UKIP... what do you know about them?

Munzy

This is bound to start a hot debate I'm sure but I'm looking for some advice and insight so hopefully we can keep this thread polite.

I was just reading their manifesto bullet points on their site and aside from the nuclear power and shale plans which worry me for environmental reasons I can't argue with anything else they wish to implement.

I am disillusioned with this wet and greedy Conservative government and I'm looking for someone who can rebuild this country. Do you think UKIP are looking in the right direction?

My only concern is that they are a carefully crafted political front for a racist, EDL, Enoch Powell type party. I don't know enough about them to know if I'm well off the mark. There is a massive difference between sensible immigration policy and racism, from what I've read their immigration policy seems spot-on.

I know policies are rarely implemented in the way they are promised pre-election but I'm holding out some hope here as I'm starting to think they are the party for me.

If you are pro-UKIP I'm keen to hear why and if you are anti I'm even more intrigued in case you know something about them that I should know!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are a long way from getting in power so they can afford to promise all sorts without the tricky problem of making it happen so popularist manifesto pledges can't be taken too seriously. That said they are building a following but that is largely for the same reason you are interested. There is no real alternative to the professional politicians we have now and peoples' dissolutionment and mistrust in the westminter clans has helped ukip no end.

Are they racists? No

Are they credible? Not yet

Are they progressive? No

Are they good for Britain's long term future? No

Just my opinion, which many on here won't agree with.

All I will say is this......if you like what they say then vote for them.

If you decide to vote mainstream rather than UKIP because you dont want another party to get in by the back door then things will never change.

I will be voting for them even though I know in my constituency I may be letting labour in by the back door but by the time of the next election...the losing parties will have had a message sent to them...change or else.

My vote will not be a vote for a UKIP government as I know realistically it wont happen....but my vote for UKIP is a message, a vote for change.

Edited by Sprackles

Enoch Powell type party.

Enoch may have been misguided in some of his views but you have to admit many of his prophesies have come about. he warned us about what would happen to this country as a result of immigration and it has. Well it has in the eyes of realistic members of the community, for those of us that are PC mamby pamby equal opportunists it's a different story but for those people can I ask what about equal opportunities for what is becoming a white anglo saxon minority in some areas of the country?

Any party that's prepared to stem this ridiculous era of political correctness, unfettered immigration and preference given to providing benefits to illegals over British nationals gets my vote.

Edited by DaveK

As long as labour don't get in ill be happy

I'm actually quite happy with the current conservative mob who are dealing with the mess that labour caused

They would probably do a slightly better job without the libs

Yup, if the Tories could get unshackled from the bleeding heart Lib-Dem sidecar, and could crack on a bit I reckon the economy would pick up faster. But immigration is going to be a massive card in the next election. Tories will have to make some kind of pledges to clamp down on it in order to spike UKIP's guns. They can't afford to just give away large chunks of the centre-right in protest votes, so any success Farage has between now and then ought to help Cameron grow a set.

its not what I know about UKIP but rather what I know about the other bent scheming traitorous corrupt scumbags, that makes me want to vote UKIP

KW

Have to agree there KW, they have just voted themselves a nice pay rise despite all 3 party leaders suggesting that they don't.

The biggest potential problem in voting UKIP is that some marginal seats could then fall to labour, the country couldn't stand another term of their craziness!

I'm not sure (from what Farage has said) that they actually want to run the country, they are refreshingly realistic enough to accept that they don't have the depth to take that on at this stage.

What they have done in spades is to highlight the very real and totally valid concerns citizens of this once great country have, that the other parties seem to have conveniently sidelined, or swept under the carpet.

I firmly believe that we risk the beginning of a very unsettled period in our countries history unless we see some serious leadership taking some serious decisions, some of which need to fly in the face of EU diktat.

Those who wish to see us as part of a mongrel European conglomerate, rather than retaining our national own identity, won't of course agree.

For those that are unhappy with the status quo and want to send a message to the big 3, why not vote for a local indpendant candidate rather than a candidate from yet another political party? Surely replacing one dogmatic political party based on ideals and controlled from a central office with another dogmatic party based on ideals and controlled by a central office is a wasted opportunity?

its not what I know about UKIP but rather what I know about the other bent scheming traitorous corrupt scumbags, that makes me want to vote UKIP

KW

there you have it thats why ukips got this far in a nut shell euro elections yes not sure about a general but the choices aint great but one has to be careful when dealing with the right there could be unpleasant charecters lurking in the wings but time will tell

Edited by overandunder2012

What I like about UKIP is that most of their candidates are real people who've had real jobs it seems a rare thing these days where most politicians graduate from university and work in various government institutions/research posts and work their way up. You can watch the UKIP official youtube channel to hear many of the lesser known members speak and I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. In my opinion they've been the victims of a campaign against them particularly by the BBC and were treated as if they are another BNP. It's only recently that they've had to be given a fair hearing on TV although it is still the case that they want Nigel Farage or nothing.

I think they're turning in to a party for the working man/woman rather than a last refuge for disgruntled conservatives. Look at the recent by elections in Labour and lib dem strong holds, they're polling 20-25% so it's not just dodgy Dave that should be worried.

As long as labour don't get in ill be happy

I'm actually quite happy with the current conservative mob who are dealing with the mess that labour caused

They would probably do a slightly better job without the libs

I don't Know why ..... We are far more in debt now than when the other shower left. .... UKIP for me they talk my language. ... Mps had no input into their future pay rise !! ( And the band played believe me if you like ).

We're in more debt now because of the deficit not because of an increase in borrowing. One thing I do agree with the cons on is cutting the size of government and that is also a main policy of UKIPs. Having said we still have to leave the EU for us to be able to cut the ridiculous level of bureaucracy we now have.

That's a really helpful start, thanks. I have to admit I haven't used the search as I've not seen it come up in discussion in the past but I've obviously missed it, I'll take a look.

Please allow me to help you... http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

What I like about UKIP is that most of their candidates are real people who've had real jobs it seems a rare thing these days where most politicians graduate from university and work in various government institutions/research posts and work their way up.

But the ones with clout are out to lunch, Munzy I suggest you do a search on Godfrey Bloom or Stuart Wheeler, just for starters.