AA or RAC Breakdown Service?

bullet boy

AA told us last night my daughters land rover would be picked up between 8am and 10am this morning, its now 11-45am, still waiting. draw your on conclusions.

and here is an update, my daughter hasnt heard from the AA, so she has just rang them, they now tell her it wont be picked up until 5pm. what a fantastic service....... i dont think

Luck of the draw me thinks. I called the AA out and they were with me in 10 mins. I suppose it depends how busy they are.

they must be very busy, the first call went at 3pm yesterday, AA patrol attended at 5.55pm, the guy arranged piggyback to main dealer, will see what 5pm today brings.

I had to call the AA out 7 week ago. Call made at 19:58, someone arrived at 23:20.

they must be very busy, the first call went at 3pm yesterday, AA patrol attended at 5.55pm, the guy arranged piggyback to main dealer, will see what 5pm today brings.

How much was that if you don't mine me asking? Was that for roadside and relay?

I joined green flag this year mate, half the price, so much for customer loyalty, was with rac for about 10 years

I work part time for a local breakdown & recovery firm that carries out work for many of the 'car clubs' /motoring clubs,

by far, one of the worst to deal with is RAC

Their latest advertising campaign where they bring the garage to you, supposedly carrying several thousand tools/parts is all very well,

what they don't tell you is that since they have continuously eroded away at the patrolmans pay and working conditions, such as increased hours, tripled the size of area theyre expected to cover introduced schemes where they pay financial incentives to patrols to get you dropped at a 'repair and go' garage, patrolmen/women are under pressure to sell batteries on commission, theyre now largely unable to operate their own patrol vehicles overnight.

Breakdown jobs then get held in a que and then get released to a contractor who is under pressure to attend within 45mins.

Most breakdown cover that comes as part of your insurance cover tends to be of very limited cover, ie typically entitlement would be Roadside Assistance and 'local recovery' this can be as 'local' as within 10 miles of your home address

Well I have been with RAC for years. Im my student days when my motors would frequently pack up they were fine. Havent used them for a while though.

However, father-in-law WAS with AA. His Lotus broke down whilst away down the country. AA Relay was his cover and what a **** on he had getting him back. Recovery vehicle would only take him so far, unloaded then left to wait for another recovery vehicle to carry on. 3 recovery vehicles & drivers were involved in total....so avoid Relay like the plague!

Rac wouldn't come out to my dad when his van conked out at home. He wasn't covered for the home start thing. He had only been a member for over 30 years! Spoke to the manager and he still said no.

I phoned the aa as I was a aa member and they arrived in 20 mins and sorted the problem.

I am with the rac the only good thing I think is the recovery,the last time I called anyone out was when my daughters truck boiled over he came and lifted the bonnet said the head gasket has gone probably ruined the engine so get rid of it to the scrap dealer.he did not notice the water running down his leg from the radiator.100 pounds for new rad two years ago still going strong.as I said apart from bringing the car home in a breakdown a waste of space.

Been in both, in the AA I had relay cover (be warned that is exactly what it is) a relay. When they eventualy get round to picking you up they transport you and your car to the edge of their area and drop you off, you then have to wait for that area to have a spare truck to take you on to the next area.

Twice I broke down in Cornwall many years ago and got myself home via mates quicker than the time they estimated it would take them to get to me (summer holidays) - - - finished with them and joined the RAC.

Broke down in Ullapool, Scotland some years later, In a merc 608d (23' camper) at 10at night within an hour they had a wagon there and transported the family and I all the way home through the night. to me it's a no brainer.

Aye, my mate had his bike picked up by the AA. They got him to a services about 50 miles away from his home, after several change-overs. Then sent him home in a taxi but left his pride and joy there! The next day he rang to check on his bike to find it had been stolen!

It hadn't, fortunately, it had been collected by the last agent from the services but they hadn't logged it.

When he got it back, a few days later, it had been dropped and had loads of new damage.

RAC, I reckon!

Had modial (on new l/rover), green flag (with bank ac) and RAC cause I'd bought it and when car failed rang all 3 - RAC won the race. Others quoted silly times and were not proffessional in their response speil.

Had modial (on new l/rover), green flag (with bank ac) and RAC cause I'd bought it and when car failed rang all 3 - RAC won the race. Others quoted silly times and were not proffessional in their response speil.