Dressing up for special days

Highbird70

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My attire,£20 Barbour off fle bay, old shirt with half the buttons missing and blood stains that wont shift.No cap, a pair of odd wellies,one muckboot left and a balmoral on the right foot.Pushed the boat out and purchased a new pair of combats though £6,probabley get ripped tonight when I get my gonads stuck on the fence again while lamping!Compo looks like he's wearing an armani suite compaired to my clobber but its comfortable and theres always plenty of air around the gonads

Edited by Davyo

Dayvo

Your attire is perfectly fine for lamping and vermin shooting. My own clothing for pigeon shooting is not exactly Savile Row.

However on formal shoot days, especially driven, there is a strong element of tradition to dress smartly. This is out of respect for the quarry and not to out do your fellow guns.

My attire,£20 Barbour off fle bay, old shirt with half the buttons missing and blood stains that wont shift.No cap, a pair of odd wellies,one muckboot left and a balmoral on the right foot.Pushed the boat out and purchased a new pair of combats though £6,probabley get ripped tonight when I get my gonads stuck on the fence again while lamping!Compo looks like he's wearing an armani suite compaired to my clobber but its comfortable and theres always plenty of air around the gonads

Naturally if you will go leaving them hanging on the barbed wire! :lol:

No tradition in Durham i'm afraid,its all about just turning up and taking the **** out of each other and hopefully someone will fall in the beck and with a bit of luck a few birds might get shot, lol

Hi Davyo,

When younger and just started to shoot with other group of fellow shooters, I was exactly like you, then slowly slowly, I started to learn and appreciate, that in the "shooting day it self", there is a lot more to it, now that older...and unfortunally still poor...lol, but happy, I invested my saved money, in something that I consider a smart outfit for a special accasion, dont't forget, that I am one of those shooters, that very rarely goes on a Driven day...infact been only once in my life, I love with great passion to shot over dogs or walked up and for these occasions I like to go tradionalist style.

Maybe you can't see the point in doing it, I fully respect that, but don't tag us a Rich people, I find that a little harsh. Some people like to go to the Pub all week or weekends, again I respect that, I some time go to and really enjoy it, but instead of spending £100 for the "night out session", I rather have 3 or 4 and then go home, so that I carry on with my hobbies, with the saved money.

ATB

Mark

P.S.

Its not Armani Design....but a Bob Parrat design for £265 for the lot...matching cap Included

:oops::oops:

Sorry mate, didnt say you where rich, I just find this traditional dressing up thing odd and wrongly assume it is only for high society types.I am 51yr old and shot for 20yrs,but over the yrs have had no desire to try the tweed. I have never drank or smoked and spend my money on my sons.I also shooting 4 days a week so wearing the cheap clobber goes easy on the pocket.

Sorry mate, didnt say you where rich, I just find this traditional dressing up thing odd and wrongly assume it is only for high society types.I am 51yr old and shot for 20yrs,but over the yrs have had no desire to try the tweed. I have never drank or smoked and spend my money on my sons.I also shooting 4 days a week so wearing the cheap clobber goes easy on the po

Hi Davyo,

No need for sorry, as I said I respect the way you want to go and enjoy your shooting days, I think we just have to look at it as, we just different in our ways....if we were all the same...we would be boring.

ATB

Mark

I fancy a new outfit and bob parrat for the cost of a pizza over 250quid has caught my eye...

What are these like in terms of quality and comfort please?

Hi Jon,

It is my first tweed that I bought, but it does feel very warm and comfy, the quality its good, for what I paid.

ATB

MArk

However on formal shoot days, especially driven, there is a strong element of tradition to dress smartly. This is out of respect for the quarry and not to out do your fellow guns.

i dont have a problem with getting dressed up for a shoot, but how is it more respectful to the quarry?

Hmm.

Game shooting ( walk one stand one )

Tweed cap. - head warm and to keep the sun out of your eyes early season.

Tweed breeks. - I genuinely find them really comfy.

Checked shirt.

Tie.

Long socks.

Either Boots, or if i am expectant of really wet weather i will go with some wellies.

Wax coat.

Sometimes add either, green pullover/jumper, or wool jumper or a wax waistcoat over my shirt under my wax just when its really cold.

None of it matches and none of it is expensive its all cheap **** but i think its good to make an effort when people are good enough to give you guest days.

Pigeon/ walked up/ferreting ect and other rough shooting, just my rabbit gut trousers ( just some heavily worn and blood stained trousers ), shirt and wax jacket, flat cap, usually boots.

No tradition in Durham i'm afraid,its all about just turning up and taking the **** out of each other and hopefully someone will fall in the beck and with a bit of luck a few birds might get shot, lol

Tradition on the little shoot i sometimes get guest days on that the best dressed person goes up to his gonads in the myers while all the guns stood near someone with a radio laugh at the cries of "man down"

Edited by demonwolf444

i dont have a problem with getting dressed up for a shoot, but how is it more respectful to the quarry?

Why do you get dressed up then? It is certainly not to impress your fellow guns.

Just watch a video of the ceremony that goes on on the Continent to celebrate shooting wild boar. That is all about repect for the quarry, the life of which has just been taken.

i was always under the impression that the original reason for wearing the tweed itself was it was the best way of keeping warm on a freezing winters day... and that then turned into something of a tradition and adopted as a rule on all higher end shoots that you HAD to dress for the occasion, preferably in tweed.

i may be wrong though, so stand to be corrected...

Why do you get dressed up then? It is certainly not to impress your fellow guns.

Just watch a video of the ceremony that goes on on the Continent to celebrate shooting wild boar. That is all about repect for the quarry, the life of which has just been taken.

i've been on many driven wild boar shoots on the Continent, and for sure, no one is telling you what to wear

Well I like getting the tweeds and a collar and tie on, we had our first day on Saturday, early morning trip to the bakers and several people commented that I looked smart.

Why would you want to look like a tramp, even rabbiting with the .22 or foxing I wear decent looking clothes, even if they are camo jacket and moleskins.

Edited by malantone

• 3 weeks later...

Mine are on order, should be ready for November. :good:

Fair play to the lady who took my measurements, we had quite a laugh. Didn't think there were that many measurements to take for a pair of plus 4's. I was touched in places that only my mother touched when I was a baby :blush: She was lost for words when I said you best be quick with that measurement, it will start to increase if you don't hurry up :oops::lol:

When they arrive, I will post the pic.

As promised.

image_zpsc5519f7e.jpg

Taken on a Grouse moore last Saturday.My first brace off the first drive B)