Sleeping help ...

Lloyd90

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a hot bath just before bedtime. Can't remember the exact physiology but as the body cools down after the bath it promotes sleep.

Also, this might sound simplistic but it works for me. Generally, when I can't sleep it's because lots of thoughts and replays are running through my mind. The brain cannot think of two things at once so I repeat to myself the simple childhood prayer, 'Now I lay me down to sleep I pray you Lord my soul to keep'.

This quitens all my ramblings and the next thing I know it's morning. B)

I struggle with this from time to time. I found myself laying there thinking about work and things to do the next day. I found making a list of everything I needed to do the next day before going to sleep cleared my head.

Another thing that helped was not using the iPhone or iPad before bed. Someone told me about the bright screen triggering "wake up" feelings in the brain. Not sure how scientifically correct it is but has helped me.

Final tip... I've always found the counting sheep thing to be useless but an alternative I found really works is the car game. Starting at A move through the alphabet naming three makes of car for each letter. Put it this way... I don't recall ever getting past K!

I've had a not sleeping problem since I was a kid..60 odd years later and tried just about everything, except sleeping pills and I still don't sleep..and it doesn't matter how tired I am either..

You might try no tea ,coffee, wine after 6pm,and a crossword puzzle or two 'til your brain gets tired...getting mentally tired out is the key..

Feel for you. I can get to sleep ok but i have a tendency to wake up about 3/4am and can't get back to sleep for an hour or 2 then feel like death when its time to get up. :(

Ditto me.

3 am on the nose, adrenaline kicks in and you start thinking about the day and so the mind starts running, you finally get back off to sleep at 5 am, sleep like a log for a bit and then when it's time to get up you feel shattered.

My problem is I'm thinking about work and the next job. Sometimes even while at it with the gf I think about work which wrecks everything :(

I used to sit up until 3am worrying about work and money but then wake up at 5 for work . The worst was after my sister died and then a few mates followed by a few big accidents while racing :( I used to hit the same tree night after night which scared the hell out of me :(

2 years ago this month I was found knocked out in my van upside down . I broke my ribs / shoulder messed up and as this was the 2nd time after the same happened as a passenger with my mate .

I used to lie awake all night

Edited by team tractor

10 days a month I have to get up between 4-5am. I used to clock watch and as I saw the hours go by I would worry more and more. Now I set two alarms and turn the clocks away from me so I can't see the screens.

Now I lie there not knowing how long I've been lying there and drift off, accepting whatever sleep I get as enough. If I'm short on night one I accept it and get a better nights sleep on day 2.

Also, like a baby, build in a routine so the body gets used to the routine and knows it is going to sleep. Try and do the same thing every night such as reading a book etc...

Lastly allow enough time to get a good nights sleep.

Can't help with the waking in the night though, I do wake but I don't look at the clocks.

Best of luck, it's infuriating!

I am the opposite and could sleep on a barb wire fence given half a chance. If on the odd time mainly after coming off nights back to days I carnt drift off strait away, I just close my eyes and focus on the darkness and a black circle with a smaller black circle inside it in the distance, you travel to the second circle, but when you get to it you realise it's the same circle. Never got any further.