Boat or Kayak

the pelt man

OK those of you who have Kayak's would you say that i would get enough use for inshore fishing out of one or should i go for a boat.

Either way i would be out on my own most of the time, is being in a small boat any safer than on a ocean trident Kayak ?

I live in Hertfordshire so on a trip it would mean trailering a boat or putting a Yak on the roof.

I know having a boat means a greater out lay each year on running costs but are the sit on Yaks a good buy ?

your input please

PELTY

Suppose it all depends on the amount of space you have to kept a boat. I've a kayak, which lives down the side of the house and find it far easier to unload from roof bars, in the usually packed beach car parks around my area.

Also don't think I'd be very good at towing a trailer or especially reversing a trailer.

So IMHO kayak all the way.

I used to have a small tender called a Tabur-yak II.

It was around 8 foot long and would go on a roof rack. Or you could pop it in the back of a van. It took an outboard upto 10hp iirc and fitted it with a Fishfinder and GPS. The beauty of this tender was it is a double skin dory. You can stand up as they are very stable. I bought mine second hand for £80 but they have gone up in price now. I prefered it to a Kayak. Just my opinion though!

• 2 months later...

Depends what you want to do. Exploring shallow water with fly or plug there is little better than a Yak, in a fair current or decent wind give me a proper boat with twin engines any day especially for static fishing. Trailer or roof I don't see much in it if you have a slipway

Yak. Yakking is my main leisure activity, and I've a fair a bit of dinghy experience as well. Easier maintenance, less faff and easier handling, quicker to launch and sort afterwards, more launch sites, more capable launching and handling on the water if conditions are a bit less favourable etc.. I'll say potentially safer as well. If you go in the drink you'll most likely be wearing a drysuit or appropriate clothing and you can climb back on; I've never fallen in. You won't really get on the water for less than £1000 but £1500 and you should be sorted. If you haven't already found it, go to : http://anglersafloat.proboards.com/

Yak. Yakking is my main leisure activity, and I've a fair a bit of dinghy experience as well. Easier maintenance, less faff and easier handling, quicker to launch and sort afterwards, more launch sites, more capable launching and handling on the water if conditions are a bit less favourable etc.. I'll say potentially safer as well. If you go in the drink you'll most likely be wearing a drysuit or appropriate clothing and you can climb back on; I've never fallen in. You won't really get on the water for less than £1000 but £1500 and you should be sorted. If you haven't already found it, go to : http://anglersafloat.proboards.com/

I think a 17ft centre console with twin marnier outboards is a good bit safer on the sea in difficult conditions than a YAK mucker LOL

It all depends though don't it just all boats are a compromise in one way or another

I think a 17ft centre console with twin marnier outboards is a good bit safer on the sea in difficult conditions than a YAK mucker LOL

It all depends though don't it just all boats are a compromise in one way or another

Do you think he'd handle and launch your(?) boat on his own? Beach launch it and land it on his own - in a few breakers? If so, perhaps he should get one. Is a 17' twin engined boat your reasoned recommendation for one man use?

Would you recommend an open canoe? An 8 foot tender? A porta-boat? Any one man boat? Rather be on one of these rather than a kayak in a choppy sea? You've done both (I presume) so you ought to know.

Of course a 17 foot boat is potentially safer than a kayak in a bad sea, but he won't have launched it on his own will he? It's like saying he should get a lifeboat, but he won't be launching one of those either.

Not LOL, just to myself and doubt I'm your mucker.

Edited by yod dropper

Do you think he'd handle and launch your(?) boat on his own? Beach launch it and land it on his own - in a few breakers? If so, perhaps he should get one. Is a 17' twin engined boat your reasoned recommendation for one man use?

Would you recommend an open canoe? An 8 foot tender? A porta-boat? Any one man boat? Rather be on one of these rather than a kayak in a choppy sea? You've done both (I presume) so you ought to know.

Of course a 17 foot boat is potentially safer than a kayak in a bad sea, but he won't have launched it on his own will he? It's like saying he should get a lifeboat, but he won't be launching one of those either.

Not LOL, just to myself and doubt I'm your mucker.

Your taking things too much to heart, what if he gets in a strong rip he cannot handle or coming back the the beach in surf and broaching sideways. There are many parts to this and no correct answer. I have no boat presently I found it all too hard when the kids came along, I was at it a good while though. Boats are a compromise, to ask boat or Yak means in all fairness neither do more research but how does that help the OP. I could call you worse than mucker, its just aimed at emphasising my post being light harted in nature and isn't meant to be offensive.

Your taking things too much to heart, what if he gets in a strong rip he cannot handle or coming back the the beach in surf and broaching sideways. There are many parts to this and no correct answer. I have no boat presently I found it all too hard when the kids came along, I was at it a good while though. Boats are a compromise, to ask boat or Yak means in all fairness neither do more research but how does that help the OP. I could call you worse than mucker, its just aimed at emphasising my post being light harted in nature and isn't meant to be offensive.

Forums are notorious for unintentional misunderstandings, they're a poor way of communicating, I reckon we both have a point, meanwhile I'm still wrestling with this bloody showerhead......

I use one of these for wildfowling. Can get all your gear, decoys, bag, gun etc in front position and paddle from the back. Only weighs 9kg and deflated fits in a big rucksack. Only ever used it in estuaries, not open sea. Might be vulnerable to hooks if you're fishing from it.

http://www.kayaks-paddles-asia.com/inflatable-kayaks/gumotex-inflatables/twist-2/#.UritRPRdW8o

Hard to come by now but I used to have an IP14...fantastic fishing boat..very stable and able to handle a good amount of weather for its size.

I used to launch and recover single handed and work 400 hook long lines from it in the Humber Estuary.
Safer than a Kayak in snotty weather although to be fair..I would not want to venture anywhere far in the Humber in a Kayak.....I used to work the IP 6 or 7 miles from launch point.

post-25304-0-09986900-1388057519_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sprackles

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely little boat that, many people go overboard with their 'requirements'. I know that runs fairly off Skeggy, had some smaller hounds off there, not sure I'd want one of the tope.

This sort of yakking isn't really for me, I'm not sure I'd feel too comfortable with it or really recommend it but it does show some of the capability of a kayak. We've one who does a lot of wreck fishing knocking up several miles under paddle and sail, again, not generally recommended as you need to be a master of the sea and I know of another who 'races' around the IOW in his. There's regular meets for tope and they do very well and I reckon it takes a bit of pre planning........

A smaller one

tope1_zps6c30489c.jpg

A large one

gary_tope_kayak1_zpsccbf3aaa.jpg

A (common) skate ('skate' to me is a thornback as well btw)

lozzskate1_zps2a228be6.jpg

Edited by yod dropper

I don't know the size of vehicle you have but one option could be an aluminium boat approx 10/12ft and powered with a small outboard and/or oars these are light enough (if your strong) to transport on a roof rack or alternatively cheap trailer. launching is easy and it will float in a puddle, you would also be able to take a friend