Staying hidden.

nagantino

Got out today cos the forecast was good. It's good for tomorrow but I think other guns will be on the permission on a Saturday. So I set up where I thought was perfect, and although I brought in crows and pigeons and had dropped 8 or so, they began pulling away every time. I convinced myself they could not see me but after a while it was futile to continue. As I poured a cup of coffee, a buzzard landed beside the crows. It sat perfectly still looking back over its shoulder for minutes on end then hopped on the back of the crow, plucked it and got stuck into its back! By 2 o,clock I dragged the hide into a ditch on the opposite side of the field. It was the saddest hide ever. It was draped over me mostly and i was standing in an inch of water, but I was hidden. The birds started dropping in and it was great fun for the next hour or so. I could not have operated an O/U or a SxS in the confined space of the wee hide, but the Beretta semi-auto was a gift. 27 woodies and 5 crows, but the lesson of complete cover in a well shot - over field was not lost on me.

Sounds like you had a good day in the end.

I am hoping to get out tomorrow. Not seen many pigeons feeding on my permission over the last few weeks however when I drove passed a stubble field this afternoon there must have been 20 pigeons feeding on it. I can't wait to get out.

Got out today cos the forecast was good. It's good for tomorrow but I think other guns will be on the permission on a Saturday. So I set up where I thought was perfect, and although I brought in crows and pigeons and had dropped 8 or so, they began pulling away every time. I convinced myself they could not see me but after a while it was futile to continue. As I poured a cup of coffee, a buzzard landed beside the crows. It sat perfectly still looking back over its shoulder for minutes on end then hopped on the back of the crow, plucked it and got stuck into its back! By 2 o,clock I dragged the hide into a ditch on the opposite side of the field. It was the saddest hide ever. It was draped over me mostly and i was standing in an inch of water, but I was hidden. The birds started dropping in and it was great fun for the next hour or so. I could not have operated an O/U or a SxS in the confined space of the wee hide, but the Beretta semi-auto was a gift. 27 woodies and 5 crows, but the lesson of complete cover in a well shot - over field was not lost on me.

Sounds just like the problems I get in Essex. Are you in that part of the world too? When I see Crowman or Big George standing up, in a hide in the middle of the field, head and shoulders showing, I know I wouldn't even see a bird, let alone shoot one. It seems to be a local problem, one little corner of my perms is much easier, I get 90% of my birds from this 5% area, no difference in crops or farming methods, just I can't them to come in on all the rest of my ground. Plenty about, they just know the game too well!!

Kitchrat, I'm in county Antrim. I did try to keep hidden and as I said, I brought a buzzard in to eat the dead crow so I thought I was doing well. Even magpies flying close enough to be shot, 2, I didn't mention that in the OP. The pigeons were fling in mostly from over my right shoulder hesitating then zooming on. Time after time this happened. I reduced the decoys until only downed birds were acting as decoys. One pigeon went down in a flurry of feathers and I thought this was what causing the problem, all those feathers on the stubble. It was a great day. When I moved and hunkered down they came in. It's a funny old game. In June as I was packing up to go home, picking up the decoys and fallen birds, a wood pigeon landed 10 feet from me! Go figure.

Kitchrat, I'm in county Antrim. I did try to keep hidden and as I said, I brought a buzzard in to eat the dead crow so I thought I was doing well. Even magpies flying close enough to be shot, 2, I didn't mention that in the OP. The pigeons were fling in mostly from over my right shoulder hesitating then zooming on. Time after time this happened. I reduced the decoys until only downed birds were acting as decoys. One pigeon went down in a flurry of feathers and I thought this was what causing the problem, all those feathers on the stubble. It was a great day. When I moved and hunkered down they came in. It's a funny old game. In June as I was packing up to go home, picking up the decoys and fallen birds, a wood pigeon landed 10 feet from me! Go figure.

If they were coming in over your shoulder, I suspect they were seeing into your hide. If the buzzard and magpies came in, the hide must have been good from the front anyway. I know pigeons will look down into your hide if they can, build a roof if they are coming over from behind.

I've wondered about feathers too, and clear up the worst of them. I've also wondered about spent cartridges from autos getting thrown out of the hide and into view.

I wonder about a lot of things in the lean times - and there are lots of them!!!

If they were coming in over your shoulder, I suspect they were seeing into your hide. If the buzzard and magpies came in, the hide must have been good from the front anyway. I know pigeons will look down into your hide if they can, build a roof if they are coming over from behind.

I've wondered about feathers too, and clear up the worst of them. I've also wondered about spent cartridges from autos getting thrown out of the hide and into view.

I wonder about a lot of things in the lean times - and there are lots of them!!!

Kitchrat, you and your theories! I really don't think pigeons would be put off by some small white things scattered across the field, and i'm sure pigeons aren't scared of empty cartridges, either!

:no:

you do make me chuckle at times :lol:

Kitchrat, you and your theories! I really don't think pigeons would be put off by some small white things scattered across the field, and i'm sure pigeons aren't scared of empty cartridges, either!

Like I say, loads of time to ponder on what's going wrong when it isn't going right!!!

:no:

you do make me chuckle at times :lol:

Good!!

