what do you do if pulled by the police?

I am curious - surely same rules apply for them in that they should have a firearms licence to be able to inspect and seize a gun. What makes them so special that they do not have to abide by the law - surely a firearms officer would have to be called if they were to remove the gun?

Their Warrant card that makes them police constables and infers the power to seize weapons according to the law of the land.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if he has reasonable grounds to suspect that you are carrying one

If it is out of sight and you don't tell him what grounds would he have to search your vehicle ?

Agreed, none whatsoever.

I've carried a gun in my vehicle virtually everyday for the past 50 years and never once had a problem.

When I cycled to school I used to tie it to the crossbar and give it to my form master to look after until home time and a spot of rabbiting on the way home. Several boys did this and no one blinked an eye, oh how times have changed.

I am curious - surely same rules apply for them in that they should have a firearms licence to be able to inspect and seize a gun. What makes them so special that they do not have to abide by the law - surely a firearms officer would have to be called if they were to remove the gun?

Armed police dont have FAC's and they dont need one either to seize firearms if they think an offence has been committed.

British transport Police however are different and require an FAC.The firearms they're issued with are on the certificate along with their own personal guns and they also have an ammunition allowance of several thousand.There are special dispensations for them to be in possession of S5 weapons.

I quote from the Firearms Act................

47Powers of constables to stop and search.

(1)A constable may require any person whom he has reasonable cause to suspect—

(a)of having a firearm, with or without ammunition, with him in a public place; or

(b)to be committing or about to commit, elsewhere than in a public place, an offence relevant for the purposes of this section,

to hand over the firearm or any ammunition for examination by the constable.

(2)It is an offence for a person having a firearm or ammunition with him to fail to hand it over when required to do so by a constable under subsection (1) of this section.

I wouldn't want them near my guns as 90% of coppers Iv met are morons who don't know the laws they are attempting to enforce! Nevermind 'messing' with my 'sniper rifles'!!

Seriously tho, I really wouldn't want anyone touching my guns unless there experienced. Not interested in if its a copper or not. If a copper wants more than to check my ticket or look at a gun bag he gets on blower for a mister to come out.

That was kind of my point about showing them your certificate , if you show them you are a licenced firearms cert holder then you up have explained away the gunslip in your car without it being taken out, if you have no cert with you then they don't know if its illegal or not and are duty bound to find out ?

FEO told me that if i'm ever stopped by the police, and he wants to look in my boot, to kindly mention to the police officer that there is a firearm in the boot before you open it for him. This is to prevent any mild heart attacks on their part :-)

Having had my shotgun cert for 2 years and my fac for just over 6 months I'm extra careful to make sure I do not do anything to get them revoked. I always carry my Certs with me and as of yet never been stopped by the police think its only right if they stop you to inform them you are carrying guns/firearms especially after the incidents over the last 18 months of officers being attacked with guns and grenades and keeps everybody minds at ease that no fowl play is going on, this is just my opinion on the matter

A police officer has every right to demand to see and inspect your gun and seize it if he sees fit !!. Why would you not feel comfortable in permitting him to carry out his lawful duty.

Does a police officer have been trained to inspect or handle a firearm.... That's why I would not feel comfortable to pass to him the whole gun

Does a police officer have been trained to inspect or handle a firearm.... That's why I would not feel comfortable to pass to him the whole gun

lets face it obstruct him and you could well end up cuffed and in the back of his car while he has a look.

A police officer has every right to demand to see and inspect your gun and seize it if he sees fit !!.

Why would you not feel comfortable in permitting him to carry out his lawful duty.

I doubt many bobbies have had any sort of instruction on safe handling of firearms.

What happens if you left your shotgun loaded by accident. He pulls it out of the slip without breaking it first, knocks the trigger, Bang!Jobs ****ed!

I doubt many bobbies have had any sort of instruction on safe handling of firearms.

What happens if you left your shotgun loaded by accident. He pulls it out of the slip without breaking it first, knocks the trigger, Bang!Jobs ******!

Then he is a fool handling it if he does not feel competent to,and you would be a complete imbecile for "leaving it loaded by accident",who to blame would be for the judge to decide, but i think a lot of the blame would be coming your way.

What happens if you left your shotgun loaded by accident. He pulls it out of the slip without breaking it first, knocks the trigger, Bang!Jobs ******!

