nice picture

simon6ppc

today i was on my shoot and i came across this young grouse that couldn't fly,were not shooting the grouse just yet as we want to get the numbers back up so i put it back down in a safe place hoping it mite recover,but just thought i would show you this picture as they are such a smart bird,cheers simon....

post-56146-0-69497800-1382217567_thumb.jpg

Edited by simon6ppc

Driller may well be right for the first time in his life.

A young grouse of that age should be able to fly and there is obviously something seriously wrong with it if it cannot. It is normally old birds that fall victim to 'grouse disease' caused by the worm burden but young birds can get it too.

null_zpsc6dc49e8.jpg

I was on the moor yesterday with the dog and a couple of guys from here...lots of grouse and a few shots..

Here's my dog taking a break..he was shattered!!

No finer game bird than the grouse in my opinion, we even saw a perigrin falcon hunting the moor..

Edited by archie1234

null_zpsc6dc49e8.jpg

I was on the moor yesterday with the dog and a couple of guys from here...lots of grouse and a few shots..

Here's my dog taking a break..he was shattered!!

No finer game bird than the grouse in my opinion, we even saw a perigrin falcon hinting the moor..

ye you cant beat the grouse moors pal,ive bin on this certain moor from a young boy when i got friends with the farmers son around 40 years ago,ive seen the grouse increase and decline over the years,ime very lucky as now he owns it and ive got the privilege to get a shoot going again and hope fully who knows in the future if we can burn it and keep the vermin under control probably get back in the old half fallen down butts,cheers simon

ye you cant beat the grouse moors pal,ive bin on this certain moor from a young boy when i got friends with the farmers son around 40 years ago,ive seen the grouse increase and decline over the years,ime very lucky as now he owns it and ive got the privilege to get a shoot going again and hope fully who knows in the future if we can burn it and keep the vermin under control probably get back in the old half fallen down butts,cheers simon

Same for me mate, had the shooting rites to this moor for 20+ years in my family..don't do much to it due to its location but got plans for more burning, grit trays, and hitting the vermin hard..

Same for me mate, had the shooting rites to this moor for 20+ years in my family..don't do much to it due to its location but got plans for more burning, grit trays, and hitting the vermin hard..

good luck any way pal with your plans,hope it all works out for you all,as soon as the weather's right were all up there burning....

Simon, make sure you take a few more pictures of the moor and the spoils it provides you these coming months!

P.S How good would it be to have a pet grouse just waddling about the house! :good:

would be brilliant BRNDL i know what you mean,we had 2 pet foxes this year but give up on the idea and let them go as they stunk after a bit and we felt sorry for them as they should be in the wild ha ha,obviously no where near my shoot or any thing

Edited by simon6ppc