Oh the Yanks are at it again...

In my eyes it's not breeding the animals for sport /killing were. It's how you treat and deal with them animals whilst there alive.

Making comparisons over what there doing to the driven sport in this country is flawed.

Let's face it how did they get so many grown birds rounded up and into boxes and how far were they transported before they were handled and cast into the air. Our small syndicate shoots. only gets a 30 percent return at best. The locals like seeing the "wild" pheasants under there bird feeders and some may even go onto breed.

I would also like to think the time they spend with us there fairly well looked after.

Most so called wildlife in this country is now introduced or managed in one way or another. I include everything from deer to the humble sparrow.

Karpman

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see the point that has been made about the stocked trout fishery, as the sole intention of fishing these waters is to catch and kill however many fish your ticket allows. Skewing the topic slightly regarding breeding animals to kill, we raise pigs and sheep for the table and my aim throughout this process is to provide the best possible welfare for these animals until the time comes for slaughter. Does that make it no better than the person who raises animals for the table and mistreats them throughout there lives?

The fact of the matter is if an animal is bred for the purpose of killing, be it pheasants/pigs/sheep whatever, it is our moral obligation once this decision is made to give that animal the best possible care & quality of life until the times comes for the life to end. The video clearly shows that the birds are not treated well.

As people who shoot quarry we have all made the decision that it is ok to take a life, and in whatever setting we choose to do it it should be done efficiently and with the respect that the animal deserves.

As people who shoot quarry we have all made the decision that it is ok to take a life...

Those that have decided it is ok probably all agree we owe the quarry respect in the build-up and process of doing it. Those that have decided otherwise just see an immoral slaughter however it's done.

In short I don't think any game shoot supporter would disagree with you and at the same time no anti is going to ever entertain what you're saying. For them the means will never justify the end.

I can see the point that has been made about the stocked trout fishery, as the sole intention of fishing these waters is to catch and kill however many fish your ticket allows. Skewing the topic slightly regarding breeding animals to kill, we raise pigs and sheep for the table and my aim throughout this process is to provide the best possible welfare for these animals until the time comes for slaughter. Does that make it no better than the person who raises animals for the table and mistreats them throughout there lives?

The fact of the matter is if an animal is bred for the purpose of killing, be it pheasants/pigs/sheep whatever, it is our moral obligation once this decision is made to give that animal the best possible care & quality of life until the times comes for the life to end. The video clearly shows that the birds are not treated well.

As people who shoot quarry we have all made the decision that it is ok to take a life, and in whatever setting we choose to do it it should be done efficiently and with the respect that the animal deserves.

I could not agree more. Very we'll said.

Hmmm.. the game shooters I know tend to go to a shoot, kill a hundred birds or so and then walk away, possibly with a brace, but generally not

So do you expect someone who shoots 200 pigeons to sit down and eat them all? or someone who shoots a 100kg pig to eat it all?

Of course not, they will both enter the food chain just not eaten by the 'hunter'

I beat at a commercial shoot where they can put on 3-400 bird days if people want them, none of the guns are interested in taking birds home but know they enter the food chain as the game dealer's van is usually in the yard waiting for them when we return.

From what is see in the country side everything has a chance, when I start my ferreting season and especially when it end’s, anything young gets is released.

I quite often clap off young squabs that land in my decoy pattern in the summer as they know no better.

A big shoot local to me (360 record bag 8 guns) had a huge number of birds go walk about this season, also with the number of foxes I have shot those birds will survive as they are spread over 3 farms and wont be dogged back in as the distance is to great.

On the driven days I have been on, low birds are left giving them a chance, plenty of times birds get past the beaters and trickle out.

Our little rough shoot is populated from birds that have left the big shoot close by, they stay and breed as we have found nest’s and seen pouts’ in the summer.

The birds in the video have a very low chance of survival due too the placement of guns….nothing surprises me in the good old US of A as sadly in the news this morning a 13 year old lad was shot and killed by 2 police officers because he was carrying a plastic gun…very sad news indeed.

TEH

From what is see in the country side everything has a chance, when I start my ferreting season and especially when it end’s, anything young gets is released.

I quite often clap off young squabs that land in my decoy pattern in the summer as they know no better.

A big shoot local to me (360 record bag 8 guns) had a huge number of birds go walk about this season, also with the number of foxes I have shot those birds will survive as they are spread over 3 farms and wont be dogged back in as the distance is to great.

On the driven days I have been on, low birds are left giving them a chance, plenty of times birds get past the beaters and trickle out.

Our little rough shoot is populated from birds that have left the big shoot close by, they stay and breed as we have found nest’s and seen pouts’ in the summer.

The birds in the video have a very low chance of survival due too the placement of guns….nothing surprises me in the good old US of A as sadly in the news this morning a 13 year old lad was shot and killed by 2 police officers because he was carrying a plastic gun…very sad news indeed.

TEH

I'm not following this post to be honest. Ferreting and pigeon decoying is pest control; if the landowner discovered we were releasing immature rabbits and frightening off squabs he would tell us to **** off and then get someone else in.

Your only reference to the video is in the last paragraph where you've mentioned the placement of guns; the 'keeper on a British driven day wouldn't get his tip at the end of the day if he deliberately placed guns where no birds flew! On our syndicate days we are positioned to give us the best chance of shooting birds...isn't that the whole point? And then you've finished it off with a mention of Police shooting a teenaged boy!

The way it is depicted in the footage on the OP's post? Yes.

For the people who think that how they are shooting pheasants in the u.s is wrong and unsporting , I would just like to know if you would support a ban of it if it were to come under attack .

For the people who think that how they are shooting pheasants in the u.s is wrong and unsporting , I would just like to know if you would support a ban of it if it were to come under attack .

We can't support a ban in any case as it's in a different country but over here it would last a day. You can fantasise all you like about it being no different to game shooting but all it takes is for a tabloid to have a Toss'N Kill headline and it's history.

Edited by Hamster

Yep, attended the marches and rallies, and was outside of Parliament the day the bill became law (lunch hour to show support, didn't see the unnecessary violence from the Police, until I watched the news later in the day), and never hunted or attended a met in my life. But yet again, there is a world of difference.

and just out of curiosity did you support fox hunting .

Edited by Penelope

Yep, attended the marches and rallies, and was outside of Parliament the day the bill became law (lunch hour to show support, didn't see the unnecessary violence from the Police, until I watched the news later in the day), and never hunted or attended a met in my life. But yet again, there is a world of difference.

so you supported something you really have no experience on and will condemn another on the same basis, how come anti's get so much stick for being as small minded as people on here.

We can't support a ban in any case as it's in a different country but over here it would last a day. You can fantasise all you like about it being no different to game shooting but all it takes is for a tabloid to have a Toss'N Kill headline and it's history.

this is how tabloids can make things sound , hundreds of pheasants are hirded to an end of a wood where their only option is to fly over awaiting guns ready to kill them in their masses , or they could try and fly back through men waving sticks and hitting bushes. Lets get this brutal sport stopped. Or a single pheasant is thrown in the air off a high tower where awaiting guns are gonna test their wits against this sporting bird. Your the one fantasising .

JESUS IS THIS STILL GOING ON ! can we just get back to shooting as we know it , who really gives a **** what the usa does , there a law unto them self's.

that's right its their laws not ours we may not see it as "sporting" but its their way and its not for us decry, we sharp whinge at non shooters in town calling foul on our methods.

KW