Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, Bare with me,though i might aswell tell you lads about my very own "macnab" i had. Early hours well before sun up, too a quite stretch of canal not far from home, after the pike. Not been after these crocs for 4-5 years but after seeing some pretty lures at the CLA game fair (probably catch more fishermen than fish) i got the urge to get out again. After half an hour of spinning, and catching more weed/leaves/reeds than owt else, i was reminded why it had been a few years since i had been out with the rod.BUT, next cast, BANG, line pulled, rod bent, heart racing! Fish was on the run, surely a double by the way the rod bent, but my boyish giddyness had got the better of me, and i pulled a nice jack into the landing net! Now for the fowling, big midday tide, but weather too still to really stir the duck up, after a short walk from the seawall to my chosen spot, i bailed out the hide, set up the deeks and scanned the far tideline with my binocs. Always so much to see on the tide, waders-knot,plover, dunlin, bar tailed godwits and curlew whizz up and down. The duck, from the buzzing teal, whistling wigeon and gracefull pintail (which always seem to stay just out of range) moved every now and then, but the water was too still to really stir them up. Once tide made, my decoys looked well, if i say so my self, and two teal must have though so as they made a bee line for them. Gun up,two shots,both down! always good to score on the first shot! with the report of the gun, the tide "lifted" with all manner of wildfowl, and the dog was soon back with both duck (huge dog, easily retrieves two teal at once). Next in was two wigeon, and i brought down a hen with my second barrel. tide soon ebbed with the still weather, and i headed home a happy fowler, looking foward to a quick shine with the lamp and .22, putting a dozen bunnys in the bag. So i know its no salmon, grouse and red stag, but a pike ,wigeon, teal and a rabbit, all in the same day, was probably just as enjoyable!

I had a mare on the marsh last week. I'll probably get some stick for admitting this but hey ho...

I managed to get cut off by the tide!

I've shot this particular spot on a 30.6ft tide without worry before, last Saturday there was a 30.9ft. Looking back I made every classic mistake in the book. I forgot my watch, and as my phone was in my bag I never checked the time, and just kept telling myself 'it'll turn in a minute'. I also noticed a lot of water on the marsh, but put it down to rain during the night rather than the previous tide.

When I checked my phone and realised the tide still had 40mins to run and I knew I was in a spot of bother. Once the water came over the fret edge, I couldn't see the gutters and fell into one trying to scramble off. I'd ditched all my gear at this point bar my gun, so I swam to a bunch of reeds that where sticking out the water as I knew they would be grass under foot there.

Once I got there I just had to stand it out, It came over my waist and It was feking cold! After 90mins it had dropped off again, enough to safely make my way off the marsh. Here was my view...

F1071FEB-46FE-47E8-8770-044F54972494-589

Ironically, the wigeon where humping into my decoys the whole time! I'm sort of glad I went through the ordeal really, I won't risk it again!!

Edited by Wildfowler12

glad it wasnt me stuck out there i hate the water.. i know why wildfowl if i hate water :)

ive decided though.. wildfowlers are crazy anyway... not just sitting in the mud in the cold and often dark.. its getting up at 1.30am to do it! so adios guys im off soon :good:

Scary stuff, always remember rescues threaten leases these days. For the un initiated predicted tide height is a guess based on static weather. On the NW coastal marshes a big low pressure in the bay of Biscay a South westerly that switches to a westerly or into your estuary with the turn can put substantial extra water on any incoming tide. With this storm on its way I am wondering were to do the tide this weekend myself smallish "predicted" tides or not it only takes a last minute weather change. Like you say meeting a lot of fresh water is also a danger

I had a mare on the marsh last week. I'll probably get some stick for admitting this but hey ho...

I've shot this particular spot on a 30.6ft tide without worry before, last Saturday there was a 30.9ft. Looking back I made every classic mistake in the book. I forgot my watch, and as my phone was in my bag I never checked the time, and just kept telling myself 'it'll turn in a minute'. I also noticed a lot of water on the marsh, but put it down to rain during the night rather than the previous tide.

When I checked my phone and realised the tide still had 40mins to run and I knew I was in a spot of bother. Once the water came over the fret edge, I couldn't see the gutters and fell into one trying to scramble off. I'd ditched all my gear at this point bar my gun, so I swam to a bunch of reeds that where sticking out the water as I knew they would be grass under foot there.

Once I got there I just had to stand it out, It came over my waist and It was feking cold! After 90mins it had dropped off again, enough to safely make my way off the marsh. Here was my view...

Ironically, the wigeon where humping into my decoys the whole time! I'm sort of glad I went through the ordeal really, I won't risk it again!!

