motorbike advice

goodo123

Fellow pw's I am thinking of getting a motorcycle. I don't currently have a license and have very little experience on them (apart from a mopped). I'm 25 so looking to do direct access. How. Easy are the new tests? Bit of a open question but I mean what are they looking for? How strict are they etc. Also had a quick look at what bike to get. All American forums say get a 250 to start with then others say 600. If I'm doing my test on a 600 then what would be the point in going backwards and getting a 250?. I was thinking about a old ish gsxr, as I'm quite short and told these are more comfortable to ride for a sports bike. Also do they still do intensive courses? Would this be worth doing as a novice? Btw I drive a car so no issues with road awareness etc and have done two mock theory tests and passed with flying colors. Also do they have to be kept inside? How susceptible are they to weather?

My, that's a lot of questions. O.K

My son passed his test first time last year. He wasn't old enough to do direct access though.

You will have to do your test on a bike over a certain hp (usually about 500cc). Word of advice: Don't try to do the test on a sportsbike. You defiinitely won't be able to turn it in the road without putting your feet down. That's why schools use upright 500s. Get whatever bike you want AFTER your test as you won't be able to ride it at all without an instructor.

Yes they still do courses from 2-5 days. You will need to do your CBT either before this course or as part of it.

We keep our bikes inside, but rain doesn't really hurt them, it's the salt on the roads in winter that cause the damage.

I couldn't tell you how hard the test is as when I did mine, all I had to do was ride round the block and the examiner was watching as I went past. :good: They follow you on a bike or in a car these days.

Hope this helps.

Walshie raises a good point about the CBT.

The question on how hard the test is, depends on your riding ability... If the theory is easy to you.

I did my test when i was 18. So had to be restricted to 33hp for 2 years. However the test is the same. There is a guy that rides with you, well follows behind you. you have a head set in one ear, so he can give you directions on where to go. He checks your use of mirrors, your last minute glances over your shoulder, road positioning and your confidence in riding.

There is also a maneuver type stage. With my test, he took me to a quiet road and went through emergency stops. He made me ride down the road, then signalled me to perform the stop. You have to do that then check your surroundings, then walk your bike to the side of the road. There was also the turn in the road. Self explanatory. I found the test easy. But I've been riding bikes years prior to me taking the test.

Having lessons... You're probably aware that they work in days. Not hour time slots like cars. Question your ability and choose the right amount of days you think you will require to be test standard. I personally had 3 full days, a half day in the morning, followed by my test in the afternoon. So everything was fresh in my head! Lessons and test pretty much happened rain or shine. One day was rain, other day was overcast but damp on the roads. Only had one dry day.

Bike... Get what you want. You're riding it. You're the one in control, it will only go as fast as you twist the throttle.

I got a R6, which was "restricted" :ninja: for 2 years. Sold that and got a new one last year. Its been several years now, so my licence is no longer restricted and have a good 7 years NCB. Just ride safe, use your head and keep within your ability :good:

Hope that answers your questions

All very promising so far, how practical are they for commuting compared to a car? Do you have to warm them up etc like you should a car but no one really does, do you lock your helmet with your bike when at the shops etc. Also how would you carry a shotgun on one? - probably wouldn't ever but thought I'd ask.

All very promising so far, how practical are they for commuting compared to a car? Do you have to warm them up etc like you should a car but no one really does, do you lock your helmet with your bike when at the shops etc. Also how would you carry a shotgun on one? - probably wouldn't ever but thought I'd ask.

I tend to warm my bike up. But in the manual, it says its ok to ride immediately. I still prefer to warm it up and then ride slowly for a bit, warm the tyres up before i get to the national speed limit!

I only use my bike at weekends or a day off if I'm honest. But i have rode to work a few times on it on a nice day. Saved me alot of time filtering through rush hour traffic.

Bikes have their limitations. For example. You cant really do a food shop with one and when its slinging it down with rain. You just want to sit in a car warm and dry! If i was you. Id have a car and a bike. "Horses for courses" as the old saying goes

Edited by Malik

Fellow pw's I am thinking of getting a motorcycle.

