OverUnder or SemiAuto for Sporting Clays?

nsi

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I get?

• OverUnder
    • SemiAuto
    • One of each
    • Doesn't matter / Go with your personal preference

Hello, I'm looking for some shotgun buying advice.

I've been shooting sporting clays for about a year now, once or twice a month, borrowing some of my friends' guns (Browning 525 and a Browning 725 both OU). I'd like to get my own shotgun now (license all sorted) and I'm looking about the £1k mark. I'm personally not someone who is too concerned about the grade of wood or engraving, and I actually like how some of the synthetic stock guns look. (Synergy for example, but that's over my budget.) So I'd want to get either a synthetic stock, or one of the lower grade woods.

But my main first decision is whether to get a traditional OU like a Browning 525, or a 2+1 semi auto like Browning Maxus.

Reasons for getting an OU:

- Traditional

- What most other people use

- No problem shooting it anywhere

Reasons for getting a semi auto:

- Allegedly less recoil

- Less weight (both good things for when my wife comes shooting with me)

- Available with synthetic stock which I personally like the look of (appreciate this is a matter of taste!)

So if we please leave aside the issue of wood vs. synthetic, because that's a personal preference and therefore subjective, and instead concentrate on the practicalities, why should I go for semi auto or overunder?

Are there any restrictions on using semi automatic guns? (i.e. do some clay shoots ban them?) Are they easier/harder to shoot with? Are there other considerations I've not thought of? I've only used OU guns to date and not experienced shooting a semi automatic.

Thanks for your comments.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a go with a semi before you make a decision, I went with an u/o for my 1st gun because I prefer the look of them and they just feel more 'right' to me, plus I like that they are very obviously safe when broken, unlike a semi where you have to spot the flag.

If you try a semi, the noise can be off-putting at first. They make a clattering sound, which you will cease to notice after a few shots.

I would go with whichever suits you best. Both have their fans, with over and under being the most popular. From memory, the only Sporting shooter to have world success, with a semi auto, was the great Duncan Lawton who won it twice with a Remington 1100 - the best handling semi in my opinion.

As above;have a go and then decide.

I like both;the only thing I have noticed is that when shooting my autos at clays(on the rare occassions I shoot clays)is that I'm aware of the action cycling,something I'm not aware of when shooting live quarry with it.Strange!

Unless wifey is there only to carry the gun or is the same build as you forget the gun working for you both, there is a reason why 90%+ use Over unders and not semis £1k will get you a tidy 525 or MK38 ( miroku very similar to the 525 which is made by miroku in Japan along with most other browning OU) it's all about how the gun fits you...

semi autos are frowned upon around here, they never put there empties in the bins just leave them on the ground, not enough people use saftey plugs in the breech to let others see they are empty, you wouldnt want to use one if you are shooting trap eg. DTL ABT, cases fly out on the floor and hit the next person in the line plus the saftey fact of having to unload the 2nd shot if you dont fire it, some people might forget and thats if the club allows you to use a semi for those disciplines! another thing you will not be allowed on many game shoots with one!

simple option, clay shooting and game shoots o/u or s/s and if you really want a semi then use it for wildfowling!

if i only had 1 gun it would be a semi auto.

it makes shooting trap games much more fun firing the empties over whoever is next to you as well.

get whichever you feel is right for you, semi auto's vary in dimensions and weights the same as o/u shotguns

so get to a dealer and handle a few and see what feels right to you.

most semi's can be shimmed and come with a kit so can normally be fitted to you fairly easily.

if i only had 1 gun it would be a semi auto.

it makes shooting trap games much more fun firing the empties over whoever is next to you as well.

get whichever you feel is right for you, semi auto's vary in dimensions and weights the same as o/u shotguns

so get to a dealer and handle a few and see what feels right to you.

most semi's can be shimmed and come with a kit so can normally be fitted to you fairly easily.

i have got an fac semi auto benelli m2 after having over and under for the last ten years.in my opinion they are great and if you can hit the person with the empties on the next peg that should count as 2 for 1 shot if you ask me :lol: they are messy

thats why alot of DTL clubs do not like people like you using them!

all this talk about O/U feeling easier and right.... thats subjective, if you have a semi that had the same fitting dimensions that would also "feel" right.

Give the man some factual reasons, like which has been said already that some grounds dont allow the use of semis.

I shoot a semi, I also shoot a O/U, they both fit me so in turn they both "feel" easy, right and I shoot no differently with one or the other.

The semi is my go to gun, 9 of 10 times that will go with me.

but then... i dont go on shoots with snobby yar yars and avoid clay grounds who frown upon semis.