Glad you made it off safe, I always stress the importance of understanding tide times and conditions to associates who I take out down this way...

Went out on Kirton yesterday morning Friday 25th October, got on the marsh at about 05.45 setting out the decoys. Well it started raining hard till about 08.30 and we got quite wet, I felt sorry for ping pong so I made her a poncho out of a black plastic sack and she sat it out till we started to pack away.
As soon as I started packing up the flippin mallard were all over, I think they had been watching me, up until then all I saw were Curlews.

Ah well I enjoyed it anyway.

Regards

Hcc

ps good job no one was about when I was trying to get the decoy bag on my back with my frozen shoulder devil.pngdevil.png

not the best of days for me yesterday, saw hundreds of birds.. none of them came anywhere near.

after the tide had gone out i did spend half an hour wading through marsh, then knee deep mud in a gutter down to the waters edge where there where about 30 canadas and a hundred or so wigeon.. i got as close as i could without spooking them sadly still to far for a shot

only one things that sticks in my mind about yesterday was my mates dog, who was sitting there on a banking like we where.. just thought it was comical so had to grab a quick photo

post-58889-0-37650800-1382864794_thumb.jpg

I've cut it fine before and it'll probably happen again at some point. Not fun :lol: Least you made it off alright!

A good day on the Wash yesterday Mallard flighting all over the place, shot four then decided did'nt want any more Mallard (even waving off four that buzzed the deeks) and would wait for the Widgeon on the tide, needless to say the Widgeon did'nt show. Brilliant morning flight though.DSCN0483.jpgDSCN0482-1.jpg

A good day on the Wash yesterday Mallard flighting all over the place, shot four then decided did'nt want any more Mallard (even waving off four that buzzed the deeks) and would wait for the Widgeon on the tide, needless to say the Widgeon did'nt show. Brilliant morning flight though.DSCN0483.jpgDSCN0482-1.jpg

Is that a Benelli M1?

Had the best flight I've ever witnessed on the solway last week only to have worst gun troubles ever. In total I had 5 miss fires and 6 jams. I did manage to get off 4 shots and one very unlucky pink came down. My mate 10ft beside me had 3 cracking pinks. Shall never borrow a gun again. Haha. All the birds were no more than 45 yards up. Gutted. But the silver lining to it all was the good retreives my little spaniel put in. Over the moon with her performance.

I agree Andy. And I'm currently searching for one. It was a mossberg 935. I also had a jam up yesterday morning but luckily sorted it to get the second shot off and luckily dropped it. That was with my pump. Ridiculas realy how many times it has let me down when it counts. The 935 was twiggys gun which I borrowed as I fancyed getting one. Changed my mind now.

Yes, about ten years old never any jamming till last season, I was going to change it, but think I've fixed it now so will stick with it this season, I fancy a new A5 opperates the same inertia system.

I have one too had it 8 years now but this season I have been dogged by jams etc I now call it the jamelli!. It's time to go back to 2 barrels I think!

Well that was interesting this morning. Very early start to take grandson on his first fowling trip. Not real fowling but Norfolk Broads goosing. Wind and rain made it quite exciting.

He got a few shots but didn't connect. My son got a widgeon so he was happy.

Journey home was delayed due fallen trees but the Reedham ferry was still operating normally.

I am doing the evening flight on the Broads tomorrow Gandalf. I am hopeing all the rain has flooded parts of the marsh on my shoot. Did you have much rain this morning? My rain gauge in N Norfolk shows 3 inches in the last 24 hours , but a friend in Suffolk recons he did not get much rain last night..

Didn't rain all the time but it rained in a horizontal direction when it did. The wind reached a crescendo as we walked back up the track to the truck.

We were straight into it then. Less than two inches on my gauge in North Suffolk too.

Garden buried in small debris from my pond side willow trees. Grandchildren have their uses... :lol:

I could not beleve it but my marshes were quite dry with no water in any of the scrapes. It was the first time we had a walk around this season and there were very few duck about. All I managed was a hen pheasant and a wood pigeon. My friend realy wanted a few hares which he loves to eat and I would usualy expect to see a couple of dozen , but again there was no sign of any.

Hares have had a good year around my pheasant shoot. Numbers increasing year upon year. Shoot rule is if you want a hare shoot a hare - if not then leave them alone.

Ducks inland, farm ponds etc, are in very low numbers. Mallard have not recovered from the disaster of two years ago - the prolonged drought. Mates large moat had nil duck on it when I took the grandchildren there to fish on Saturday.

Mallard, teal and widgeon in good numbers on the Blythe estuary in recent weeks.

Hope to be out again tomorrow evening. Memsahib permitting... :/