Now sit down and wait until the thought goes away. :D

seriously, a dangerous past time if there ever was one. Mainly caused by drivers and inexperienced weekend warriors dressed up lik power rangers riding sports bikes thinking there doing the iom rt race.

No where's my tin hat and popcorn

I have just done my cbt and im afraid the chance to do the test and be restricted for 2 years has ended they stopped it January, now you have to do it on a large bike to ride unrestricted I think a 600 and you have to be over 21, you can do it on a smaller bike but there is no restriction period, now you are stuck on a smaller bike for life if so unless you retake the test on a large one. I did my cbt and am practising on a 125 which is the largest you can ride on a cbt then in a year or so I will try to take my test on the 600.

Edited by smokinggun

Wether or not you specifically warm up your bike etc... each time is much like certain membes on here who give their guns a full clean down each use and those who don't bother a all... then theres somewhere in the middle!

I used to have a new CBR600RR in limited edition colours... thing of beauty. Always warmed up, used soft compound race tyres like racetechs, and if it rained whilst I was out I would spend hours with a set of microfibre cloths making her look prety again...

I now have a hornet just to commute to london centre and back to essex again daily... It gets turned on and ragged to work and then back. Left in the rain, frequently have knocked bits off in traffic madness, dropped it the other day and just bodged things back on.... still a good bike though!

My advise is if you want a bike and are going to regularily commute on it, get a street fighter (Kawasaki Z50, hornet, badit or such like), this will save your wrists in the long run and give you better view. IF if it's a sunny weather Rossi impressonists bike get the newest sports bike yo ucan afford. Sod all this 'old bike' stuff, it'll just go wrong quicker. I had an old ZXR400 and a old 600 both of which costs thousands in new parts constantly.

Your choice. My bike is less than a year old, spends more time being cleaned than it does being ridden. A friend has the same bike but 2 years older. He uses it every single day as his main form of transport rain or shine. Its had a few knocks, been dropped, rarely cleans it either. 35 thousand miles on the clock and still counting. The highest ive ever seen on an R6!

Its whatever you're comfortable with. If you have no experience riding an sports bike. The positioning maybe strange to you for awhile and you get a bit of forearm ache from clutch work after a while. But that will soon go away once youre used to it

Google how to pass your bike test and take as many lessons as you can possibly take ,you will find that most will teach you how to pass your test and also will teach you how to ride defensivly.Make sure that you have good gear( Humps on the back of leathers are for racers to knock a nanno second off their times)Good armour in the right places,and ensure your gear is waterproof ( if it doesn't say goretex, it won't be)... Proper strong bike boots with armour and gloves. Don't buy your all singing all dancing bike now 'cause you will dump it at some stage ,all semi skilled riders do.Avoid riding on A roads and get yourself on some twisty B roads this is where riding skills come into there own and you will learn more and be more at one with your controls when your going up and down the gear box.. Wet roads on a bike are lethel as are tracking on white lines and pot holes.biking makes you read the road ahead much more than in a car.If you do have to leave your bike outside as a previous poster said ,the rain won't hurt it but the salt will. Scot oil 365 everything in winter and keep your chain lubed everytime you take it out...I don't know how tall in the leg you are but stay in your comfort zone on that one. The bike weighs nothing when its moving but tip toeing around on gravel is a recipe for disaster...Just remember watching the fast lads on the circuits is brilliant but they are not up against dry stone walls, lamposts and people who don't see them. Enjoy your biking.. from Auntie.

Commuting on a bike - very sensible.

If you are riding every day in all weathers, your skill level just keeps increasing, as well as your self-preservation instincts to avoid the loony drivers.

ps If you are looking for a cheap commuter to keep your best bike for weekends, pm me, I've got a pristine Kawasaki GT550 available.

I tend to warm my bike up. But in the manual, it says its ok to ride immediately. I still prefer to warm it up and then ride slowly for a bit, warm the tyres up before i get to the national speed limit!

I only use my bike at weekends or a day off if I'm honest. But i have rode to work a few times on it on a nice day. Saved me alot of time filtering through rush hour traffic.

Bikes have their limitations. For example. You cant really do a food shop with one and when its slinging it down with rain. You just want to sit in a car warm and dry! If i was you. Id have a car and a bike. "Horses for courses" as the old saying goes

Riding slow doesn't warm the tyres up !

