Got a live round stuck in my rifle

johnny

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home loads or factory? How far has the bolt got? All the way forward and with the handle starting to go down or not closed at all?

If it's partly closed a few gentle taps to the bolt handle with a small dead blow hammer can get them to lift (you're aiming to knock it open so hit it upwards). If you don't have one a normal hammer with a block of wood between it and the bolt will stop you from damaging the gun. If it's just pushed into the chamber with no engagement of the bolt lugs I'd try tapping it out with a cleaning rod

Edited by njc110381

****** tapping it from the sharp end. Surely the ideal is gun rest, muzzle pointing in a safe direction, gently tap bolt handle up and back with mallet or hammer / block of wood.

+1

Just thinking about how you would do a risk assesment on that one, OK it might be safe sometimes but just think of the times it wont be. A lost hand could be the least of the injury add to that a cleaning rod stuck up the barrel.

No i fancy the hitting the bolt back with a hammer and wood option thanks :good:

Start by videoing it to make sure you get £250 compensation from you been framed :lol::lol::good:

Then gently tap the bolt with a rubber mallet, once the bolt is fully open tap a cleaning rod through the barrel, do not have any thing on the end if the bullet is pushed in to the case put some thin oil down the barrel leave for a few minuets to soak in to the powder you then can give it a better tap to dislodge the bullet as mentioned earlier wear protective goggles just in case.

Deershooter

If it will come out by tapping the bolt then great, but if the extractor claw doesn't grip the case hard enough you've got little choice but to tap it out. If you're that worried about it going off you could take the bolt apart and remove the firing pin. In fact if I had a live one stuck up the spout that's probably the first thing I would do.

Hitting the bullet end of a cartridge isn't going to make it go off. Primers are very slightly recessed into the pocket for just that reason. If at all unsure though I suppose the gunsmith route is best, but I wouldn't be surprised if he just taps it out with a rod!

I would make sure either you full length resize next loading or scrap your brass.

Again a mention of using "SAND" in gun rests, it may not have been an issue here but cack on the cases or in the chamber could cause this. But more likely cases over large :|