question for the "older shooters"

ditchman

I am not sure glitter balls were ever meant to attract pigeons, I believe they were used for corvids, but I have never witnessed any of them being successful.

There are pigeon scarers on the market now , that are spinning silver balls on poles.

i cant find any liturature as to the illegalality of them, but im fairly sure they are illegal.....i can understand the corvids would be attracted to them.....but i used to hear "pub stories" as to pigeon decoys they were deadly.....the birds would be almost "suicidal" on them...........cant seem to track down the truth of it !!

Yes they are illegal used to have one and it was very good for the blackies, but when i found it was illegal i sent it back and got my money back believe it was over a year later as well...

one in action

URL=http://s12.photobucket.com/user/mer1947/media/Picture001.jpg.html]Picture001.jpg[/url]

Edited by hawkeye

I know they have been used on corvids but not on pigeons. When I was a kid and a beater there was an old gypsy caravan they used as a store in one of the woods and in there was a glitter ball the keeper used for corvids......

Must admit I was not aware they were illegal..... under what legislation?

It was one of those perfect secrets, known to just a few..... :innocent:

A gliiter ball in a field, than suddenly thousands of pigeons milling around.....the shooting was astonishing, an average bag exceeding 700 birds in half a day, tractors delivering cases of fresh amunition, farmers begging you to bring your 'Magic Ball' to their fields......

But as usual all good things are spoilt by some one going a step too far...yes, you guessed it, some idiot, not content with several thousand pigeons a week started adding the sound track to Saturday Night Fever. Basically the Bee Gees have a lot to answer for... Margaret Thatcher rushed special legislation through the house of commons, sittings were held late into the night, even the lords held mass protests in Trafalgar square, I am surprised none of you can remember? The coverage was only overshadowed by events in the Falklands.

SO now, policemen patrol our leafy lanes in their silent electric cars windows wound down listening intently for the dulsit tones of Barry Gibb and 'Staying Alive' wafting over the hedgerows and the reflection of a trillion glittery lights on the trees overhead...some have attempted to flout the law, but all have ended up in the tower with just a glitter ball for company.

Be warned.....not everything that gliiters is good for pigeons.

:lol::yahoo::lol::yes::good:

In my head, it is very funny...........

I believe the use of gliiter balls derived from a very old method of attracting,of all things,skylarks by which a clockwork arrangement powered a rotating disc coverered in small glass-mirror fragments.The effect was apparently irresistible to skylarks,and perhaps othersof that ilk,drawing them down into range of the Victorian gunner.There are references in old time literature to this practice,probably outlawed at the time of the use of plover nets or springs.Regret I do not have the current legal chapter and verse.Perhaps BASC can ferret this one out.

A gliiter ball in a field, than suddenly thousands of pigeons milling around.....the shooting was astonishing, an average bag exceeding 700 birds in half a day, tractors delivering cases of fresh amunition, farmers begging you to bring your 'Magic Ball' to their fields......

But as usual all good things are spoilt by some one going a step too far...yes, you guessed it, some idiot, not content with several thousand pigeons a week started adding the sound track to Saturday Night Fever. Basically the Bee Gees have a lot to answer for... Margaret Thatcher rushed special legislation through the house of commons, sittings were held late into the night, even the lords held mass protests in Trafalgar square, I am surprised none of you can remember? The coverage was only overshadowed by events in the Falklands.

SO now, policemen patrol our leafy lanes in their silent electric cars windows wound down listening intently for the dulsit tones of Barry Gibb and 'Staying Alive' wafting over the hedgerows and the reflection of a trillion glittery lights on the trees overhead...some have attempted to flout the law, but all have ended up in the tower with just a glitter ball for company.

That is just sooo wrong........somebody has been shooting near a field of hemp......

Kaunda, you are correct.

I believe the use of gliiter balls derived from a very old method of attracting,of all things,skylarks by which a clockwork arrangement powered a rotating disc coverered in small glass-mirror fragments.The effect was apparently irresistible to skylarks,and perhaps othersof that ilk,drawing them down into range of the Victorian gunner.There are references in old time literature to this practice,probably outlawed at the time of the use of plover nets or springs.Regret I do not have the current legal chapter and verse.Perhaps BASC can ferret this one out.

what have you been on

Come on someone, give us chapter and verse on why they are illegal. :/

in relation to the killing or taking of
Feral Pigeon(Columba livia)only
:
i.to use any device for illuminating a target or any sighting device for night shooting;
ii.to use any form of artificial lighting or any
mirror or other dazzling device.
this is the screed from the general license only ferrals can be lamped or dazzled, seems daft but that's the way it is suppose it stops the bad lads lamping phessies etc out of trees at night.
Edited by kdubya

Have any of you used a " Ballroom glitter ball " to attract pigeons before it was made HIGHLY ILLEGAL ...and what results did you get......

getting back to the question, has anybody actually used a 12v rotating glitter ball ?....and i bet someone is desperate to toy with the idea of doing it...knowing it is illegal to buy a cheap 12v home disco ball and try it out...which none of us would dare to do.........

getting back to the question, has anybody actually used a 12v rotating glitter ball ?....and i bet someone is desperate to toy with the idea of doing it...knowing it is illegal to buy a cheap 12v home disco ball and try it out...which none of us would dare to do.........

as said by hawkeye he had one worked fantastic for corvids but should imagine as with a spinner it would not work for pigeon..

KW

with referance to "rainbow laces"......we shall have to "get to the bottom of this"........with all this talk of spinning balls and dodgy disco ..sounds more like greys (locally known as durassic park) on union street in newcastle-on -tyne (wednesday night by the way)

Spot on !! If my memory serves me correct i seem to remember an episode of Out of Town where Jack showed a skylark trap in one of his guess what it is scetches.

Edited by lumpy