Got a live round stuck in my rifle

johnny

i had this when i first started reloading. took it to the gunshop, he got the bolt open by tapping it with a mallet. once the bolts open theres nothing to strike the bullet. so he put my cleaning rod down and just tapped it out, doesnt need wacking or owt just a small tap.

its not ideal. its not safe. im in no way advocating it as a novice. if in doubt take it to the gunshop.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously can't believe some of the helpful hints in this thread.

How you can advocate poking something down the barrel of a weapon with a live round in the breach beggars belief!

Because when the round wont move you have no other option. As i already mentioned,i've done this once with my own rifle,but also several times with other peoples. Your only other option is to let a gunsmith do the job,but that will involve driving with a live round up the chuff and he'll likely do exactly the same anyhow.

i had this when i first started reloading. took it to the gunshop, he got the bolt open by tapping it with a mallet. once the bolts open theres nothing to strike the bullet. so he put my cleaning rod down and just tapped it out, doesnt need wacking or owt just a small tap.

its not ideal. its not safe. im in no way advocating it as a novice. if in doubt take it to the gunshop.

this is the right answer, you have to get the bolt open first then tap it out, i've had it once and its not nice but there is no way I'd tap it back without the bolt removed from the rifle.

Let me say DO NOT TRAVEL WITH A GUN IN THIS CONDITION. I have seen a loaded shotgun that failed to fire brought into a gunsmith, the guys family were also in the car. The gunsmith bumped the stock down on the ground and fired the round safely. The guy went a funny grey colour thinking of were that gun was pointed on the way to his shop

The bashing of the bolt aint a lot safer as if the round fires still in the chamber the bolt will fly out the back of the action with great force. I should want more than an internet post to go off before advising for sure.

Phone a gunsmith and explain it more fully, with the gun left in a managed situation while you make the call

Edited by kent

The round cannot fire as the bolt is not cocked! but still do not tap it out from the muzzle end! its going to put alot of stress through the bullet and could get it stuck even more! just use the hammer and wood idea!

just goes to show that you need to keep the locking lugs and chamber clean from grit and ****!

c

Take the bolt out....you said it will lift. Get a nice brass rod 5mm D and drift it out by having the rod down and you lift the gun and drop it on the rod in the barrel....no hammers are needed just a brass rod.

You will feel the bullet backing in the case first and then it should come out. IT WON'T GO BANG!

Don't travel with it in this condition....welcome to firearms ownership, with it comes responsibilities, the condition and functioning of your firearm is your responsibility and simply passing the problem on is not fair on others! This exercise is not beyond you!

After your done inspect your chamber for a crud ring or a rust ring in the throat.

Take care.

Underdog.

ooodles of wd up the spout and stop tapping the bolt like a girl :lol:

Joking aside, this is probably one of the best suggestions so far. May seem brutal to hit the bolt handle hard but what other choice do you have!?

It may help to remove the trigger assembly, strip the bolt (if you can with it in), remove magazine and bolt latch too if it has them. Then, rifle pointing somewhere safe just go for it - hit the bolt handle as close to the bolt as possible to the bolt and straight back, hit it hard and as many times as it needs. If something breaks, it breaks - you really don't have much choice.

Giving it a beating like that, I'd also remove the scope - while you're at it, are the bases screwed to the receiver? Take the screws out, just in case one has gone too far in.

Obviously rubber or plastic hammer or even a thick plastic rod (1/2" ish) used as a chisel (drift) between hammer and bolt.

Am I the only one wincing whilst reading this thread ?? :no:

Nope.... .22-250 isn't a round to play with ( no round is for that matter ) lots of powder and pressure behind that puppy.

Interesting that no one has said lay the rifle down with the muzzle pointed into a solid back stop and call your local gunsmith...

At what point did the bolt become stuck? I'm pretty sure on those Tikka's you can engage the bolts safety until its fully home ( I may be wrong)

I would go down the laying the rifle on the ground pointed to a good backstop and tapping the bolt with a dead blow hammer route if your going to play with it at all...

I certainly wouldn't want to ate the rifle anywhere without first consulting a gunsmith on the phone

Thanks for all the help, I've got the bolt out now after smacking it with a rubber mallet but the round is still stuck, my cleaning rod is not stiff enough so have ordered a lenght of brass. Feel much happier now the bolt is out.

For those that asked it was a home load round I was given to try

Cheers John

Thanks for all the help, I've got the bolt out now after smacking it with a rubber mallet but the round is still stuck, my cleaning rod is not stiff enough so have ordered a lenght of brass. Feel much happier now the bolt is out.

For those that asked it was a home load round I was given to try

Cheers John

as you now know it's not a good idea to use reloads from another gun in your's,who's to say it was'nt an over load in your gun.anyway don't know if this will help but i read somewhere that if you fill a used case with water and freeze it then drop it into your action so it and the stuck case are head to head and leave for a few second's the cold transfers to the stuck case and may help disslodge the stuck one with a good knock on the butt with the gun pointing up.may work never done it but it wont cost anything to try good luck

you don't need a ridged rod.

put a few turns or tape on the rod, up near the handle to prevent crown damage.

then put the rod down the barrel. with barrel pointing up, lift the rod 6" and let go, keep doing and it will knock the round out. slow but sure. no need to force it, push it or whack it.

failing that. go to b&Q and buy a wooden dowel. drop into barrel. cut the dowel off so 1" is sticking out of barrel. then hit with rubber mallet. sort sharp tap.

some very nervous people out there

how else do you get a round out of the chamber if it is stuck in than tapping it out with a rod?! (BOLT OUT OBVIOUSLY!!)

happened a few times on a rifle I have that had a rough chamber and neck sized ammo

you shouldn't push the bullet into the case unless it is either welded in or your neck tension is ****!

no more dangerous than seating a bullet in the press!

and as for trying someone else homeloads without working up!??!?! two ***** in that discussion

won't always fit in your chamber as you found out the hard way

could possibly be massively over pressure in your rifle

What do people think will happen if the round does go off (which it won't)? With no bolt in the gun the pressure wouldn't build that much. It would most likely launch the case out of the rear of the gun rather than blow anything up. When you consider that the cartridge/chamber seal will be broken almost instantly when the case starts to go back the powder will have no pressure to work properly so it's not going to fire out like a bullet. I wouldn't want to catch it in my teeth but at the same time it's not going to fly hundreds of yards and kill someone. Do it in a controlled environment and it will be fine.

If the rod did fly out it would hit the end of the hammer and miss all of the person holding it unless you're staring down the barrel whist tapping it. And how silly would that be?!

Note to self - don't borrow other peoples home loads unless you've confirmed that they are of a low charge, have been full length sized and have had the bullet seated to spec rather than the length of their chamber.

Thanks for all the help rifles all back together and shooting straight again. Seems there's still lots to learn about rifles and ammo. The bullets are the same spec as the shop brought ones I use so don't really see why there should be a problem unless the cases have swelled just happened to be the first one out of the box and I havnt tried anymore