Stopping drinking for a month

delburt0

Well got diagnosed with gout earlier in the week and have been told a big factor is alcohol so tonight whilst early evening out with my son popping a few bunnies (sat in hilux i cant walk) there was a advert on radio for stopping drinking in the month of October for 1 month.

For some strange reason I have told my son I will do it after all the gout has been a wake up call and I might lose a few pounds.

I stopped smoking last October for cancer research after 25 yrs so hard can it be ??? I'm still off the cigs.

I have no vices left after this,

If I'm here next year I hope that no one finds anything I like (probably stop takeaway month)

Ah well here I go 54 mins to get through 3 cans and a glass of vodka and orange,

Apologies for been short over the next 31 days in advance :). :). :)

Ps forgot to add no pee taking , support would be nice for a change :)

Good for you. I am almost tee total now and find I have a great time without feeling shhhh the next day. Bad news is I am now on the diet coke.

Keep up the good work.

I was on 3l of diet coke a day - gave it up 4 months ago.

Took me a week on the sofa - I'm convinced it was an addiction (this was the 4th time I'd tried to give up!)

Not had any for 4 months, tried a sip and hate the taste now!

I was on 3l of diet coke a day - gave it up 4 months ago.

Took me a week on the sofa - I'm convinced it was an addiction (this was the 4th time I'd tried to give up!)

Not had any for 4 months, tried a sip and hate the taste now!

thanks for the support one of my colleuges had drank 4+ litres of full sugar coke and orange 12 hr shifts at work for yrs as well as out of work we all used to joke ,

until he had a liver removed and been on dialysis for 8 months...

My job means excessive hotel stays. One of my colleagues gave up alcohol (was a very heavy drinker) and stopped for a year.

Felt, looked and sounded far better.

Best of luck - let people close know you've stopped and gather plenty of support? :)

my wife and kids know that's enough for me just wish I had done it earlier as there are plenty of synics who I associate with so I might have extracted some money for McMillan :) I will stick to it this year but might try and get more involved next year and try and raise a few quid for McMillan maybe approach teal to see if there is anything that we can do for it to go to McMillan from p/w ??? Edited by delburt0

It's 27 years since I jumped on the wagon.

I've just started getting Gout in a thumb and toe :/

However, other than that, I'm really fit and I've achieved so much that would never have happened if I'd still been on the booze.

I've never known anyone die from not drinking alcohol but plenty who have :no:

Best wishes with it.

Don't remember the last time I had an alcoholic drink, not through choice I've just been working flat out at work and also doing up a house so I have not had time to go out.

I think if they banned alcohol tomorrow I wouldn't miss it, always crave a nice cup of tea after a hard days work.

It's 27 years since I jumped on the wagon.

I've just started getting Gout in a thumb and toe :/

However, other than that, I'm really fit and I've achieved so much that would never have happened if I'd still been on the booze.

I've never known anyone die from not drinking alcohol but plenty who have :no:

Best wishes with it.

:stupid:

10 yrs hear best thing I ever did good luck with ur month ;)

Delburt0 - I'm not sure what "words of encouragenemt" I can offer you but I certainly wish you well and hope that you can continue to find and hold on to enough determination to "stay on the waggon", if not for your own sake for the sake of those around you that love and care about you!

Good Luck and Best Wishes Mate! :good::good::good:

Takes me back to the olden days when i used to go out onthe Pop every night, and made a big change in my life, (god this sounds like a session in the local chapel with all the old folk over a cupa and ginger nuts) there nothing wrong in having a drink the problem is knowing when you have had enough. It all about control. it normaly comes with age :good: and maturity :rolleyes: and they dont allways come together :no:

Edited by Dougy

Not had a drink in nearly 6 months now and i feel fantastic health wise. No more wasted days,no days feeling ****, no blurry hazy memory and certainly more happier a person. Ive had support from family and friends and plenty encouragment and motivation from a fair few on here in a thread 6 months back. Hope it works out for you and the gout clears up.

I go dry in January, have done it for quite a few years, i sleep better, lose weight, have more oomph in the "you know what" department, and feel better generally and i think why the hell dont i just stay on the wagon....then along comes the 6 Nations! :rolleyes: ......And we're back on the booze again, however i tend not to drink Monday to Wednesday, and Thursday and Sunday are usually (but not always) dry days but Friday & Saturday, thats a different matter!

Good luck, it will make a difference!

Cheers

Aled

Guest cookoff013

i dont generally drink that much. i started to drink more now i brew.

i ended up bottling home brew in 1/2 pints.

i do drink becks blue as well, the alcohol free stuff, its great for when you need to hydrate.

You would be better off making a less drastic change you can stick to for life.

Giving up for a month is fine, but what are going to do when the month is up?

It's exactly the same as dieting for a while or going to the gym for a few months etc..

^This! My friend is a personal trainer and too many times he sees people want to "diet". He asks them exactly that, what happens when the diet ends? He told me a better way of approach is to change your lifestyle - find the things in life that make you feel like you want to stop or to change and hold on to them. There are too many horror stories.

Edited by deaquire