Poor Crops- The Facts

Lg1

What's people's thoughts on very poor growing feild's ?

In my area there seems to be tons of feild's of rape and wheat that have grown so poorly they look threadbare!

That bad it looks like a total waste of diesel to even try and combine it.

I'm sure there's lots more like this in your areas? Seems that wet weather has played total havoc with the germination of the crop, iv been shooting for 6 years but never realy come across this! I've got a feeling these fields are going to produce some realy good shooting as the birds can get at it so easily. I can even see some of these feild's getting left to rot and just get turned in when the farmers done all other work.

Any one else seeing this? Any of you old guns seen this in the past?

What's your experience of it? Is this type of crop a hidden gem?

Cheers

Fill in your profile and people will respond to your post if they know which area you are from, you could be from the planet Mars, and not many of us get to shoot there... :no:

I suspect you don't live anywhere near Tamworth..?? :lol:

Your comments are valid, in my area a good many crops have done badly, I've been shooting pigeons for the best part of 40 years and I can honestly say I've never seen the arable crops looking so sparse in many areas.

Cat.

Very poor crops this year, lots of winter rape failures which were redrilled with spring barley or beans. Some fields look like they have been left fallow after winter crop failure. Alot of the winter wheat is as described in the OP. I have even seen a rape field which looks like it has self seeded after the last harvest and been left to grow on (do not know if that ever happens ??).

Very wet during the drilling period last autumn and cold too. Plus a massive amount of slugs. All contributed to poor establishment.

My boss has close to 3000 acres of mainly heavy clay land, what we didnt manage to get drilled after last harvest was drilled in the spring with barley. The crops are looking fantastic and this summer has been nigh on perfect growing conditions. The boss reckons this years harvest is going to be a good one

Because that particular field is a strong growing field that has a perimeter of rape still at ankle height.

My original post is referring to whole fields of threadbare crop! Like wheat, the birds ant yet hitting them but I was wanting to know as the crop ripens do these fields shoot well? Fact is not a lot of people have seen crops so poor! Easy for the birds to drop in in to. Fields of rape that are almost growing looking like they have been swathed... As they ripen do they shoot well?

Easy! Instead of been a bell, try and assist!

If you don't know then go help another post.

Because that particular field is a strong growing field that has a perimeter of rape still at ankle height.

My original post is referring to whole fields of threadbare crop! Like wheat, the birds ant yet hitting them but I was wanting to know as the crop ripens do these fields shoot well? Fact is not a lot of people have seen crops so poor! Easy for the birds to drop in in to. Fields of rape that are almost growing looking like they have been swathed... As they ripen do they shoot well?

That's pretty unpleasant for one of your first few posts on this forum.

bang out of order! not the way forward on this forum. people like jdog has probably shot more pigeons than you have seen in your lifetime.

a little bit of respect wouldn't go a miss :mad:

Edited by aga man

out of order that considering you have been a member for 24 hours!!!!

Iv been a member a long time but had my email account hacked so had to change it!

Iv seen this time and time again on here, what value did his comment bring to the post?

Nothing! So let's have it right lads. If you have nothing good to help a post why bother?

The post was childish and unhelpful on a very valid post. So take ya little lynch mod and go police other posts. I'm here for help not sarcasm!

Just like the other numptys that go round policing people's spelling. Pathetic, ok the mans shot loads of pigeons! So there for has lots of experience, so read back and see what value he's brought to this post?

Nothing at all.....

Crops are alot better on my perms than last year.

Had a bad start but have dug in and got through nicely now.

Won't be as much straw as usual bit that's down to 'shorteners' not weather

A good few deep ruts left from spring so may be a bumpy ride for the combine which usually results in abit of spilt grain..bring on harvest

we have had a lot of farmers re drilling upto 3 times this year its hard to think its worth doing that much? the crops on my permission are the best ive seen in a lot of years prerfect weather! nice lush loking crops in my part of east anglia! if things keep up then its going to be a bumper harvest!