instance.

It's also not a muntjac by the looks of things

nice picture , i saw my first roe kid of this year last weekend and nice to see ,no point in pulling the trigger at that age unless its the camera trigger that is .

looks to me that it is a roe kid ,black muzzle and white bottom lip atb wayne

Yes, it is a Roe kid, well done for not shooting. The rules for the use of a shotgun are as stated previously, but the only shot you can legally use are AAA or a single non spherical projectile (slug) of not less than 350 grains. The calibre of shot gun is to be not less than 12 gauge. :good:

Yes, it is a Roe kid, well done for not shooting. The rules for the use of a shotgun are as stated previously, but the only shot you can legally use are AAA or a single non spherical projectile (slug) of not less than 350 grains. The calibre of shot gun is to be not less than 12 gauge. :good:

Actually it's shot size AAA and above and as you say, only for those exempt under the act.

Actually it's shot size AAA and above and as you say, only for those exempt under the act.

OMG, I was going buy what is stated in DBPG for England and Wales, which is obviously the minimum requirement. Sorry that I did not make this obvious in my post, but I am sure that the less pedantic members will have understood the meaning in my statement. My reason for mentioning this is that a friend stated 00 shot as the required size and I thought that I would elaborate but should have stated that you can go down to AAA as a minimum. :no::no: :no: :no:

Edited by Blunderbust

Yes definetly a young Roe, would have been a shame to shoot the fawn with anything, legal or not. Its a great temptation for many and well done for not killing it. Though the deer laws are a joke by the lack of enforcement but the laws are there as stated by the above posts also the deer are protected by seasons, in this case it would have been extremely difficult to determine if this was a buck or doe. Your a noble fella as many, especially those out at night with lamps after other quarry,would not have spared this young deer.

Edited by Redgum

• 4 weeks later...