Northern Lights

rimfire4969

I know this is a strange one even for PW.

My wife has a big birthday this year (40) and has always wanted to see the Northern Lights and try some Whale watching. Iceland seems like the place to go any other throughts or ideas where we can do these things. A 4 day break in Iceland including flights and breakfast, a northern lights trip and a boat ride to maybe see some whales i can get for about £1000.

We have dolphins and Basking Sharks down here so we have seen them, we want some Whales. I don't mind where we go as long as there is a good chance of seeing the Northern Lights. I can't imagine going to norfolk for 4 days my chances are very good.

How often do you see the lights in Donelgal or North Scotland? If i was to come on a 4 day break what are the chances.

I would have thought that the further north you go, the better your chance.

I would say your chances in Donegal are slim.

Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Canada. September through to April.

I just googled Northern Lights Holidays and a whole range of companies and useful information came up.

Edited by Big Al

Due to my wife's navigational skills,

we took a wrong turn off the M4 and very nearly saw Wales,

After the weather today I can understand you wanting to get away somewhere warm :lol:

Nothing wrong with this weather we need the rain to keep the dust down and to remind holiday makers that Cornwall is still part of England :good:

How often do you see the lights in Donelgal or North Scotland? If i was to come on a 4 day break what are the chances.

To be honest it Would be a hit and miss over here' i think last year was the best time to see them' Something to do with the sun.

I reckon iceland or Norway would be your best bet to see both The lights and Whales and you can report back to us how the Goose breeding season has faired.

I lived in Peterhead for nearly 3 years I saw them ONCE

KW

Around either Equinox is normally a good time. This year should be pretty good as we are approaching the peak of the solar cycle. Check out www.spaceweather.com for up to the minute details about sun activity.

easyJet is doing flights from Luton, Manchester and Edinburgh to Keflavik which is a few miles from Reykjavik, don't think BA go there and your other option is Iceland Air. I flew my first KEF last month and hoped to see Iceland, sadly we entered cloud at 800ft leaving the UK and popped out of cloud at KEF at about 800ft. From what I saw it looks an interesting country and were all set to book a 4 day break there a few weeks later as flights were £20 each until we remembered we haven't a passport for my 6 month old daughter.....

Edited by Laird Lugton

I know this is a strange one even for PW.

My wife has a big birthday this year (40) and has always wanted to see the Northern Lights and try some Whale watching. Iceland seems like the place to go any other throughts or ideas where we can do these things. A 4 day break in Iceland including flights and breakfast, a northern lights trip and a boat ride to maybe see some whales i can get for about £1000.

rimfire you can come to Orkney & Shetland to see the Northern Lights but it can be a little hit or miss , I often stand at my back door with a cuppa & admire the lights but you have to remember they don't always come at very sociable hours .

Also Killer whales & Dolphins can be see here to but that is when they want to show which is just like the northern lights .

ps But rimfire be warned ! a lady friend of mine down in Bucks paid big money for a northern lights cruise above the arctic circle & do you know what ? they did not see even see em ! & she got no refund !.

When I told her I see them from my back door with a cuppa from Orkney I think her nose was a little out of joint ! , a bit like geese on a flight some times they do & some times they don't .

Wishing you & your wife the very very very best of luck . From Pole Star in the far north !

Edited by Pole Star

Sorry to state the bleedin' obvious but it needs to be a winter trip. I used to go to Norway on ops and excercises both winter and summer. In the winter it barely gets light but in the summer it never gets dark.

I've seen them several times in Norway but, as others have said, it's totally random although there's a lot of sites on the web that give predictions on activity.

I was amazed one night about 9.30pm back in the 80's. I came out of the door to my flat in St Ives, Cambs and saw the Northern lights burst up from the horizon in a spectacular display. It was reported on the local news the following day so I new it was nothing to do with my bacon and mushroom sandwich.

• 3 weeks later...

To those fans of Aurora Borealis if you can get a link into the Saturday Scotsman news paper for 29 Dec 2012 there is truly awesome photograph of the lights taken from above the International Space Station looking down on the Earth , a must if you are a fan .

Sorry I cant show the link but am sure its there some where .

ATB Pole Star