Give Kitchrat a good day with feathers all over the place, spent cartridges outside the hide and numerous birds in the pattern upside down and his 'theories' will disappear.

Please do, but at least I'm entertaining you all!!

Just DO NOT MOVE when they approach. Not even an inch, they won't see you. When they are fixed to land theydo just that, if you move they see it from miles away and go elsewhere. Dead still and no messing with it and you will soon see that you can have your head poking out over thr top of the hide. I do as I get bored sitting and have no issues. I've even stood still when they are coming in and I'm changing a magnet battery or whatever and they still come in. Just don't move. How simple is that. Well not very really but it really works. Dead still and youtrsr set.

Ginger, I'm out on Friday and will try what you say. I love the idea of peeking over the net but doing it dead still. I like this because I often miss birds landing into the pattern because I can't see them through the net!

I am constantly looking over the net. I find that I don't have to be that still. Pigeons don't usually spot me unless they are in the decoy pattern already. I'm never very still whilst sat down in the hide, either. I get my feet ready (and gun) so that i'm in position to take the shot at the incoming pigeons.

Ginger, I'm out on Friday and will try what you say. I love the idea of peeking over the net but doing it dead still. I like this because I often miss birds landing into the pattern because I can't see them through the net!

Get a Jack Pyke clear view net and have it as the top 300mm of your hide. I got one two years ago and it has revolutionised my decoying. The visibility through them is excellent.

Following another thread about the same supplier the net may be the only item which works well and gives 100% satisfaction.

I don't sit down.

I have a small fold out chair which i rest the butt of the gun on and i wear a face mask.

Once they start coming in i keep my eyes on the bird i want and slowly move the gun up. I don't tend to spook many when out shooting.

Sneaky sneaky

I,ve always stood to shoot, when you see a bird out in front just dip slowly so that the peek of my cap is over the edge of the hide and watch as the bird approaches Move, Mount and Shoot. If DB is making a cigarette I watch if I'm pouring the coffee DB is watching. If a birds flies in from the side or back you take the shot as by the time youve sorted whos turn it is its gone. We do take it in turns normally . The most important thing is not to move or point, thats why I've said in the past we set points on the field so you know where they are infront if you rise to shoot i.e. " two from the ash tree"

I've watched other shooters in hides and all you can see is heads bobing up and down and hands pointing . If you watch some of the shooting vids you will see some stay down and let the birds approach or look through the hide not one points as far as I'm aware.

I rarely share a hide unless I take out a novice or 'The Jinx'. I always insist on the other gun bringing a seat. When we first get into the hide and ready I will point out landmarks that are hands on the clock. Dead ahead is 12 o' clock, very hard right is 3 o' clock, hard left is 9 o'clock and so on. There is no looking over the hide top, just through the 'clear view' netting.

I am blessed with exceptional eye sight and it will be rare for another gun to spot one coming in before I do. If they do it is helpful to me for them to use the same analogy and there will be no need for pointing.

I always shoot standing up.

Edited by JDog

Im one of the old school when we were not blessed with netting n poles. we made natural hides above head height n trimmed to suit individuals.i always stand to shoot whatever the quarry,try playing tennis sitting its not natural. 80 plus percent of good shooting involves good footwork and yes i know some of us can shoot sitting.ive enough hide seats i could sell some. why not try a tall hide with seat for the dull moments and stand to shoot,you will get better swing etc and maybe not spook birds as much. I use a face mask or camo paint and have head above hide most of the time ,no need to keep moving head use your eyes, your perifial vision will pick up more than you think.when hide building make sure you have a good backstop.

me too pc I like to spot them in the distance then crouch lower behind the net and watch them all the way, also because you have spotted a bird approaching it gives you the advantage of taking the bird passing if it dosn,t come to the decoys, also I find it hard to swing the gun properly when sat down, and more often than not run out of swing, and if birds come in very low you have to stand to shoot

I,ve always stood to shoot, when you see a bird out in front just dip slowly so that the peek of my cap is over the edge of the hide and watch as the bird approaches Move, Mount and Shoot.

Just DO NOT MOVE when they approach. Not even an inch, they won't see you. When they are fixed to land theydo just that, if you move they see it from miles away and go elsewhere. Dead still and no messing with it and you will soon see that you can have your head poking out over thr top of the hide. I do as I get bored sitting and have no issues. I've even stood still when they are coming in and I'm changing a magnet battery or whatever and they still come in. Just don't move. How simple is that. Well not very really but it really works. Dead still and youtrsr set.

got the hide poles,netting and the seat, leave them in the shed now, just wear an ex mod ripstop dmp jacket and pants and one of those chrushable felt wide brimmed hats, as long as you are not in silhouette and do not move they will fly right over your head,shoot a couple flighting then put them out, or take deeks with you.

farmer came looking for me to help him move some sheep, he knew where I was shooting, I got grey hair and stuble he was 5 mtrs away looked straight through me, until I moved, good job he's a strong heart, ,

one of the places I shoot is on a strong flightline, I can see them coming from about 1k if you move they change path

crows are a different ball game, have a scrim scarf draped over my hat and shoulders for them