Barbour wax coats

The Harkila stuff is 300-500 pounds

Only if you pay rrp - the most expensive Harkila I have was about £150

I wore a Barbour jacket and legings the first year I went so Scotland hill stalking, it was freezing and i still must have lost a stone in sweat.

But as DH says, it's about freedom of choice.

I toyed with the idea of getting a Belstaff a while ago, until Mrs D pointed out I would look like a Top gear presenter :lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could get another Solway jacket new, and for a good price, I would def have another.

I still got one I bought 25 years ago still keeps the rain and wet out.

As has been said there are more comfortable and newer materials now available but I never got wet whilst wearing it.

Used it pigeon shooting, ferreting, beating, pheasant shooting, duck shooting, fishing and as a day coat.

Sent it back once to Barbour for a patch up new zip lining etc great service and it came back like new!!

It has now sadly seen better days but has been a real 'friend'

One piece of advice I got when buying mine was make sure the arms are long enough cos when it gets its 'worn in creases' they 'shrink back' and expose your wrists!!

I went back using my 20 odd year old Barbour Longshoreman smock on the coast for fowling after trying modern breathable type fabric coats. I feel it stands up to the mud better.

You are right about the general colouration of most Barbour waxed garments though.

I can`t see why anyone would want to revert to 18th century technology whereby one takes an essentially non waterproof material, cotton, and then smears it with grease to block the pores to render it water resistant, but in so doing destroys the breathability of the cotton making the garment stiff, prone to fraying at friction points, having severe leakage at stitch points, and which generates internal condensation which can be measured in pints.

If that was`nt bad enough, you then manufacture the garment in a dark shade of brown which hardly ever occurs in the outdoor world, so much so, that the coat will stand out like a sore thumb in pretty much any environmnent.

Top the whole thing off with an inneffectual hood which leaves most of the face exposed and blows off in a strong wind and there you have it - the Barbour wax jacket. A country classic of poor design and outrageous overpricing.

I can`t see why anyone would want to revert to 18th century technology whereby one takes an essentially non waterproof material, cotton, and then smears it with grease to block the pores to render it water resistant, but in so doing destroys the breathability of the cotton making the garment stiff, prone to fraying at friction points, having severe leakage at stitch points, and which generates internal condensation which can be measured in pints.

If that was`nt bad enough, you then manufacture the garment in a dark shade of brown which hardly ever occurs in the outdoor world, so much so, that the coat will stand out like a sore thumb in pretty much any environmnent.

Top the whole thing off with an inneffectual hood which leaves most of the face exposed and blows off in a strong wind and there you have it - the Barbour wax jacket. A country classic of poor design and outrageous overpricing.

Good post, but for some reason it reminds me that I'm also a Landrover owner!

Don't care what anyone else says i love my Barbour,my first was a Northumbria bought in the Falklands in the 80's and worn to death,loved it until i became to big(fat) for it, i still slipped it on to walk the dog just couldn't zip it up,about 4 years ago i suddenly realised it had disappeared and my wife finally admitted it had gone to Barbour heaven,she said it didn't fit me and it stank(she did have a valid point) and there were holes everywhere so i let it go.

Then a while later a Barbour trooper in sandstone came into my life,oh how happy we are, we take every opportunity to be together,it is nice and light with a collar that wraps around my neck,big expandable pockets for carts, string,dog bags,whistles,knife,torches and even a couple of chokes in one of the pockets.Who cares if it changes shades in the warm weather it gives it character,and if you are hot it has a great heat ventilation system,a zip,up is warm down is cool,undone is cooler.

There are better and more efficient and probably cheaper,but oh how i love my Barbour. :good:

Call me a tight bottom, but for beating in the heavy-duty waxproofs from the market bought for about £20 will not reduce me to a blubbering buffoon when it gets ripped going through thick brambles etc, unlike the ssuper high-performance all singing modern-day over priced garments you see beaters turning up in some days.

But then I suppose it depends on what type of shoot your on, round here we dont consider walking across a field as beating,

Don't care what anyone else says i love my Barbour,my first was a Northumbria bought in the Falklands in the 80's and worn to death,loved it until i became to big(fat) for it, i still slipped it on to walk the dog just couldn't zip it up,about 4 years ago i suddenly realised it had disappeared and my wife finally admitted it had gone to Barbour heaven,she said it didn't fit me and it stank(she did have a valid point) and there were holes everywhere so i let it go.

Then a while later a Barbour trooper in sandstone came into my life,oh how happy we are, we take every opportunity to be together,it is nice and light with a collar that wraps around my neck,big expandable pockets for carts, string,dog bags,whistles,knife,torches and even a couple of chokes in one of the pockets.Who cares if it changes shades in the warm weather it gives it character,and if you are hot it has a great heat ventilation system,a zip,up is warm down is cool,undone is cooler.

There are better and more efficient and probably cheaper,but oh how i love my Barbour. :good:

Well said Welsh 1,

Up until last year I was wearing my late Dads Barbour also a Northumbria ,he passed away some 20years ago now and he'd worn it since buying at a game fair in the mid 80s,reason for buying a new Barbour is because it had turned into 'triggers broom' 4 new pockets 2 zips 9 sleeves 30 re-waxes 2 new liners!.and a I think the clincher was a note in the pocket after the last time it came back from Barbour saying that sadly the jacket was no longer a vaiable repair,and suggesting its about time it was gracefully retired!.

I still have the coat and is still worn in the garden.

After all the comments I have decided to go for the longer Northumbria in olive local shop has all the sizes that should fit me. Is it worth getting the linner and hood at the same time ?

Yes,because if you get the wax flat cap the rain simply runs down the back of your neck! Enjoy!

After all the comments I have decided to go for the longer Northumbria in olive local shop has all the sizes that should fit me. Is it worth getting the linner and hood at the same time ?

I have the hood but find the poppers are not strong enough and it comes off easily so I wear a hat.

I did get a liner but took it back as you had to try and thread your arm through the liner then the jacket as the liner did not sit very well in the jacket. Like the zips were not enough to hold it in place. It might have been better once worn in. I just wear a Barbour gilet underneath.

Have a look at the matching olive leggings while your there. Only about £40 but well worth it.

I have the hood but find the poppers are not strong enough and it comes off easily so I wear a hat.

I did get a liner but took it back as you had to try and thread your arm through the liner then the jacket as the liner did not sit very well in the jacket. Like the zips were not enough to hold it in place. It might have been better once worn in. I just wear a Barbour gilet underneath.

Have a look at the matching olive leggings while your there. Only about £40 but well worth it.

Ok thanks will do

Best coat ever, a le Cham kotcors coat - bought 12yrs ago. Still waterproof and despite shooting/beating up to 5 days a week in excellent condition. Only blemish a small pluck to outer after going b...s over t..s and falling on a barbed wire fence. Also matching gaiters and they too still look good even after 6/7 yrs of use. Got bored with them and bought a Musto jacket - doesn't feel anywhere as good.

Went out in my seeland keeper last week and sweated like a pig went out in my beaufort today and sweated like a pig.

I think there is a lot of waffle spoken about persperation being wicked away.

If its raining and humid you will sweat in anything. For rough work Barbour. For lighter stuff Musto etc. I Just returned a Musto as it was leaking.

They said it had thorn damage. It had not been near any thorns but they did give me another one.

Edited by samboy