And what if a Boeing 747 fell out of the sky on you when he pulled you over.

Heaven help us, the what if's get worse and worse.

Are you ******* serious or is this another wind-up?

When stopped, remain polite and point out to the Police Officer that you are a licensed holder of firearms and that you have weapons and ammunition in the vehicle.

I was pulled up in my Pajero a while ago, I asked him what was the reason etc... the answer was checking 4x4’s in the area.

Ok I said, just to let you know my Rifle is on the back seat behind me and my field knifes are in the bag next to them.

He asked for ID so I gave him my FAC he checked that and asked if I knew where the vin plate was…He checked that and said thank you very much and off I went…

Do as they ask and get on your way as it takes the right sting out of your day if you don’t have stuff to hand…

Life is much sweeter if you can be on your way in 5 minuets rather than sitting in the back of a squad car, thinking you are right….

TEH

10 years or so ago, I went to my permission to lamp some bunnies - the girlfriend at the time had said she didn't mind me going alone but when I got there she called to say she'd join me :rolleyes: so, I got my foot down and headed for her house and got myself done for speeding! not knowing any better, I just made a point of locking my car when the officer wanted me to join him in his car (my rifle was in there and out of sight).

Tonight, I went to a permission where there's a short driveway to the gate, flytippers love that driveway and, on arrival, I found a van and two cars lots of people and a police car so I swung back out onto the road and carried on. I stopped in the gateway to another field I've permission to shoot on, just around the corner and sat for a few minutes deciding what to do next. The police car went past and after a while I went back to where I started - the cars and people were still there so I kept going and headed for home.

In the mean time, the police car caught up with me and I fully expected the blue lights to come on - they didn't.

But it set me thinking; what are we supposed to do if the police stop us (for whatever reason) and we have a firearm/shotgun in the vehicle?

Nothing unless he asks you whether you have a firearm with you - he will already know that you are a certificate holder.

J.

Do as they ask and get on your way as it takes the right sting out of your day if you don’t have stuff to hand…

Life is much sweeter if you can be on your way in 5 minuets rather than sitting in the back of a squad car, thinking you are right….

TEH

isn't that the truth, treat them like humans, pass the attitude test and its amazingly simple. Its funny how the same people tend to have repeated problems with the police.

I was pulled up in my Pajero a while ago, I asked him what was the reason etc... the answer was checking 4x4’s in the area.

Ok I said, just to let you know my Rifle is on the back seat behind me and my field knifes are in the bag next to them.

He asked for ID so I gave him my FAC he checked that and asked if I knew where the vin plate was…He checked that and said thank you very much and off I went…

TEH

Spot on,cooperation works both ways :good:

Then he is a fool handling it if he does not feel competent to,and you would be a complete imbecile for "leaving it loaded by accident",who to blame would be for the judge to decide, but i think a lot of the blame would be coming your way.

Of course you'd be stupid to leave it loaded but I was just trying to make the point of an incompetent person handling a firearm incorrectly

Cant believe some of these answers, if a police officer pulls you over and wants to inspect your gun give it to them (unloaded of course) whether he/she is experienced or not what can they do wrong with an unloaded gun. The average police officer when told you have firearms in your vehicle only want to see them and not handle them.

I see no point in being difficult, so id show them to get on my way quicker.

But what is the average officer going to look at when they do inspect your firearm? Short of checking the serial no which unless stolen is irrelevant because it doesnt necesarliy need to be on your certificate to legally carry or use?

Agreed, none whatsoever.

I've carried a gun in my vehicle virtually everyday for the past 50 years and never once had a problem.

When I cycled to school I used to tie it to the crossbar and give it to my form master to look after until home time and a spot of rabbiting on the way home. Several boys did this and no one blinked an eye, oh how times have changed.

I would just love to see this happen now.i should think armed response unit, school shut for a week,kids took into care.at the very least.

I would just love to see this happen now.i should think armed response unit, school shut for a week,kids took into care.at the very least.

Ha! My 8year old grandson had a fancy dress day at school, where they had to go dressed as a 'figure from history'. He decided to go as Al Capone, so my son-in-law made him a cardboard copy of Capone's Thompson sub-machine-gun, with the circular magazine. The school wouldn't allow it on the premises... I wonder if all references to weapons are now deleted from history lessons...