shrimping

holly

just finished making a new shrimp drag net just need to attach drag lines and its ready for next summer . anyone else go shrimping ? i used to go years ago and had a net similar to the one i have just made which i lent out never to be returned , also had a large 2 man cod end drag net was always successful catching brown shrimps galore

post-14152-0-23423300-1384625685_thumb.jpg

How do you use it? Type of ground etc.

sandy beach just drag it behind you (rope not yet attached) as you walk midriff deep in the sea at low tide i used to drag one at hornsea and aldbourough on the east coast .bi9johnny ive seen the push nets and think that might be my next project :good:

What kind of weight do you generally get?

Sounds daft, but could you attach it to a peddlo (sp)

Could get a mate to help collect then LOL

used to just fish till we got enough for our needs 2 or 3 pints was the norm as i had a static on the land over looking the beach so if we wanted them next day we just trolled again . pedlo sounds good Mmm might get wife one for crimbo lol

Any one have pictures or plans for a push net

+1

how long did it take to build? I got a small 4ft push net but still get 100s of shrimp on a good day, caught dover sole too!

only took an hour to knock up but i did it in the metal shop at work so everything was to hand ( welder rollers grinder)

i saw the link to the topic, and after making many a shrimp frame for the commersial shrimpers on the fylde coast, I wondered what other folk round the country use. Now this is nothing like I have made, but I could see it working Ok for a little DIY bit of fun, and if you are pulling it through sand where the shrimps are, it shoud catch. I think the chain looks OK as it adds weight to the front to stabilize the rig. I recon that if you get the three rope lengths right & a good length of tow rope to pull off, it will sit flat & fish OK. As far as quantities go, like I said before, if you are in the right spot & feeling strong enough, any amount should be possible, but how much time have you got after fishing to pick the little *******. The current Mrs sky gipsy & I have spent many an afternoon picking through a big pile of shrimps on the kitchen table for potting and it is not for the faint hearted!!

well done, good luck and enjoy :good:

ATB

S.G.

done the picking before so know the score :rolleyes: but its well worth the effort the three ropes is something for me to play with over the winter i have an old harness i recovered out of a skip at work which i intend to use for attaching net to man :lol: just checking out a few videos on you tube on the push nets another winter project me thinks :good:

I used to do a lot of shrimping up at Fleetwood a good few years back (Around 18 years ago) - That was when the "Scorpio" a steel built inshore trawler went down killing a good and big hearted friend of mine who called "Benny Bee".

Started with a 6 foot wide "Push Net" and chest waders going in almost chest deep, which could be a bit worrying in the dark - You had to know the waters and tides of you were asking for very serious trouble. After a while I bought a small 18 foot clinker built boat with a day cabin on it and a Perking diesel engine that powered it along very nicely called the "St Margaret" (I don't know if she is trill there, maybe somewhere around Jubilee Quay). Used to do quite well but by heck it was hard work, especially in the boat hand hauling a great big shrimp trawl and doors net on your own!

The picking was what took up the time though but there were plenty of places you could sell cooked and picked shrimps up there for ready cash. If you worked hard at it you could just about pay for your nights out on the beer but you would struggle to make a living out of it nowadays!

I used to use a traditional push net which the old timers around the 1900's used but although I got loads of shrimps, I regularly used to see the sand trails as fish I touched bolted away.

I then made a beam trawl with a 6' mouth.....just the same as a commercial set up really only smaller.

Standard beam shoes with a detachable beam...net rigged with 2 tickler chains, flapper panel etc.

The idea was that if I tickled a fish, as it left the sand and bolted upwards the net would already be over the top of it.

It works very well....better with 2 men pulling it as then you are not walking over the ground being trawled but it still works.

As anticipated, my fish catch went up and I regularly come home with 2 or 3 dover soles to go with the shrimp.