Drink Driving Pillock

Danoi99

A mate was just caught drink driving and was on his way home from a clay shoot. He was twice over the limit, had hit 2 cars, Police were called and he was arrested.

He had guns in his possession at the time. I think he should be banned from driving and have his SGC taken away also........Harsh you think?

He has asked me to put his guns on my licence and have them in my safe, I have refused because I have 2 sbs and a pump action in a small cabinet, and I don't think he should have access to guns if he cant refrain from drinking and driving. He could have killed some poor soul.

Now he says his wife is gonna apply for a SGC so he will be able to keep the guns! What a joke our gun laws are eh? It doesn't seem right to me.

Interested to hear your opinions.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mate was just caught drink driving and was on his way home from a clay shoot. He was twice over the limit, had hit 2 cars, Police were called and he was arrested.

He had guns in his possession at the time. I think he should be banned from driving and have his SGC taken away also........Harsh you think?

He has asked me to put his guns on my licence and have them in my safe, I have refused because I have 2 sbs and a pump action in a small cabinet, and I don't think he should have access to guns if he cant refrain from drinking and driving. He could have killed some poor soul.

Now he says his wife is gonna apply for a SGC so he will be able to keep the guns! What a joke our gun laws are eh? It doesn't seem right to me.

What do you think he would do if he still had access to guns? Rob a bank? Carry out a mass killing?

The Police will be onto it and his wife will not get the ticket.

However stupid the man is he is still your friend so don't abandon him.

Why should his wife not be allowed a ticket? Do you really think that because someone has been irresponsibly they will suddenly become violent, have a desire to obtain some guns and run amok?

The Police will be onto it and his wife will not get the ticket.

However stupid the man is he is still your friend so don't abandon him.

In a nutshell the above if he loses his licence he will obviously be deemed unfit to possess! In granting his wife a licence Police would worry that he could gain access to the firearms, very unlikely she would get a SGC in these circumstances only a mate could help.

Alan

Edited by Alanl50

I have a library fine(irresponsible) and a speeding fine(further irresponsibility, could have killed someone!) and yet the police were stupid enough to let me own guns. what a joke our gun laws are hey!

It takes a special kind of stupidity and arrogance for someone to drive twice over the limit with guns in the car.

I just hope nobody else was hurt in this, they could have been - and all because of this ****.

Throw the book at him, and no , I don't think his wife should get a ticket to cover him.

drink driving on the way home from a shoot with guns in the car shows total irresponsibility in many ways.yes I would think his sgc is to be a thing of the past.also when the fao comes to visit for his wifes application he will ask if anyone in the house has a record of course he will know in advance and I feel would therefore deny her a certificate.he will have a few years to reflect on his stupidity and maybe in five or ten years could apply again as long as he has grown up.

Why should his wife not be allowed a ticket? Do you really think that because someone has been irresponsibly they will suddenly become violent, have a desire to obtain some guns and run amok?

Is his wife going to use the guns herself? Of course not. If the guns were to stay in the house the husband may be tempted to take them out to shoot clays when he has been banned from gun ownership. He has already been shown to be reckless, feckless and stupid for being caught drink driving. He may be equally stupid again.

Slightly off topic, but is there a law saying you shouldn't be intoxicated whilst in the possession of guns? Surely this could effect a lot of the traditional driven game shoots?!

What does it matter if there is or is not a law that says you should not be in posession of guns while intoxicated? Surely this is COMMON SENSE! :yes:

Ask yourself, would you be comfortable ot shooting (Clays, rough shooting, game or whatever) with someone who was intoxicated? :hmm::hmm::hmm:

If ever anyone turned up to shoot with me that I even suspected of being intoxicated they would not even be allowed to get their gun out of it's slip let alone shoot it! :no::no::no:

To s l a g a so called mate off on here youre a mate he can do without. He broke the law and will no doubt sufferer for it. Did he do wrong ? yes of course he did. Does he deserve a so called mate trashing him on the net ? no he doesn't. Some mate you are :no:

I have been beating quite a few times in the past and countless times i have seen the bottles and flasks get handed round with all mixtures of warming remedies promised with a few sipps of the contents.

This is at the end of most drives, then a meet for lunch at the bothy and even more drink, obviously its all low alcohol or zero, rite it is and every body has a breathaliser test before the next drive. Who is to tell if someone is intoxicated ???

" let him who is without sin cast the first stone "

Lets hang the guy and have done with it i say.

Just to say when i say beating its been at some pretty big shoots, and smaller Pub syndicate type shoots

Edited by Dougy

I don't think that reflects on gun laws - although there is plenty wrong with them. His wife has pretty much zero chance of getting a cert as it will be obvious why she is applying.

I reckon you mate is pretty unlikely ever to get one again, to be honest.

J.

He will loose his ticket and license that's all the law can do

It can do more than that. Given the circumstances there is a reasonable chance he'll get locked up and if he gets more than three months he becomes a prohibited person.

J.

Unless he becomes a prohibited person there is no automatic SGC/gun removal. If he doesn't the police may still decide to remove his guns/SGC but that does not stop him having access/use of shotguns, or his wife. The Police would have to demonstrate why he/his wife are not fit in these circumstances, which, with society as it stands may be relatively easy!

I used to run drink drive rehabilitation courses for a private company afore I retired as a driving instructor , had 2 or 3 SG cert holders on the course who had been banned for drink driving , none of them had lost their tickets ( they were worried that they might ) . The circumstances in which they were convicted were not aggravated so I suppose the police decided that on these occasions the ticket holder was still a suitable person .

I did have one person ( banned obviously) turn up on the course after driving there :innocent: , and several were repeat offenders , dont know what the current guidance is regarding revoking certs after a conviction .