one for the army boys

colin lad

with my eldest now in the forces my youngest (18) now has the idea that he want's to join up only he is looking at royal marines commando

any of you lads know what the joining criteria is like he is quite a lot fitter and stronger than his elder brother but i am guessing there is more to it than that?

any info would be good

colin

What do you want to now what is needed to pass the entrance tests I would say it is 70% mental being able to push yourself that bit more to complete something when your body is trying and telling you to stop when I joined from school I was certainly not the fittest

i don't think he will have too much trouble with the fitness as he is the fittest of the 3 boys buy some way

i don't know much about marines i only know what the eldest did for household

i do know marines has a reputation for being tough to get in and so am guessing a lot of it is mental a bit like the para's ???

but am just guessing hence asking as i know there is a few army lads on here

colin

My nephew has just passed the course and he said the only thing that made him want to pack was the mud run but he is 6' 2" and fit

shane my lad is 6' 1" and fit

Royal Marines do the hardest basic training of any forces, if you think its all just about being fit then think again. In some intakes its the fittest that fail to earn a green beret. Having the right mental approach is almost as important, the ability to keep going in the worst conditions sometimes while injured is what sorts marines out from the wannabes.

I remember watching one of the documentaries about the marines basic training years ago,

One of the tasks was a very long full kit march at night,

They got to what they thought was the end at the top of a large hill,

Upon getting there the instructor then said that the truck taking them back to base was at the point they started from.

One guy whinges but turns and carries on

Another guy just turns around and says ok, marches on

Instructor said the second guy will go far with that attitude

:shaun:

i don't think he will have too much trouble with the fitness as he is the fittest of the 3 boys buy some way

i don't know much about marines i only know what the eldest did for household

i do know marines has a reputation for being tough to get in and so am guessing a lot of it is mental a bit like the para's ???

but am just guessing hence asking as i know there is a few army lads on here

colin

shane my lad is 6' 1" and fit

Please don't link the two together, both outfits fight well BUT a Marine will use his BRAIN!

Please don't link the two together, both outfits fight well BUT a Marine will use his BRAIN!

:rolleyes:

That old chestnut. I've worked with members of the Parachute Regiment and the RM, and both recruit and produce tough, capable soldiers who can think on their feet. The only people who really believe that Paras are thick by or lack initiative by default are the ones who dont really know anything about them.

Its all in your head. If thats what he wants then go for it. The mind games are there to make him quit. The course weeds out the quitters. His fitness will be built up. Its not all about fitness though. Think long hours ironing and then getting the lot chucked out the window. Just accept it isn't personal - it is their job to make you want to pack it in. Some of the guys who quit just realise it isn't for them. It has to he tough to prepare you fod the job itself - it doesn't get easier after u finish basic training just a little less bs

Edited by r2d2optimax

Definately need great mental strength. However fit you are they will tire you out and see if you have the mental strength to carry on.

Run 3 miles, second mile and a half needs to be in at least 8mins 30s

One minute press ups, one minute sit ups, one minute chin ups. Can't remember how many of each, but if think at least 50 press ups, 100 sit ups. Although if he is tall, sit ups will be less.

Do Fartlek training and hill reps, both very good for fitness. And obviously lots and lots of swimming. Best of luck!

That old chestnut. I've worked with members of the Parachute Regiment and the RM, and both recruit and produce tough, capable soldiers who can think on their feet. The only people who really believe that Paras are thick by or lack initiative by default are the ones who dont really know anything about them.

I thought you were going to say the Marines.... :lol:

:shaun:

Definately need great mental strength. However fit you are they will tire you out and see if you have the mental strength to carry on.

Run 3 miles, second mile and a half needs to be in at least 8mins 30s

One minute press ups, one minute sit ups, one minute chin ups. Can't remember how many of each, but if think at least 50 press ups, 100 sit ups. Although if he is tall, sit ups will be less.

Do Fartlek training and hill reps, both very good for fitness. And obviously lots and lots of swimming. Best of luck!

on his paperwork it says 2nd mile and half 10mins

60 press ups in 2mins

100 sit ups 2mims

8 chin ups on command and level 13 for bleep test

pretty tough

Colin

Pity you couldn't use yours.

I have worked with both and stand by my comment.

The Paras fight well but require good leadership, the Marines are able to fight well on their own and are absolutely superb when combined with their great chain of command.

Well I too have worked with both and stand by my original comment!

on his paperwork it says 2nd mile and half 10mins

60 press ups in 2mins

100 sit ups 2mims

8 chin ups on command and level 13 for bleep test

pretty tough

Colin

It is pretty tough, but I've seen people pass them type of tests and then when they've been all wet and muddy lose the will to live and then call it a day.

I have worked with both and stand by my comment.

The Paras fight well but require good leadership, the Marines are able to fight well on their own and are absolutely superb when combined with their great chain of command.

Well I too have worked with both and stand by my original comment!

So you've worked with 1 or 2 Para's and 1 or 2 RM's ?

Care to expand your know how ? ... Do you have any military experience ?

As to the OP, get your lad down the boxing gym for good fitness, as well as out running etc ... I know two lads that went for RM, both VERY fit and neither of them stuck out basic training

A few of my mates wear/wore green hats :lol: and they will just tell you PMA

Positive

Mental

Attitude

And it helps to have lungs like an elephant :good:

As for Paras (they wear pink hats) being thicker, i have been on tour with them in support and they are not the "grunt" that people perceive,they are also highly trained and motivated individuals who work exceptionally well on their own or as a group.

In my opinion Marines and Paras are on a par just one falls out of planes and the other likes to play on the water,once at their objective they are both as devastating as each other.

If your Lad wants it then he will achieve it :good:

Think your confusing the Para's with RAF REG :yes: all the gear no ******* idea :yes:

But credit where credit is due,they can lift heavy weights in the gym :yes: once someone has shown them where the gym is :lol::lol: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels