Helicopter crash in Glasgow

Malik

Time to leave it there Billy. We've all said things in the heat of the moment that we have regretted after - and countless more we would have regretted had things turned out differently. The man's apologised before any comment was made about the inappropriate nature of it, so time to let it be and concentrate on the victims and their families

What could have been a great night out will now be a day that haunts a lot of people for the rest of their lives. Thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected tonight. Did the Scottish football matches have a minute's silence? I heard one of the fire fighters was on the scene until 8am, then went off for his Scottish Cup match where he was playing.

+2

Now is not the time for bitching.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents,

I sincerely wish I had not attempted to make a light-hearted anecdote out of this. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I would rather not have been joking about people who are now known to be seriously injured or, possibly dead. I feel great sorrow for those who live on when their loved ones have died, especially so close to Christmas. Their lives are changed for ever.

Hindsight is just that. It was a mistake - I dont think I am unique in making them.

They are a modified EC135 and the T2 meant they had an higher landing legs for uneven ground and an uprated gearbox box which wasn't developed as well. Normally the gearbox will develop an unbalance which is detectable and rectified. But some gearboxs have been pretty bad in some and been replaced.

Problem is a helicopter is a big machine that wants to shake its self to bits and the police ones get alot of use. That particular helicopter is owned by the bond group who would have serviced that machine meticulously.

But it's early days, could have been a blade failure or pilot error. Many different reasons

Edited by andypaint

They finely removed the helicopter from the building today and I am afraid that I have to agree with one chap who was there and he said it seems the powers that be care more about keeping the helicopter in tact in the hope that they will be able find out what made it come down than trying to rescue people who could have been trapped under it or in the building.

But that seems to me to be the way everything is these days we have a crash on a busy road and someone is killed instead of getting the road open again they spend all day farting about tacking photos and measuring everything and if they do find someone is to blame he/she will get band from driving for two weeks and have to pay a small fine in other countries a car bomb goes off and kills 30 people two hours later everything has been cleaned up and the traffic is back to normal.

Anyone know if they actually auto rotated and landed but the chopper went through the roof under its weight or whether it actually crashed?

I know nothing about helicopters, but my guess is that it was a part land, part crash, which is why it didn't obliterate the place. If it had just dropped straight out of the sky - whilst six people being killed is a tragedy - somehow I fell like there should have been more?

I know nothing about helicopters, but my guess is that it was a part land, part crash, which is why it didn't obliterate the place. If it had just dropped straight out of the sky - whilst six people being killed is a tragedy - somehow I fell like there should have been more?

Also I do not understand why the crew of three was killed and why did it not catch fire its all a bit strange to my way of looking at it.

Agreed! Apparently witnesses say it dropped like a stone, but it was either a very strong roof or..........

Edited by Dekers

They finely removed the helicopter from the building today and I am afraid that I have to agree with one chap who was there and he said it seems the powers that be care more about keeping the helicopter in tact in the hope that they will be able find out what made it come down than trying to rescue people who could have been trapped under it or in the building.

But that seems to me to be the way everything is these days we have a crash on a busy road and someone is killed instead of getting the road open again they spend all day farting about tacking photos and measuring everything and if they do find someone is to blame he/she will get band from driving for two weeks and have to pay a small fine in other countries a car bomb goes off and kills 30 people two hours later everything has been cleaned up and the traffic is back to normal.

I share these sentiments in many respects, but we live in an age of H&S and detailed investigation, I hate assuming but I guess they were satisfied a while back there is nobody else to save!

It was a very strong roof.

A good friend and former colleague of mine was on site today in a structural engineering capacity to advise on building stability whilst the helicopter was removed. The original roof had been overlaid by additional structure twice, making it three roofs the helicopter had to come through. His words were that if it had been a lightweight flat roof everyone in the place would have been killed.

AAIB will pull it a part and get to the bottom, not all air accidents result in a fire, but lack of fuel, will be on the tick off list along with gear box, and the other 1001 things. No point guessing as yet.

Ex raf pilot well trained so something's gone wrong fast. No time for distress call either, so any rattles etc or prewarning would has got a PAN / mayday from pilot. Whatever happened has happened fast.