Edited by thepasty

all this talk about O/U feeling easier and right.... thats subjective, if you have a semi that had the same fitting dimensions that would also "feel" right.

Give the man some factual reasons, like which has been said already that some grounds dont allow the use of semis.

I shoot a semi, I also shoot a O/U, they both fit me so in turn they both "feel" easy, right and I shoot no differently with one or the other.

The semi is my go to gun, 9 of 10 times that will go with me.

but then... i dont go on shoots with snobby yar yars and avoid clay grounds who frown upon semis.

^this^

I also have both, but since i bought the semi auto my o/u hasnt been used once.

The only reason im keeping it is for game season.

All down to personal preference i think.

Hi

I also would say a semi is better suited to a beginner as , most can be shimmed to alter cast and drop which is always handy .

(I am right handed , but left master eye so now shoot left handed.)

Also , if you dont mount them right an auto is a lot less painful in your shoulder /cheekbone.

If you get a recoil operated auto like a Benilli , there isnt very much cleaning compared to a gas auto which gets very dirty around the piston area.

All the clubs round Coventry allow semis, but you can tell there is a love /hate relationship with them , regarding peoples view- if that bothers you.

I just make sure , i clear up emptys , if safe to do so , and get into to a habit of checking breech is locked open and empty before leaving stand .

I have a Benelli Supersport , which is synthetic stock and its my favourate gun and very pointable compared with my xtrema 2 .

But some autos are not very nice to mount and feel really long , so , i would suggest trying a few diffrent makes out before committing.

But a grand will get you any decent S/H benilli/beretta/remington auto which if looked after will hold its value .

Regards

Jonny.

Edited by jonny705

Iv a maxus carbon fibre and love it it soft on the shoulder even with 63g fiocchi 0 3 and half in mag fires 28 grams faultless I've had a couple of jams but put that down to being new but never had a problem since.

Personally I prefer o/u for clays had a grd 5 miroku mk38 trap sporterised and loved it but it was too nice for pigeon shooting and beaters days and it was bleeding heavy so went for a semi which is ok as our beaters days don't mind it as long as you use 2 carts to be fair also down to what fits you but you do have flexibility to adjust it to yourself with a semi auto

Rgds scot

Hi

I also would say a semi is better suited to a beginner as , most can be shimmed to alter cast and drop which is always handy .

(I am right handed , but left master eye so now shoot left handed.)

Also , if you dont mount them right an auto is a lot more painful in your shoulder /cheekbone.

I don't think shims are any better for a beginner and a semi is more faffy and cart fussy than an OU, just buy a well fitting gun and learn to shoot it!

Interested in how a mis mounted semi is more painful than a mis mounted OU.

As for 90% using OU look at any completion line or squad and count the number of semis you see?

Edited by HDAV

Sorry to all, and thanks for HDAV for pointing out , was ment to say auto is a lot less painfull if you mount it wrong.

I have took my nephew clay shooting when he was young , and with 24 gram carts, there is harldly any recoil in auto.

I have all types of shotguns and love them all , so the best advise i think , is to go down a club you know, and ask if people will let you shoot a few rounds with their gun.

You can then try and have a go with some main types - heavy ,light guns ,longer shorter barrels etc

Also try some of the main make autos, some feel really awful .

Every one has their preferance, i like lighter guns, yet most of my friends have heavy ones and find mine too 'jittery'.

You need to discern after firing a few , what general type you prefer and as HDAV says buy one that feel right and use /learn to shoot it.

ATB

Jonny.

what do you want to shoot if you are lucky enough to have unlimited pigeon shooting then a semi is ok,if you want to be serious at clays and do all the diciplines then o/u for one thing there is the choke of the gun you are limited with a single choke,then there is the mess and you are the one who will have to be searching around for the empty shells,on DTL you will annoy the people on the next stand if they get your spent shells hitting them why should you spoil their day,and a little note to those who think it is fun to do that with that attitude I would not issue them with a sgc in the first place.semi auto's have their place but its not really in serious clay shooting another thing is in the winter and we have lots of this it can be a pain getting the second cartridge in as your fingers are very cold you can wear gloves but then I found the end of the finger got caught in the clip.i shoot with people who own semi's but they use them for pigeon or wildfowling and only rarely on clays.if you go to a few of the big high profile shoots you will see 19 out of 20 are o/u there is a reason for this and believe me you are not going to be the first one to win the world championship with a semi,buy whatever you are happy with and enjoy your shooting I have owned three semi's over the years I have one in my cabinet that has not fired a shot for nearly two years because of the drawbacks that I personally find with them at clay grounds.