Are you one of these that swerves across the road thinking you are improving your grip and imagining you are Rossi?

All American forums say get a 250 to start with then others say 600. If I'm doing my test on a 600 then what would be the point in going backwards and getting a 250?.

You'll do your test on a 500. Get the bike that you want, can afford and suits how you want to ride and suits that you're a new rider, regardless of the CC.

I was thinking about a old ish gsxr, as I'm quite short and told these are more comfortable to ride for a sports bike.

I'd say a Suzuki SV650 (very very good first bike) or Yam FZR600R/YZF600R would be a better start than a Gixxer. A gixxer has its power all at the top end and doesn't suit a new rider.

Also do they still do intensive courses?

Most Direct access is intensive.

Would this be worth doing as a novice?

Yes.

Btw I drive a car so no issues with road awareness etc and have done two mock theory tests and passed with flying colors.

Chalk and cheese mate. You'll realise once you start. Car driving helps a little.

Also do they have to be kept inside? How susceptible are they to weather?

It's best too for security and keeping them good. You can cover them up though. Washing frequently, frequent oiling etc are a must.

Good luck and enjoy yourself. Ignore the nay sayers.

Edited by Animal Mother

All American forums say get a 250 to start with then others say 600. If I'm doing my test on a 600 then what would be the point in going backwards and getting a 250?.

You'll do your test on a 500. Get the bike that you want, can afford and suits how you want to ride and suits that you're a new rider, regardless of the CC.

I was thinking about a old ish gsxr, as I'm quite short and told these are more comfortable to ride for a sports bike.

I'd say a Suzuki SV650 (very very good first bike) or Yam FZR600R/YZF600R would be a better start than a Gixxer. A gixxer has its power all at the top end and doesn't suit a new rider.

Also do they still do intensive courses?

Most Direct access is intensive.

Would this be worth doing as a novice?

Yes.

Btw I drive a car so no issues with road awareness etc and have done two mock theory tests and passed with flying colors.

Chalk and cheese mate. You'll realise once you start. Car driving helps a little.

Also do they have to be kept inside? How susceptible are they to weather?

It's best too for security and keeping them good. You can cover them up though. Washing frequently, frequent oiling etc are a must.

Good luck and enjoy yourself. Ignore the nay sayers.

Best response so far and sensible advice

over a million miles on 2 wheels and still learning!!!

Now sit down and wait until the thought goes away. :D

seriously, a dangerous past time if there ever was one. Mainly caused by drivers and inexperienced weekend warriors dressed up lik power rangers riding sports bikes thinking there doing the iom rt race.

No where's my tin hat and popcorn

ever thought of leasing motorcycles :)

Riding slow doesn't warm the tyres up !

Are you one of these that swerves across the road thinking you are improving your grip and imagining you are Rossi?

Yes it does. Ride fast on cold tyres and you'll be on your **** before you know it. Ride slow and pick up the pace gradually until they are up to temp or alternatively use tyre warmers

No, i go on track to ride like a **** and its all about lorenzo.

Edited by Malik

You should be able to get an early Gsxr1000k2 (2002) for about 2.5k but first the insurance will kill you-then the bike will kill whatever is left of you. The graveyards are full of riders who pass their test and think that they can handle a 1000cc sportsbike. :no:

I went from never having sat on a bike before, to having the full a2 license and a very nice cbr600 sports bike in a week and a half :) best fun ever!

Mine is just a toy which is used when the sun is out. Just remember the throttle goes up aswell as down!

Ps I'm 28 :)

As a first (big) bike, you should be looking at something producing around 80-100bhp.

Suzuki SV650's, ER-6's and any other <750 twin are for short girls... don't do it (unless you'll be commuting, in which case they can make a lot of sense).

On the flip side, don't be tempted by a ZX-10, GSX-R 1000 or similar. Yes, they only go as fast as you tell them to - but the temptation is always there and they respond violently to small mistakes.

If you have your heart set on a race replica, the GSX-R 600 is fine (if not a little peaky). More sensible options are upright bikes like the FZ-6 and newer Bandit etc. That way, you're under no pressure to ride faster than your ability.

Edited by Mikaveli